The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Juolevi is the one pick I can't bring myself to defend completely. He is still young and I still think he'll be good for us. But I wanted Sergachev at the draft. Seeing some of the d-men taken after Juolevi not only in the NHL but doing quite well is a tad disappointing. He could still outperform them overall, but it is very unlikely. With that said I don't consider him a 3rd round pick. He is 1st round talent, just maybe not 5th overall talent as of right now. Banking a lot on Salo making something of Juolevi. Still gotta believe in our young guys. Not to outperform other people in the draft but just to become productive members of the organization. 

I'm hoping he can be a Dan Hamhuis type player which IMO is very likely and possible. I mean  he does have 14 points in 20GP in the liiga league scoring historic numbers for a U19 defenseman and has 2 assists in 4 games played at the world juniors while being a very smooth, calm presence. Yes there are still nuances in his game which needs fine tuning but again patience.

If he comes to camp in shape and ready this time around, he'll most definitely crack our roster. He'll have more room to succeed in the NHL rather than the AHL 

Edited by Odd.

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I'm hoping he can be a Dan Hamhuis type player which IMO is very likely and possible. I mean  he does have 14 points in 20GP in the liiga league putting historic numbers for a U19 defenseman and has 2 assists in 4 games played at the world juniors while being a very smooth, calm presence. Yes there are still nuances in his game which needs fine tuning but again patience.

If he comes to camp in shape and ready this time around, he'll most definitely crack our roster. He'll have more room to succeed in the NHL rather than the AHL 

Yeah it's doubtful he'll make a super impactful difference like McAvoy or Sergachev, but he can still be a solid do it all defencemen. Hammer is one of my fav Canucks of all time. So if Juolevi follows a similar path I'd say that's pretty good for a 5th overall pick. People just gotta simmer down with expectations on the guy. Draft is over and done with and he did not choose to be selected where he was. Just gotta cheer for him and hope for him to succeed.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah it's doubtful he'll make a super impactful difference like McAvoy or Sergachev, but he can still be a solid do it all defencemen. Hammer is one of my fav Canucks of all time. So if Juolevi follows a similar path I'd say that's pretty good for a 5th overall pick. People just gotta simmer down with expectations on the guy. Draft is over and done with and he did not choose to be selected where he was. Just gotta cheer for him and hope for him to succeed.

Sergachev is a good young defencemen but I feel his point totals have been inflated due to playing a lot of pp with stamkos and Kucherov. Olli would put up similar numbers in my opinion besides the goal scoring. McAvoy looks like a steal and is probably gonna be the best defencemen of that draft class. Hamhuis was great in his prime and was a huge factor in the cup run I wouldn’t mind a replacement with more physicality.

11 hours ago, combover said:

So had we drafted MT and he had already played 100nhl games and had a bunch of point and was filling a role this team has missed since burrows Torres laperrie Cooke ruutu all guys you must have hated . you be here  today saying man I wish we drafted OJ because he looks like a solid #3/4 dman in another years or so And you would be critizing benning picking MT.

i find that hard to believe in fact it’s unbelievable, from the post I’ve read of yours and a few others critiquing anything benning has ever done would be sacreligious. 

im sure OJ will be a fine nhl  dman one day.

You dont draft a Burrows, Torres, Cooke, Laperriere with a 5th OA pick. You draft Ekman-Larsson.

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Joulevi is more like a 3rd round pick than  1st meh JB lost that one I guess.

While I haven't been particularly impressed with what ive seen so far from him, it is way, way too early to suggest he's on the level of a typical 3rd round pick.  (Which is basically saying he probably wont make the NHL)

I'm pretty sure he will be a defenseman for us... but doubt he's going to be the hoped #1 guy.  He's probably going to be a #2 at best or a very good #4 at worst... but even that's too early to say.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

Sergachev is a good young defencemen but I feel his point totals have been inflated due to playing a lot of pp with stamkos and Kucherov. Olli would put up similar numbers in my opinion besides the goal scoring. McAvoy looks like a steal and is probably gonna be the best defencemen of that draft class. Hamhuis was great in his prime and was a huge factor in the cup run I wouldn’t mind a replacement with more physicality.

I also feel Sergachev is benefiting greatly from one of the most devastating offensive teams in the league, but he did make that team. Juolevi isn't good enough to get on one of the worst teams in the league but Sergachev cracked one of the best rosters in the league. I still think we have a good player, don't get me wrong. Draft is so hard to predict, even the first round of the draft can be hit and miss.

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I also feel Sergachev is benefiting greatly from one of the most devastating offensive teams in the league, but he did make that team. Juolevi isn't good enough to get on one of the worst teams in the league but Sergachev cracked one of the best rosters in the league. I still think we have a good player, don't get me wrong. Draft is so hard to predict, even the first round of the draft can be hit and miss.

Yes. Its such a crap shoot at times. I watched OJ at the summer prospects camp and came away somewhat disappointed. However I have seen a big improvement to his game already. He's looked real good at the world juniors. He's quicker with his reads and more decisive. I still say the more structured the game is the better he will look.

14 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

True and well said. 

At the draft I was hoping for PLD or Chykrun. I saw PLD as prefect C/LW and thought that Chykrun was dropping without merit. 

My biggest concern with OJ and MT was that their points were inflated from playing on such dominant teams. 

The extra reason not to take MT as that he was the son of Keith. Not everyone takes after their dad, thank god... but I wouldn’t want Keith anywhere near the nucks. 

As to whether or not OJ makes the NHL. I’ll take a bet that he will.  Anyone want to give odds he won’t? ;) His skill game, poise and skating were there at the draft. Now he is 6’3 and is playing around 200lbs.  

He hasn’t yet, to be sure, but I see him making the cut by next season. Added to that he will

be eligible for the AHL and can be sent up and down without waivers. 

Was never high on Serge and hardly knew about McAvoy. Shows what I know about scouting!  

EmW

Yes, MT is a real mixed bag.  Saw highlights of 2 more goals he got last night ... hard not to notice.  But he inspires bad feeling among opponents, which can be a problem.  Three suspensions already.  

Your point about OJ playing on dominant teams is interesting.  A role as a helpful defender on a superb Finnish national junior team could have made him look better than he was.  Just getting the puck to Puljujarvi and Laine as often as possible would be good for a couple of points a game.   And his junior team in London has been good for years. Throw in plenty of pp time and you have significant point totals.  Much harder to spot a future Pietrangelo (Chykrun?)  

5 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Yes, MT is a real mixed bag.  Saw highlights of 2 more goals he got last night ... hard not to notice.  But he inspires bad feeling among opponents, which can be a problem.  Three suspensions already.  

Your point about OJ playing on dominant teams is interesting.  A role as a helpful defender on a superb Finnish national junior team could have made him look better than he was.  Just getting the puck to Puljujarvi and Laine as often as possible would be good for a couple of points a game.   And his junior team in London has been good for years. Throw in plenty of pp time and you have significant point totals.  Much harder to spot a future Pietrangelo (Chykrun?)  

For sure. Its a coin toss at times. For D It is difficult to fight through fore checks and board battles and checks to get the pucks to the forwards. OJ has shown he can do that. Just needs more time to put it all together with consistency. Tools, size, smarts all there.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dazzle said:

It's funny you write this. Since I'm judging by your 'super aggressive' response, I think you're pretty biased against Juolevi. I'm not.

Here's the facts: Juolevi's largely been invisible in this tournament. Even Ferraro, who's been praising Gadjovich AND Pettersson, has been critical of Juolevi's play. He says he may not be creative enough offensively.

So he's doing an okay job defensively, but he needs to step up offensively. No argument from me there.

But... the entire Finnish team is pretty slow compared to the US. Their offense is good but defense (which includes Juolevi) is suspect, along with goaltending.

Heiskanen, the beloved 3rd overall pick, is looking like a pylon out there. It doesn't make Juolevi look better, but it shows you how weak the Finnish team actually is.

Ferraro...is a mouth without a brain...and he even says as much his own self..calling himself "In a total dazze most of the time" .but still keeps running the mouth because that is what he gets paid for.

I have 0 amount of faith in anything he says....

9 hours ago, combover said:

20 years old 72 pts in 113 nhl games what a plug.....lol. Or the Way better 0 nhl games and 0 points.

scoring wins not character. Unless you think Chi,LA are all character players on those cup winners.

Clearly we like differnt hockey. 

You want to worship those who disrespect the game, knock yourself out.   Based upon your posts, it seems to make sense though.   

Hockey has has been my life - I respect life. :)

9 hours ago, combover said:

20 years old 72 pts in 113 nhl games what a plug.....lol. Or the Way better 0 nhl games and 0 points.

scoring wins not character. Unless you think Chi,LA are all character players on those cup winners.

Clearly we like differnt hockey. 

You left out Pitts. No MT douchebag type during their three cup run. Don't look now but Tampa and Nashville looking good without a player with that circus act. Not denying MT has talent. But you can win without players with his attitude. Will see how Flames do this year in playoffs before passing further judgement. Didn't work out last year for them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rekker said:

For sure. Its a coin toss at times. For D It is difficult to fight through fore checks and board battles and checks to get the pucks to the forwards. OJ has shown he can do that. Just needs more time to put it all together with consistency. Tools, size, smarts all there.

Watched the USA vs Finland game to focus on Joulevi. To date coaching has had him mostly on the d-side of the game. He plays a pretty reliable game in his own zone and DOES have a decent outlet pass. What I saw yesterday was that coaching was having Joulevi press into the ozone much more. He was seeing PP time. Who was on the ice when the Finns pulled their tender? Joulevi! 

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Watched the USA vs Finland game to focus on Joulevi. To date coaching has had him mostly on the d-side of the game. He plays a pretty reliable game in his own zone and DOES have a decent outlet pass. What I saw yesterday was that coaching was having Joulevi press into the ozone much more. He was seeing PP time. Who was on the ice when the Finns pulled their tender? Joulevi! 

I am very critical of OJ to the point where people think I'm biased against him. I wish him to succeed just as much as any other player in our system. All that aside I will say this; his outlet pass is the most impressive part of his game. IF he gains possession in his own end that puck is coming out of the zone. He hits forwards in stride with ease. Hoping he can man the point on the Pp and we won't have to see anymore drop passes.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

I am very critical of OJ to the point where people think I'm biased against him. I wish him to succeed just as much as any other player in our system. All that aside I will say this; his outlet pass is the most impressive part of his game. IF he gains possession in his own end that puck is coming out of the zone. He hits forwards in stride with ease. Hoping he can man the point on the Pp and we won't have to see anymore drop passes.

I understand the thinking behind the drop pass as teams try to spread the gap but agree with you that it can be hard to watch. The forwards often stand at the blueline waiting for the d-man to come up. Everyone seems to be using it. 

Another play the Swedes are using on the PP all the time is the short pass into the middle off the half wall and then a return of the puck back out. Designed to break down the box but most defenses are not being suckered. The cross ice pass from board to board is also hard to watch as it does not work most attempts. Rather the point shot with bodies to the net. Old time hockey!