The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

The only goal i'd give Gudbranson a little fault to is the first one. The 2nd and 3rd weren't really any issues with him. 

On the first, he had an opportunity to make a play here:

image.png.084ddb2bbc4e3669846eada368da2a02.png

But he missed the puck and it ended up in the zone. Hutton is playing the puck going deep as he sees 2 canucks players on that side already. 

Then this happened: 

image.png.ea3c67607fbe52a8aec7222eec4280b8.png

Gudbranson is wildly out of position. Motte is flat footed and Hutton is directing traffic when he should be working on closing the gap. Motte could've prevented this goal if he worked his backwards crossovers instead of stopping and pushing forward. 

Other than that, he was more unlucky to be on the ice for the other 2 goals. 

Disagree with this one.

Gudbranson made the right play stepping up at the blue-line, it's up to the low forward to support him through the middle of the ice. Gudbranson didn't break up the play but that didn't cause any issue until Motte did a terrible fly-by followed up with a desperate lunging poke attempt.

This one's on Motte for being completely useless and for Hutton calling for an offside (I think that's what he's doing) instead of controlling his gap.

Side-note: not sure what people see in Motte. He skates fast and "works hard" but for a grinder he does a lot of dumb things defensively. This play and the first goal against San Jose are a few examples from just the past couple games.

Edited by kanucks25

The entire d needs an overall (not another benning special refool) . start with NOT resigning edler.

slow and ineffective. Gud has been a 3 pair guy on his Gud nights benning over paid he hasnt even been the phyical presence he was sold as. 

Poo has been just that poo over paid to get him he wasn’t worth a 4th or a bag of pucks. 

edler has had its best season since his last contract season  im sure an over payment is coming his way so he can disappear again he gets slower and slower.

tanev has been the most steady but his age and injuries make him replaceable. 

Stecher has been the lone bright spot on this d core but with Hughes and maybe one day (although I’m not holding my breath) OJ  making the nhl three non phyical d men are going to make the goaltender life difficult when heavy teams take runs at him. 

Huttons been better this season,

not a top pair in the group. I don’t even think there’s a real #1 or #2 on this team a lot of #4s, 

the slow speed on d and the lack of physicality scoring and decent passing makes this entire group one of the leagues worst. 

Gud has been a disappointment however he does fit right in with most of the rest of the D  slow and ineffective.

i don’t think any of the farm hands could down grade this d group. Maybe schenn.

Edited by combover

1 hour ago, Skip Spence said:

Jebus Christ that sound terrible, like the worst pairing ever! 

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love EK to sign for the Canucks, he’s an amazing player. But he also, quite often in fact, forgets about his defensive responsibilities and joins the rush leaving his partner alone defending if the puck is turned over. 

You our really want that lone defender to be Erik Gudbrandson??

And don’t you think EK could use a partner that actually can pass him the puck once in a while? As opposed to icing it... :/

An open question though: I’ve noticed that many here seems to think acquiring EK is possible. What’s the reasoning here? 

They're also both right D...doesn't make a lot of sense on a lot of levels.

Now Edler/Karlsson (balanced) or perhaps Hughes/Karlsson (all offense).... those are ideas I could get behind.

As for EK coming here... There's some hope that with EP, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes coming etc that we're starting to see pieces that might actually attract UFA's. We also have a long, positive history of Swedish players including Edler and now EP who he'd likely play a lot with. We also have loads of cap space and a clear need for top 4 D. It's a good fit on many levels.

That said, while I'll keep the dream alive until he signs somewhere that's not here, IMO, in all likelihood, he's re-signing in SJS.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 250Integra said:

If I were Jim Benning, I'd be willing to bring up Luke Schenn and sit / waive / trade Gudbranson.

EDIT: Whoops didn't see the call-up haha

If Schenn isn't complete garbage, we will probably see Biega sat 1st.  And then, if Gudbranson keeps stinking up the joint, he will be sitting for the 1st time in a long time.

One aspect of Gudbranson's game that I do not like, is he chases too much.  He is so big, yet he doesn't use his size in the middle of the ice with reach and positioning to properly close off lanes and force the opposition to move around him.  For a stay at home guy, this is their bread and butter.  He needs to simplify.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Gudbranson has the 2nd worst goals against / even-strength time played in the entire league amongst regular D-men. This is despite almost never being matched up against the other team's best forwards.

The only player worse than him in this regard is Brandon freaking Manning, a player widely thought of as maybe the worst D-man in the NHL.

You can say that last night none of the 3 goals were directly his fault despite him being on the ice for all of them.

However it's a little harder to argue the reason he's atop the aforementioned list. It's not just the case of bad luck or his teammates being at fault.

Hutton, Pouliot have all had a run with Gudbranson, and all have looked terrible paired with him. Theres a piece in the puzzle that doesn't fit with every other piece on the board. Guddy has been with the same D-corps for the last 3 years and probably every pairing imaginable and hes still awful

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, combover said:

The entire d needs an overall (not another benning special refool) . start with NOT resigning edler.

slow and ineffective. Gud has been a 3 pair guy on his Gud nights benning over paid he hasnt even been the phyical presence he was sold as. 

Poo has been just that poo over paid to get him he wasn’t worth a 4th or a bag of pucks. 

edler has had its best season since his last contract season  im sure an over payment is coming his way so he can disappear again he gets slower and slower.

tanev has been the most steady but his age and injuries make him replaceable. 

Stecher has been the lone bright spot on this d core but with Hughes and maybe one day (although I’m not holding my breath) OJ  making the nhl three non phyical d men are going to make the goaltender life difficult when heavy teams take runs at him. 

Huttons been better this season,

not a top pair in the group. I don’t even think there’s a real #1 or #2 on this team a lot of #4s, 

the slow speed on d and the lack of physicality scoring and decent passing makes this entire group one of the leagues worst. 

Gud has been a disappointment however he does fit right in with most of the rest of the D  slow and ineffective.

i don’t think any of the farm hands could down grade this d group. Maybe schenn.

Sure....why keep your best D man. There are plenty others out there.  :ph34r:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

13:42 TOI for Gudbranson tonight.

Not sure if it's because he's injured or paired with a guy playing his first NHL games, but Pouliot and Biega were definitely being used as the 2nd pair lol.

Could it be that the coaching staff see Biega ahead of Gudbranson on the depth chart now? Although things might change next game after Biega's botch that led to the GWG.

6 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Not sure if it's because he's injured or paired with a guy playing his first NHL games, but Pouliot and Biega were definitely being used as the 2nd pair lol.

Could it be that the coaching staff see Biega ahead of Gudbranson on the depth chart now? Although things might change next game after Biega's botch that led to the GWG.

To be honest, Biega has been pretty bad defensively in the past few games from the bits I've seen. I think he needs to sit out for a bit.

That said, with our injuries, we probably can't afford to sit him, so he'll probably continue playing til at least one of our d-men is back.

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

To be honest, Biega has been pretty bad defensively in the past few games from the bits I've seen. I think he needs to sit out for a bit.

That said, with our injuries, we probably can't afford to sit him, so he'll probably continue playing til at least one of our d-men is back.

In an up tempo game like last night it seems Biega, with his skating, gets more room in the neutral zone. He can rush the puck or make some nice breakout passes. Heavy d-zone play works against him because of his size. I often thought he lost body position on forwards who went to the net as he stood infront of them. Then I started to wonder if his positioning was to actually see where the shot was going to come from. Like any tender it has to be hard to see around any big forward who can shield the shot coming in. He takes penalties but I have always liked his physical play as well.  

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 12:33 AM, aGENT said:

They're also both right D...doesn't make a lot of sense on a lot of levels.

Now Edler/Karlsson (balanced) or perhaps Hughes/Karlsson (all offense).... those are ideas I could get behind.

As for EK coming here... There's some hope that with EP, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes coming etc that we're starting to see pieces that might actually attract UFA's. We also have a long, positive history of Swedish players including Edler and now EP who he'd likely play a lot with. We also have loads of cap space and a clear need for top 4 D. It's a good fit on many levels.

That said, while I'll keep the dream alive until he signs somewhere that's not here, IMO, in all likelihood, he's re-signing in SJS.

Ah okay... Tbh I’m a bit of a noob with the NHL and NA pro sports. I figured that since he was traded to SJS he signed a new contract with them and that the Canucks would have to trade for him to play there. 

But with the trade SJS just took over his old contract with Ottawa? And he’s becoming an unrestricted free agent soon? Which means he can sign for anyone? 

But yeah, Edler/Karlsson behind the EP line. I can get behind that! 

Edited by Skip Spence
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Skip Spence said:

Ah okay... Tbh I’m a bit of a noob with the NHL and NA pro sports. I figured that since he was traded to SJS he signed a new contract with them and that the Canucks would have to trade for him to play there. 

But with the trade SJS just took over his old contract with Ottawa? And he’s becoming an unrestricted free agent soon? Which means he can sign for anyone? 

But yeah, Edler/Karlsson behind the EP line. I can get behind that! 

Yep, whenever a player is traded to a new team, the new team takes on the player's contract. Karlsson has one year left on his first big deal from Ottawa and will be a free-agent as of this summer (July 1, to be precise). At that point, he can sign with any team he wants, though until that time San Jose has exclusive rights to bargain with him.

• Cheers 1

On 2/16/2019 at 11:01 PM, kanucks25 said:

Might have something to do with being on the ice for 6 of the last 7 goals against!

32 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I’m not sure if it’s the guys we have or the defensive scheme that the team is using that is causing them to look so bad.

I think it's a bit of both, not a fan of Baumer. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Seriously? You're not sure?

This is what we're trotting out right now...

Hutton - Stecher

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Sautner - Biega

That is BY FAR the worst defense in the NHL - it's not even close. The fact that we're even in most of these games, let alone squeezing out some wins and OTLs, is a testament to how well the team is coached.

Uh yeah. One could argue that entire bottom-4 would not in the top-6 of any good team.

We have a 2nd pairing and two 4th pairings.

No coach is going to able to make that look good. It's a miracle we don't lose every game by 3+ goals.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

Seriously? You're not sure?

This is what we're trotting out right now...

Hutton - Stecher

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Sautner - Biega

That is BY FAR the worst defense in the NHL - it's not even close. The fact that we're even in most of these games, let alone squeezing out some wins and OTLs, is a testament to how well the team is coached.

The forwards turn the puck over a lot in our zone that causes a lot of problems for our defensemen and another thing I noticed is that we don’t cover the point very well they give them so much time and space to set up plays.

40 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

The forwards turn the puck over a lot in our zone that causes a lot of problems for our defensemen and another thing I noticed is that we don’t cover the point very well they give them so much time and space to set up plays.

Those are both on the forwards, which aren't exactly the toast of the league either.