The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

For any rookie defenceman.... one of the best praise is that their play isn't noticeable.  I don't notice Hutton as he's not making any mistakes or making risky plays unnecessarily. 

I find it hard not to notice him with the way he pushes the puck up ice. Whether he carries it up ice or makes a few hard strides then passes, it's noticeably different than what we're used to with this team.

• Upvote 1

I find it hard not to notice him with the way he pushes the puck up ice. Whether he carries it up ice or makes a few hard strides then passes, it's noticeably different than what we're used to with this team.

Exactly.  I notice him practically every shift - he is involved and pushing the puck up ice.

Yeah, just about every time he's out there he takes that extra moment or makes a little turn/dip/spin etc and does something no rookie D man should be able/confident enough to pull off as frequently as he does and I'm all:

:shock::wub::towel:

• Upvote 1

Yeah, just about every time he's out there he takes that extra moment or makes a little turn/dip/spin etc and does something no rookie D man should be able/confident enough to pull off as frequently as he does and I'm all:

:shock::wub::towel:

not drawing comparisons between the two players but you know who that poise reminds me of? 20 year old drew doughty in the 2010 Olympics pulling spin moves and whatnot in his own end. Hutton is no doughty but that type of confidence is encouraging.

OK,  so what is the scenario if his play rapidly declines in coming months? (I don't think this will happen at all) Does he go to Utica or back to his college team? 

Otherwise,

What are people's thoughts on Hutton? Been so great seeing his confidence and make some impressive plays this far. Speed, good hockey sense; pretty great pick for us.

• Upvote 2

OK,  so what is the scenario if his play rapidly declines in coming months? (I don't think this will happen at all) Does he go to Utica or back to his college team? 

Otherwise,

What are people's thoughts on Hutton? Been so great seeing his confidence and make some impressive plays this far. Speed, good hockey sense; pretty great pick for us.

He would go to Utica, pretty sure once you go pro you can't go back to college.