The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

I still like the Juolevi pick over Tkachuk. For all we know 5 years from now Juolevi could be a multiple Norris winner and Tkachuk might not be in the NHL. Its foolish to say you simply should have taken X player over Y after half a season.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Right. Because I have the opinion that we shouldn't have passed on a great prospect I'm a Flames fan...:rolleyes:

Lets all just praise everything management does and never question anything. Good little sheep right? Give us your wallets.

No, this is an OJ thread. I'm not sure why you're talking about Calgary Flame, Mathew Tkachuck in an Olli Juolevi thread on the Canuck forum.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

No, this is an OJ thread. I'm not sure why you're talking about Calgary Flame, Mathew Tkachuck in an Olli Juolevi thread on the Canuck forum.

Wasn't even the one that brought his name up. ;)

There's always going to be comparison of prospects after they're drafted. It happens every year. Don't like it? Don't read it.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Calling him the "god Tkachuk" would imply sarcasm. 

You seriously think a little playful sarcasm is bashing Deniro? Well if that's the case I'm soooooo sorry I hurt your feelings and will write you an apology letter ASAP lol. Seriously though I know your just a passionate fan like everyone else and just want the Canucks to succeed and finally get to the promised land. At the end of the day were all on the same team, we just have different opinions and that's okay. Honestly I would have loved to see a player like Tkachuk in our lineup as well but for me I'd like to see Juolevi even more. The fact that THIS YEAR Tkachuk is putting up points doesn't really help my case but THIS YEAR the Canucks were not winning the cup so I'm not that bothered by it. I think we can find another player of Tkachuks style of play in the draft hopefully. For now though to each there own, apples to oranges, etc etc etc. 

25 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Thanks for the link. Out of curiosity I went to the Tkachuk thread to see what they were saying: Bennett should be traded or sent to the AHL to develop as a C and debating whether bringing their young players in too soon like Tkachuk will end up with bad development paths like previous Oilers prospects.

Why would they be thinking this? Although Tkachuk is having a great rookie season, other players such as Bennett, Monahan and Gaudreau have regressed this year. They seem to be worried that rushing these players into the league has put too much pressure on them and effected their longterm development path. This too could happen with Tkachuk in the following years. It could also not happen and he continues to be successful. But I think it is key to remember that it is quite difficult for a young teenage rookie to come into the league with initial success and sustain that over their entire careers. I think it is quite possible that Tkachuk regresses next year as other players take more space and time on the roster.

I am of the belief that the longer Joulevi takes to get to the NHL the better. We should groom a prospect like this into their potential #1/2 role. There is no reason to push his development in this regard as we do not need him next year. If he isn't dominating in the CHL and demonstrating that he needs higher competition, then leave him there until he does dominate both defensively and offensively. Leading the London Knights defensemen with 37 points in 45 games is pretty good and an improvement over last year, but I would not say he is dominating yet. He went into a slump when Mete was out of the lineup, but he definitely plays better with him as his defensive partner whom is a little more of an offensive defenseman. Maybe, hopefully, we see him turn it up a step in the playoffs as well. 

Bang on with pretty much everything HB.

I'd be just fine if he goes back to London next year (we don't have space for him anyway) and spends at least part (if not all/most) of the following season in Utica. Shame he can't go there next year though. It'd probably be better for his development.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

How old is Juolevi? 

People wanting Tkachuk now are same that wanted Nikushkin and for the same reasons.

The same who degraded Horvat for being in juniors while Nickushkin was scoring in the NHL

Juolevi is like Horvat.  A FUTURE investment for what we'll have need for.

Congrats to Tkachuk for being a decent player.  But he's not what we needed for the future he's what we need 4 years ago.

Juiolevi might become an elite number one d man.  That's HUGELY important for us.  Even if he's only a solid second pair we come out good

11 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

He's going to be a goodie. I love his possession first mentality. No stupid blind wristers from the point.

Watching that makes me wish that he was a little bit older so he could play with the Sedin's. His possession game is perfect for them.

5 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Yea, it's gonna be a tough 13-16 years of having the exact same tactics for the powerplay. 

Dumb draft pick considering our PP. 

I think he was criticizing our defenders on our PP, and not the pick itself. I actually thought his comment was pretty funny, and I like the Juolevi pick. 

The only thing that gets me going more than posters on here judging last years draft already are the talking heads on Team1040 that do the same thing. Do they do it just to stir up controversy?

I was listening this morning on my way to work and one of them was talking about the Leafs making the Eastern Conference Final. Forget who it was but I can't stand hearing him talk. Almost every show I listen to he is saying the most ridiculous things and another guy always calls him on it but he continues to defend his stance. Drives me nuts.

Not sure why people keep bringing up M.T.  There is no way the draft can be undone - and talking about coulda-shoulda-woulda ad nauseam is about as effective as talking about missing out on Kopitar, Hossa, Paul f@#$# Coffee, and a plethora of other good players that the Canucks could have taken.

In the end if Juolevi pans out to what he has been projected to be ( a top pairing d man) , and him turning out  as projected is NOT AT ALL FAR FETCHED, the draft pick was an excellent one because I would choose a top pairing D man over a top 6 winger (unless said winger is a ppg  or ppg+ player) every time.  Every single time.

Can we just talk about Juolevi?  Can we talk about his progress, stats, post highlights and forget that Calgary chump. As soon as chucky boy put on that horrid meat rot  fascist beer hall  RED  Jersey I wrote him off.... Sheesh!

Edited by Darius71
  • Upvote 4