The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I only saw the third but he looked tired. There was a play where they were hemmed in for a second and then got it out. The D went for a change and I saw the way he went off he looked exhausted from the shift. With the time off in the summer his conditioning probably isn't quite at the NHL standard.

The powerplay thing is a great example of his strength however. I see/hear the Hamhuis comparison all the time but to me his best game is more about strong puck movement. In the offensive zone he's great at distributing the puck. Its what he's always been good at since I first saw him on that Gold Medal WJC winning team Finland. He's probably better as a powerplay distributor than Pouliot or Hutton. He reads the play well and can make quick plays upon receiving the puck. I think they should try him as the top guy on the PP. 

Posted this in another thread. I really wish they'd give him a chance on the powerplay. Also I agree with MCF's post about the physical aspect. From the bit I saw it looked like his conditioning could stand to improve. If he can do that I'm sure he would be fine playing in this league.

Starting the year in Utica will be fine for him, hopefully he can work on those aspects and hopefully he gets some powerplay time. I still think we will see him up with the big club later in the year. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

Dominance can come later if it comes. If one is expecting that this early from a prospect, then they might as well expect to be disappointed because it's simply an unrealistic perspective to have in my opinion.

Let the kids adjust to the NHL first. It saves having unneeded ulcers. ;)

I’d agree if he was playing against nhlers but When hes playing against players he should be better than he should be a force or at the very least notiable, EP had some dominant moments sautner has as well as well as some others. Expecting a top prospect 3 years after his draft to be better than the 5th and 6th round picks he was playing against is hardly high expectations.

It’s been one preseason game if he wants a nhl spot then he needs to be noticeable he wasn’t hopefully the next game he is otherwise it would be hard to say he “earned” a spot over anyone else. 

24 minutes ago, combover said:

I’d agree if he was playing against nhlers but When hes playing against players he should be better than he should be a force or at the very least notiable, EP had some dominant moments sautner has as well as well as some others. Expecting a top prospect 3 years after his draft to be better than the 5th and 6th round picks he was playing against is hardly high expectations.

It’s been one preseason game if he wants a nhl spot then he needs to be noticeable he wasn’t hopefully the next game he is otherwise it would be hard to say he “earned” a spot over anyone else. 

There’s a reason why he’s the only top 10 in his draft year to not play a game in the nhl yet. There’s usually one bust in every top 10. I hope it’s not him but what I saw last night doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. 

• Wat 1

Correct me if I am wrong.  Didn't he have back surgery over the summer?  Didn't he miss almost the entre summer training in recovery?  He was arguably our most responsible defenseman last night while looking gassed.

And people are still not happy?

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Correct me if I am wrong.  Didn't he have back surgery over the summer?  Didn't he miss almost the entre summer training in recovery?  He was arguably our most responsible defenseman last night while looking gassed.

Yes, he did have surgery. That's why I feel he should start in Utica since he missed so much training. But, he still looks good. I can't stand the idiots acting like he is a bust. He was only drafted two years ago, yet people are whining and crying because he isn't destroying the league. I'm pretty sure it was always expected that he'd take a few years before making the NHL. He wasn't drafted for instant gratification.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

he only really had 4 weeks of training, which is not really enough for a 20 year old.  

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Exactly!!! The part I don't understand is that people here still love the potential of Alex Nylander (7 NHL games) and Jake Bean (0 NHL games) and would gladly take either one in the Canucks system right now but somehow Juolevi is a complete bust..... :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

There’s a reason why he’s the only top 10 in his draft year to not play a game in the nhl yet. There’s usually one bust in every top 10. I hope it’s not him but what I saw last night doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. 

Such a bad post, leads me to believe you didn't even watch him play. He was arguably our best D, conditioning is a tad off but expected considering he has surgery. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

Such a bad post, leads me to believe you didn't even watch him play. He was arguably our best D, conditioning is a tad off but expected considering he has surgery. 

And that he's only 20...

It's been pretty evident why we drafted him this preseason IMO. Smart, simple, calm plays, sublime skating/passing and constant forward puck movement.

That's not to say that given his shortened off season/recovery and the fact that he's still only 20 doesn't mean he couldn't use 3/4 of the year (and playoffs) in Utica.

I think it's hilarious we're still seeing comments on his lack of 'flash' and that he hasn't looked dominant etc too. Talk about not getting it.

2 hours ago, zduck14 said:

Exactly!!! The part I don't understand is that people here still love the potential of Alex Nylander (7 NHL games) and Jake Bean (0 NHL games) and would gladly take either one in the Canucks system right now but somehow Juolevi is a complete bust..... :rolleyes:

Who wants A. Nylander or Bean over Juolevi?

19 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

So because there's "usually one bust in every top 10" that's your reasoning as to why Juolevi hasn't played a game? There must be like some NHL officials that meet in a room saying "there must be one player in every top 10 that needs to be a bust! Make that happen!" huh? Who needs to think that every prospect goes his own path when we can compare them all with each other and expect a bust in a certain draft bracket like it's some number crunching machine that has a standard to maintain right? :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, combover said:

He IS playing against NHLers. Obviously, not the entire team, but certainly a good portion of the team. He's also defense and, as you said earlier, the fact that he wasn't noticable also shows he's doing the small things. If he does the small things, he has something to build on. If you expect that "dominance" before all of the small things, especially in a defender, then you are going to be disappointed by prospects who are actually good and showing promise.

If you were talking about forwards, I would agree with you to an extent, but these are defenders. There's a different mindset for them and dominance, in my opinion, is far down the list of desires.

I gotta say this prospect look DOA in my opinion. There is several other D prospects that went after him that has had more of a impact on their clubs. 

The most difficult thing in hockey is gaging defense. Erik karlsson went 15th in 08 4 other D went before him including Luke Schenn. Toronto could've had Erik Karlsson.

Hopefully im wrong but if not I hope we trade him while value is high for a top 6 forward. 

Edited by City-in-state-of-emergency
  • Wat 2

24 minutes ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

So Oli got sent back to Finland and no one is really discussing this kid. 

I gotta say this prospect look DOA in my opinion. There is several other D prospects that went after him that has had more of a impact on their clubs. 

The most difficult thing in hockey is gaging defense. Erik karlsson went 15th in 08 4 other D went before him including Luke Schenn. Toronto could've had Erik Karlsson.

Hopefully im wrong but if not I hope we trade him while value is high for a top 6 forward. 

Wait what? Where is the news for this?

On 9/20/2018 at 12:03 PM, Major Canucks Fan said:

I don't know what everyone here is whining about and I usually don't post but had to chime in. I was actually at the game last night and watched Juolevi closely. So he made about 25 to 30 plays total the entire game. I count a play this way: 

1. Puck retrieval. Getting back to the puck and making a decision on where it goes. 

2. Pass

3. Breaking up plays, interceptions, takeaways

4. Battle along the boards

5. Pressure contain on odd man rushes.

The way you scout a player is this. 2 simple questions:

1. Did he make the best available decision given all information available to him.

2. Is he able to physically execute the play given the decision he made. 

So out of 25 to 30 plays, he probably made the absolute best choice about 80% of the time. And that is by far the best out of all of our d man last night. It wasn't even close. I watched the other d man and juolevi made the right reads far better than any defenceman. This included edler. Because sometimes when I was watching the other d man play I would ask what in the world were they thinking? Except Juolevi. Now, he did make a couple of blunders but nothing significant. The other 5 guys I can't say the same. And the blunders were more associated with 2. physical ability than 1. So where does he need to improve on? He needs to be stronger and faster is the issue. His reads are impeccable but sometimes he isn't able to execute it. For example, there was a play whereby his physical positioning of stick and body was perfect to separate guy from puck but he couldn't do it because he wasn't strong enough. But I think that part will come. 

Now, here are things that you miss when you are not watching live. He was one of the few defenceman who understood sometimes the best play was to let a puck go by you to the other guy. He used small touch passes to diffuse hard situations. His stick positioning was great. On odd man rushes he was able to defend two guys at once and diffuse the situation whereas our other guys would just leave guys wide open (see just about every dman other than him). Also notice the number of odd man rushes that came against the canucks, very few came while he was on the ice. 

Lastly, on two passes to gudbranson he made the same pass but at two different speeds. That is impressive. One he zipped because he correctly calculated the interception distance and on another he feathered because he knew it would help gudbranson with his shot. 

All in all a very good game. Btw, if you didn't think he had a good game, look at the stats. How many goals was he on the ice against? He somehow made gudbranson look good which was actually really impressive cause every time gudbranson handled the puck the entire stadium could see that it was like he was handling a live grenade. 

I can only see what my TV showed and admittedly I was left with a "meh" impression. Based on what you wrote, clearly I was wrong to do so. You need to post more often. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

Wait what? Where is the news for this?

Read it on London Free Press not sure if it's incredible source but it noted that Oli was sent back.

https://lfpress.com/sports/hockey/junior-hockey/five-things-to-follow-in-the-knights-2018-19-season

Edited by City-in-state-of-emergency
  • Wat 1