The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I agree with everything you say except Im not so sure hes going to turn out to be the impact player some are thinking he will be.  11 goals is great, its not like it hasnt been done before.

In the end it comes down to this - if Juolevi turns out to be a top pair D man - I will choose a top pair dman every time over a top 6 winger.  Every time.... unless we are talking about point per game guys - and I doubt he is that good.  And for that I reserve judgement until Juolevi is at least given a chance to show us what he can do when he makes it to this level.

Agreed.  The other aspect I don't like about MT is that he 'seems' to be a bit over the edge with his play.  The last thing I want is another Canuck to be labelled as a dirty player moving forward for another 10+ years.

I'm with you on the top pair dman as well.  Would be huge if Juolevi became a true #1D, and Demko becomes a franchise goaltender. 

Anyways, I have faith in Juolevi, but I think it'll take some time.  He seems too smart of a player not to succeed. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So...how about that Kopitar?  Sure showing us for not picking him eh

Thats a good one.  The other good example is Marian Hossa back in 97.

I can only imagine how Canuck fans would be panicking if we ended up picking third and took PLD who looked llike a plug in the WJC and has taken more than half a season to crank out respectable point totals in the Q.  They might be wishing for Juolevi !

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

That's besides the point.  The point is, Tkachuk was put into that position, and he took off with it.  If he wasn't an impact player, he would have fizzled out and be sent back down to the juniors (cough... Virtanen... cough).  As much as it hurts to admit it, the Flames got a helluva player in Tkachuk.  We better hope (well, GMJB better hope even more) that Juolevi becomes that #1 or #2 dman he's touted to be...

This is so funny. Lets reap in the logic.

1) Tkachuk is helluva player, sure doing extremely well for being in a perfect situation for his skill set.

2) Impact player not so much. He again was placed in a smart position by the coach as a support player just like Kunitz.

3) Chemistry of line mates has a lot to do with his success thus far. Just about any player with some skill and drive could produce with two top 20 NHL players if the chem is there. Burrows with the Sedins.

4) Being placed with two top 20 NHL player in their prime and getting better only works in Tkachuk favor. It no secret Tkachuk success on London was his hard work along the boards along with his skill to get the puck to two highly skill players in Dvorak and Marner. He is doing the same in the NHL. He also can drive the play every once in a while, but I think Thachuk might be the luckiest player in line mates that complement his playing style.

5) Would not happen for Thachuk in the same way on just about any other team.

6) Thachuk could not have dreamed of a more perfect landscape for his development.  Perfect in every way for this kid. 

Edited by vancan2233

22 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

1) Tkachuk is helluva player, sure doing extremely well for being in a perfect situation for his skill set.

2) Impact player not so much. He again was placed in a smart position by the coach as a support player just like Kunitz.

3) Chemistry of line mates has a lot to do with his success thus far. Just about any player with some skill and drive could produce with two top 20 NHL players if the chem is there. Burrows with the Sedins.

4) Being placed with two top 20 NHL player in their prime and getting better only works in Tkachuk favor. It no secret Tkachuk success on London was his hard work along the boards along with his skill to get the puck to two highly skill players in Dvorak and Marner. He is doing the same in the NHL. He also can drive the play every once in a while, but I think Thachuk might be the luckiest player in line mates that complement his playing style.

6) Thachuk could not have dreamed of a more perfect landscape for his development.  Perfect in every way for this kid. 

Wait... what?

Are you talking Mikael Backlund and Michael Frolik?  You do know MT doesn't play on a line with Johnny Hockey and Monahan right?  And even if he did, they're not exactly having great seasons either. 

MT is also 2nd highest scorer on the Flames behind Backlund.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Wait... what?

Are you talking Mikael Backlund and Michael Frolik?  You do know MT doesn't play on a line with Johnny Hockey and Monahan right?  And even if he did, they're not exactly having great seasons either. 

MT is also 2nd highest scorer on the Flames behind Backlund.

My bad though for sure he was getting a lot of time on the first line even though the line up on paper does not show it.

28 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

My bad though for sure he was getting a lot of time on the first line even though the line up on paper does not show it.

Your assessment wasnt that far off iMHO..

Backlund has been the flames most complete player this year.  Frolik isnt chopped liver either, hes got 31 points and is a plus.  Both pretty good defensive players.  Its an ideal situation to put a rookie into since those are the right guys that will cover his arse in case of a defensive lapse (Frolik and Backlund are a better defensive combo than Monahan and Johnny boy)

tkachuk's rookie season rivaling that of his fathers

good thing we have the grand scout master benning picking our top picks now...

first with bieber, now with this. who the hell needs the next keith tkachuk anyway? when you can draft a project from a country like finland... who are just known for sh***ing out high quality NHL defensemen on a regular basis....

id take keith tkachuk over the greatest 2 finnish defenceman in history put together. 

Juolevi better be really really REALLY  special, cause this is definitely looking like another big time miss for benning..  and I have to repeat what burke said, and is proving on the ice.

You ABSOLUTELY have to get those top picks right if you want to get anywhere in the NHL. 

Just now, sam13371337 said:

tkachuk's rookie season rivaling that of his fathers

good thing we have the grand scout master benning picking our top picks now...

first with bieber, now with this. who the hell needs the next keith tkachuk anyway? when you can draft a project from a country like finland... who are just known for sh***ing out high quality NHL defensemen on a regular basis....

id take keith tkachuk over the greatest 2 finnish defenceman in history put together. 

Juolevi better be really really REALLY  special, cause this is definitely looking like another big time miss for benning..  and I have to repeat what burke said, and is proving on the ice.

You ABSOLUTELY have to get those top picks right if you want to get anywhere in the NHL. 

I mean Kimmo Timonen carved out a pretty nice career...and the Fin's have been developing some of the better NHL prospects in the last couple years at all positions (look into this draft more)

You can't judge a player by his country alone man. Kopitar, Ehlers, and Hischier are great examples of that

But you're right.... MT has 1337 skill. Much dangles. Very sauce.

;)

Juolevi will probably be a good top 4, but there's no sugar coating the fact they missed out big on Tkachuk. He's exactly what they hoped Virtanen would become.

That's two out of three drafts now we missed on impact players. We do it again next draft and it's bye bye Benning.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Juolevi will probably be a good top 4, but there's no sugar coating the fact they missed out big on Tkachuk. He's exactly what they hoped Virtanen would become.

That's two out of three drafts now we missed on impact players. We do it again next draft and it's bye bye Benning.

Ya but Lockwood and Boesser are absolute steels! Tkachuck could have a career ending injury and Juolevi could play 15 seasons in the NHL. Its not fair to judge until after. That being said Tkachuck looks like the 3rd best player of his draft class and he could play 15 seasons and be a future hall of famer. Juolevi might not be good enough for the NHL. Last year had a lot of really good prospects. Juolevi was high on every scouts list. His gift is his IQ passing skill and how smooth he is with the puck. Reminds me a bit of a Sedin on defence! Lets hope we draft a stud first line forward this year!!

So let's see, JB should have drafted, Ehlers instead of Virtanen, Pastrnak instead of McCann, and Tkachuk instead of Juolevi.

Our lineup this season could have been

Baertschi-Horvat-Ehlers

Pastrnak-Granlund-Tkachuk

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Burrows-Sutter-Eriksson

$hit, that's cup caliber lineup and there's also Boeser coming up. So much for JB being the draft guru. He f*cked it up big time. Only if we still had Gillis.

3 minutes ago, khay said:

So let's see, JB should have drafted, Ehlers instead of Virtanen, Pastrnak instead of McCann, and Tkachuk instead of Juolevi.

Our lineup this season could have been

Baertschi-Horvat-Ehlers

Pastrnak-Granlund-Tkachuk

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Burrows-Sutter-Eriksson

$hit, that's cup caliber lineup and there's also Boeser coming up. So much for JB being the draft guru. He f*cked it up big time. Only if we still had Gillis.

Pastrnak I would give him a pass on because alot of GMs passed on him, and McCann was highly ranked.

Every ranking had Ehlers higher than Virtanen and Tkachuk higher than Juolevi however. Virtanen's speed and grit just don't make up for his lack of hockey sense. That was the year to go for elite hockey IQ over grit.

Tkachuk was an opportunity for Benning to make up for his mistake of taking Virtanen, yet he chose a player because of position not BPA. The funny thing is, this upcoming draft is probably our best opportunity to get the puck mover we needed in Liljigren and/or Foote.

We just gotta hope certain later pick forwards surprise and make up for the missed picks.Can't afford to keep picking just good prospects that high.

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

Ya but Lockwood and Boesser are absolute steels! Tkachuck could have a career ending injury and Juolevi could play 15 seasons in the NHL. Its not fair to judge until after. That being said Tkachuck looks like the 3rd best player of his draft class and he could play 15 seasons and be a future hall of famer. Juolevi might not be good enough for the NHL. Last year had a lot of really good prospects. Juolevi was high on every scouts list. His gift is his IQ passing skill and how smooth he is with the puck. Reminds me a bit of a Sedin on defence! Lets hope we draft a stud first line forward this year!!

12 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

Let's not forget Tkachuk's dominant performance at the 2016 WJC where he was probably the best forward on team USA. He would have been an impact rookie just about anywhere in reality. I'm not here to pump his tires but he is a helluva young player and he's only going to get better. What at he has done in Calgary at that age is impressive. I think most fans were, and still are genuinely surprised we passed him over.