The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 9/24/2017 at 3:10 PM, WHL rocks said:

Dmen take time to develop. OJ will be a top pairing Dman on this team in 5 years. 

Rebuilds take many years and prospects take many years to develop. A 19 year old Dman has many years of learning to do. 

Another example of this is Matt Dumba.  wasn't until last season as a 22 year old when he finally came into his own.  

Same for Morgan Reilly and other high drafted dman.

• Upvote 1

I look forward to see how Juolevi looks with an NHL defensive partner (Tanev please) in the next couple of games.  Other rookies in the league have had the benefit of being sheltered by NHL players, while Olli has been surrounded by AHL and Jr players.

Was not expecting him to be ready this year anyway.  Sometimes the players that are very smart and efficient look lazy and disinterested.  They are in position so don't need to hustle into it making dramatic looking plays.  A lot of what Olli does is very subtle especially away from the puck.  He makes great little pick plays on offence, seems to read the play very well.  These things don't show up on the scoreboard always but have a big influence on the team's success.  Kind of like how when Jake is in front of the net and the Canucks score, there is no assist for the screen but it directly influenced what happened.

Olli has been walked around a few times and is having to find a way to adjust to the NHL forecheck.  I imagine for a D man there is no substitute that can get you ready for the speed and size of true NHL forwards.  Do wish he could go to AHL this year. 

Going to Finland and working with Salo would be my preference for the year even though I could go see him more in London.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I look forward to see how Juolevi looks with an NHL defensive partner (Tanev please) in the next couple of games.  Other rookies in the league have had the benefit of being sheltered by NHL players, while Olli has been surrounded by AHL and Jr players.

Hopefully,he does get in these couple of pre season games....I would like to see how he responds to playing when there is at least structure in the play.

21 hours ago, higgyfan said:

he was surrounded by AHL players on both sides of the ice, the opposing teams when easy on us and dressed pretty AHLish lineups.

7 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

he was surrounded by AHL players on both sides of the ice, the opposing teams when easy on us and dressed pretty AHLish lineups.

I heard in the games v Calgary and Edmonton the difference in NHL experience was over 1000 games, especially on the D.  Olli will be better with better players on his team.  We should keep him here, play him in our top six.  

• Upvote 3

On 24/09/2017 at 10:40 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Juolevi was playing with a rookie and that's why he wasn't on the top pair. Mete did average more minutes on average if I recall correctly though. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on Sergachev though. I think his ceiling is extremely high and the chances of him hitting have gotten higher now that he can learn how to do it from Hedman. 

Mete is on the Verge of cracking the Canadiens roster after being phenomenal in camp. I think it's safe to say Mete was on the top pairing because he was better. 

• Upvote 1

Lets see what Olli does with NHL talent around him, sometimes its easy to play down to your opponent and your teammates if they are at a lower level. I can see him rising up to the higher level.

Also Montreal defence <<<<< Vancouvers. So realistically Olli probably would have made that team too, they have Shea Weber and nobody else.

58 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Mete is on the Verge of cracking the Canadiens roster after being phenomenal in camp. I think it's safe to say Mete was on the top pairing because he was better. 

Aside from Weber, the Canucks defense corps is better than what the Habs have. Even Juolevi played lights out this pre-season, I doubt he would have made the team either way. 

2 hours ago, pluralsight said:

Aside from Weber, the Canucks defense corps is better than what the Habs have. Even Juolevi played lights out this pre-season, I doubt he would have made the team either way. 

But he didn't, he's been average. Mete is doing what Stecher did last year. It's ok to give props where props are due. Mete played incredible last season for the Knights on the top pairing and is now turning heads in Montreal. Its not because they have a $&!# defense, it's because he's good and at this point better than Juolevi.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

But he didn't, he's been average. Mete is doing what Stecher did last year. It's ok to give props where props are due. Mete played incredible last season for the Knights on the top pairing and is now turning heads in Montreal. Its not because they have a $&!# defense, it's because he's good and at this point better than Juolevi.

I'm not downplaying Mete at all. I'm sure you're right about him and I've heard that he's played well. I'm just saying he has a better chance of making the Habs lineup than Juolevi does at making this team (regardless of how he's played). And remember Stetcher never made our team out of camp last year, despite how well he played. 

3 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

OJ was paired with Bouchard to insulate him for most of the season, but when the Knights beat the Spitfires, OJ was paired with Mete on the 1st pair. He was the better overall defender last season and his coach put him in the best spot for the team's success.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Keep in mind, there are better players drafted in the lower rounds sometimes lol. It happens every year. But it's just way to early to say mete will be the better player, and if so.... Who cares, that stuff happens all the time. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, cyoung said:

Keep in mind, there are better players drafted in the lower rounds sometimes lol. It happens every year. But it's just way to early to say mete will be the better player, and if so.... Who cares, that stuff happens all the time. 

If Mete pans out better than Juolevi, that would be a monumental failure of Benning and the scouting department. Not only could you have taken the obvious pick in Tkachuk, but you could have had a better defenseman 3 rounds later. People should lose their jobs for those kinds of decisions. So who cares? The owner. That's who.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Great Granny said:

If Mete pans out better than Juolevi, that would be a monumental failure of Benning and the scouting department. Not only could you have taken the obvious pick in Tkachuk, but you could have had a better defenseman 3 rounds later. People should lose their jobs for those kinds of decisions. So who cares? The owner. That's who.

How would have things panned out if we drafted 1 or 2 spots earlier and we got Dubois, or Puljujarvi?

15 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

So Mete was playing RD to Joulevi's LD on the PP last year. On the pure d-side Hunter played Joulevi and Mete was sitting. When it was crunch time it was Joulevi who logged most of the TOI. Glad that Mete is doing well in Montreal but their backend is in serious flux so I am not surprised Mete is getting ice. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, cyoung said:

I'm def not saying Mete will be better in the long run, just right now judging by they're play last year and play in camp Mete seems to be further ahead in development.

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

So Mete was playing RD to Joulevi's LD on the PP last year. On the pure d-side Hunter played Joulevi and Mete was sitting. When it was crunch time it was Joulevi who logged most of the TOI. Glad that Mete is doing well in Montreal but their backend is in serious flux so I am not surprised Mete is getting ice. 

It probably has to do a lot with their playing styles, Mete stands out a lot more as a fast puck moving offensive guy whereas Juolevi plays a safe quiet game. It just bothers me when people make lame excuses for average play or downplay another player/prospect to feel better about how a Canuck prospect is doing.

• Upvote 3