The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 hours ago, bleedblue2017 said:

I have looked at 3 different scouting reports on Oli, they all have different hights and weights, lol. So I just took a ballpark average, those reports do confirm your claim about smarts, skating, and puck movement. Like i said I can't wait to see him in action in camp, and who knows maybe preseason, i really hope that he is every bit as good as you say, we really need that on the blue line:)

Linden said at this years development camp that he's up to 6'3" now. Those scouting reports are likely at least a year old.

And yea I hope all those tools translate to the next level.

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

He can't go to Utica. He either makes the Canucks (and given his 9 games), or he's going back to London. I wouldn't mind him going back to London for another year, before making the jump to the Canucks :)

Honestly I would rather have him dominate in London for another year under the eye of the amazing coaches they have.

9 hours ago, numb3r 16 said:

Honestly I would rather have him dominate in London for another year under the eye of the amazing coaches they have.

Yep. some patience is needed for this young and upcoming dman. 

Juolevi will make the team next season, that much I predict. He'll be really close to making the team this year! 

I think Jared McCann proved what can happen to a young physically immature guy over an 82 game schedule. Mentally OJ4 could play in any league in the world, but he is going to need his body to catch up to his brain before he is ready for the show. He just turned 18 in May so it only makes sense to let him fill out for another year at least.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

He didn't have to say that hes going to be a top pairing guy, so I'm assuming Trevor definitely believes that.

I believe that too, but I just don't see TL saying anything less than a top pairing guy.  

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

There is an article on the score that states linden just said juolevi is going to London next season barring a miracle.

I think that's the general consensus here too. I'm expecting him to be in London next year. One more year won't hurt.

Edited by Odd.

41 minutes ago, Derp... said:

It's funny that in the video that they featured him before the draft the management group called him top 4 and called Sergachev a top pairing Dman. Looks like that was smoke and mirrors?

I'd think that points to their potential usage. Sergachev has higher risk of not reaching his ceiling and a skillset best suited to that top pairing type of play, where Juolevi can also be a top pairing guy but his skillset makes him more versatile if he doesn't reach that ceiling.

I think its best he gets sent back next year, following year is AHL tune up, then phase him into the NHL by the age of 20. fair right?

Cause right now, he probably does have NHL sense, and NHL decision making, and NHL calibre, but we have to be careful too, although his playing calibre might be NHL ready, his body might not be ready yet.  All it takes is one hit, he's injured out for 6 weeks, and another injury and may start piling not.  Not to mention the physical grind of a NHL schedule, can really wear out a NHL defender espeically if he's not "physically" ready.  Yes he's ready, his body also needs to build up.  I say since he's a defencemen, they take hits alot, takes  a "TON" of hits, send back to the developement, let him eat up 23-24 minutes of ice time in London, let him then learn the physical game in the AHL at around 18-20 minutes of ice time then phase him to top line minutes towards the final 20 games. 

the following season start him up at around 16 minutes of ice time then go from there. 

The objective of the 2 year window is too "physically" prepare him for the NHL.

• Upvote 2