The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

You would have been a fun one to watch playing in our commercial B league back in the 70's in my old home town. Got to the point they were having a hard time getting officials to do the games.

I am assuming that old Commercial B league was in Creston. What team did you play on? Reffing is no fun. Their only bonus was the occasional wobbly pop.  

29 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am assuming that old Commercial B league was in Creston. What team did you play on? Reffing is no fun. Their only bonus was the occasional wobbly pop.  

It was. Did not play myself but had a number of friends and acquaintances that played. Most of the friends were either on the Lister or Town of Creston teams and not many from Canyon. Big time rivalries back in the day. Three brothers on town team were pretty good players and I am pretty sure you would know who they were without my mentioning their names. The games were certainly similar to the broad street bullies style. Referee Dave W. likened it to Saturday fight night.

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Danick Martel hockey player photoPublic Enemy #1. This jerk is only 5'8" and weighs in at a miniscule 160+.He's only played 6 NHL games in his career (1 assist). I suspect that players around the league have watched the dirty hit on Stecher, and will be aware of Martel. Some NHL players might even decide that he deserves to be treated harshly for his bush-league lack of respect game he plays. Here's hoping so. Here's also hoping a stray puck finds Cooper's face behind the bench..

That douche-y face just feels like it needs to get punched more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

You've opened a can of worms Deb. Half the CDC'rs on here will be going through their dictionaries to see what they can get away with now that you have set a precedent.:rolleyes:

You're right.  Changed it...thank you!

• Cheers 1

I think this would be a great deterrent:  have the guy dishing out a concussion sit as long as the injured player does.  Seems fair.  Then there'd be no advantage to this crap and would even things out.  Even though it doesn't account for the residue that, even after returning to the game, can be a factor.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Meanwhile, smirkin' Danick ready to suit up tomorrow night.

It's time for the Canuck's coaching staff to realize that there is a significant difference between the rules stated in the textbook and how the rules are applied by the refs in the game. Accoring to the department of players safety the head shot to Stecher was a legal hockey play. It's up to the Coaching Staff to send the following message to their players: If those kind of head shots are allowed by the refs and the league you players can also treat opponents the same way. Complaining is not the right way to deal with this incident.

• 1 month later...

Stecher has slowly but surely been making a statement this season.  His hustle and determination are making up for his lack of size.  His focus on the defensive end is paying off and I expect that soon the leash will be off allowing him more freedom in the attacking zone.  He's quick and deceptive with the puck.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

Stecher has slowly but surely been making a statement this season.  His hustle and determination are making up for his lack of size.  His focus on the defensive end is paying off and I expect that soon the leash will be off allowing him more freedom in the attacking zone.  He's quick and deceptive with the puck.

I went into the season thinking that Stecher's biggest challenge was his d-zone play. Still a work in progress but the improved puck possession, in large part due to superior FO % has really helped Stecher. HE will always be a heavy forecheck target especially in playoffs. He handles the puck well and can skate well. IMHO he is the type of player who who's game will scale up well as the skill level on the team improves.  

Stecher doesn't get enough credit. He is playing a very solid season as a third pairing guy, averaging around 18min/game. He is on pace for a career high in points despite not receiving any power play time (unlike in his first season where 8 points came on the pp), he is second best on the team with +12, he is a warrior and heart&soul guy who skates well, has puck skills and surprisingly often manages to win puck battles despite his small frame. He and Hutton could eventually become a solid 2nd pair.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, joe-max said:

Stecher doesn't get enough credit. He is playing a very solid season as a third pairing guy, averaging around 18min/game. He is on pace for a career high in points despite not receiving any power play time (unlike in his first season where 8 points came on the pp), he is second best on the team with +12, he is a warrior and heart&soul guy who skates well, has puck skills and surprisingly often manages to win puck battles despite his small frame. He and Hutton could eventually become a solid 2nd pair.

Stecher is having a better season than I thought he would. IMHO his challenge this year was to show he could play a d-zone game that would not hurt his team. He has been doing that. Saying that I would not under rate the improved puck possession game the team is playing, it helps Stecher and the whole d-core. Beagle and Sutter help his game. Better goal tending make his game look better as well. 

Not crazy about the Canucks making playoffs but if not this year then next year for sure. That will be a huge test for both Stecher and Hutton. Playoffs are a different game. It will be a much tougher game with a much heavier forecheck. I prefer Stecher face this in year 3.    

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Stecher is having a better season than I thought he would. IMHO his challenge this year was to show he could play a d-zone game that would not hurt his team. He has been doing that. Saying that I would not under rate the improved puck possession game the team is playing, it helps Stecher and the whole d-core. Beagle and Sutter help his game. Better goal tending make his game look better as well. 

Not crazy about the Canucks making playoffs but if not this year then next year for sure. That will be a huge test for both Stecher and Hutton. Playoffs are a different game. It will be a much tougher game with a much heavier forecheck. I prefer Stecher face this in year 3.    

As it turns out, this is year 3 for Stech and next year will be his 4th. I too have liked the development in his game. His year is much more similar offensively to his rookie year and his defense, while not amazing, is adequate.

I had been very excited with Stetcher earlier in his career but fealt he took a step back last year and was I became unsure how he projected long term on this blueline. BUT Stetcher’s shown me with his play this season that he may be one of the long term pieces to the puzzle that GMJB is building.