The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Gaunce is definitely bigger than Horvat. Taller than him and has a wider frame.

Can't always believe your eyes...does he feel or smell bigger?...

Taller yes by maybe 1.5" but Bo is an Ox he was playing at over 220Lbs. in the spring and Mngt. told him to work out and trim down. He is now 216 Lbs and ripped.

I think Gaunce is still at his drafted weight of 207 Lbs but he might be pushing 6' 3" now, he might still have some baby fat to convert to muscle as well.

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

Has anyone else under the impression that Gaunce gets no love from any media source, or on these boards? The guy is having an awesome start for this 1st Utica season and gets a footnote of a mention. I like Bo and Shink but this kid is solid too. Another one like him is Cassels, barely gets a mentioned before this year.

well to be fair, he's not getting any love or hate. his ceiling is not as high as our othe 1st rounders. Jensen Shinkaruk, Horvat, McCann And Virtannen all have top 6 expectations. Brendan Gaunce was considered a safer pick in what was a weaker draft year. a do it all type of player as a bottom pairing role.

Has anyone else under the impression that Gaunce gets no love from any media source, or on these boards? The guy is having an awesome start for this 1st Utica season and gets a footnote of a mention. I like Bo and Shink but this kid is solid too. Another one like him is Cassels, barely gets a mentioned before this year.

Fans will always hype up the flashier and higher profile picks.

Gaunce was a low key pick at the time he was drafted and continues to be. That's just the way it goes with players like him. If he's not scoring highlight reel goals, fans don't get excited.

I'm sure fans in Colorado were never too excited about O'Reilly either, until they saw what he could bring.

Right now, if we get any injuries up front and need to call someone up I hope it's Gaunce. He's outplayed Jensen, Shinkaruk and Horvat by miles. Yes Shinkaruk has looked good at times but Gaunce is dominating on the ice both pysically and offensively and now he's learning to round out his defensive game as well. Very impressive stats so far and I watched a couple of the Comets games, he is very noticable on the ice in all the right ways.

Say we end up with an injured top-6 forward down the line (eg. Higgins), I'd like to see us roll this:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Gaunce - Richardson - Vey

Hansen - Matthias - Dorsett

Richardson's tutelage could help him a long way, and the line could use Vey's skill which might help bring out some offence in both Richardson and Gaunce.

If Hank has some kind of injury Gaunce and Horvat will get the call before Jensen or Shink, thats the nice thing about having center depth. Also a bonus that they can play wing.

Orca-are you basing this on Gaunce/Horvat looking more ready than Jensen/Shink, or on position? I'm not disagreeing with your statement ( I think if Hank were unable to play the likely callup right now would be Horvat, who's getting called up soon to get a look anway) and am simply wondering what your reasoning was.

If Hank went down the Canucks could, if they chose, use Vey, Bonino, Richardson and Matthias as their centers and call up a winger.

Orca-are you basing this on Gaunce/Horvat looking more ready than Jensen/Shink, or on position? I'm not disagreeing with your statement ( I think if Hank were unable to play the likely callup right now would be Horvat, who's getting called up soon to get a look anway) and am simply wondering what your reasoning was.

If Hank went down the Canucks could, if they chose, use Vey, Bonino, Richardson and Matthias as their centers and call up a winger.

Horvat would be in based on his circumstance, not his play. From what I've seen, gaunce is the most NHL ready of all their first round prospects. He's been an impact player at both ends of the rink in the games I've watched.

Horvat would be in based on his circumstance, not his play. From what I've seen, gaunce is the most NHL ready of all their first round prospects. He's been an impact player at both ends of the rink in the games I've watched.

Well, he does have a year on those other prospects.

I\ve always really dGaunce and I think he is going to be an early call up to the Nucks before any of the others. He has fantastic hockey sense and he knows how to use his size. I think he makes the team before the end of this year.

He was #2 overall in his Jr draft and was projected to be a high scoring power forward, with great character. Noteable captain potential.

He's a keeper for sure.

• Upvote 2

All those guys plus Shinkaruk and Virtanen could be our top 6 in 2 or 3 years.

After the Sedins win a cup or 2 for us.

Shinkaruk / McCann / Virtanen

Gaunce / Horvat / Cassels

Cassels or McCann for 1st line center.

2nd line is a killer shutdown line and should produce lots of points.

That leaves the Sedins on the 3rd line for a year or retired if it takes 3 years for that to happen.

Actually, based on skill sets alone that top line looks pretty damn good on paper. Each player brings something unique and valuable that in theory would compliment the other two. Also that line can skate.

Gaunce and Horvat together? No, too slow.