The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:45 PM, Dazzle said:

It doesn't "prove" anything. He's a bust if he doesn't ever make the NHL. Juolevi's going to make the NHL. He'll go on crutches if he has to, but he'll make the NHL...

That was sarcasm....if you read the whole reply...it is obvious I don't think Oli is a bust....I am trying to show how ridiculous it is to say that a 21 year old defenseman is a bust because he hasn't played in the NHL yet.

Most NHL D. played there first year in the NHL well after there 21'st birthday.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That was sarcasm....if you read the whole reply...it is obvious I don't think Oli is a bust....I am trying to show how ridiculous it is to say that a 21 year old defenseman is a bust because he hasn't played in the NHL yet.

Most NHL D. played there first year in the NHL well after there 21'st birthday.

But but not the superstar league destroying dmen. If Olli is not a #1 dman, he's a bust. We drafted him over Tkachuk for goodness sake!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

But but not the superstar league destroying dmen. If Olli is not a #1 dman, he's a bust. We drafted him over Tkachuk for goodness sake!

If my prediction holds true...even if it takes one more year...that Quinn and Oli will be our best D. in the playoffs...

That would trump....bad choice of words there....anything that Tchapuke has done so far.

2-3 years from now we will BEGIN to see who is the more valuable player.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Y'all must have forgot.

Now imagine those cross ice passes going to Pettersson and Boeser. The kid's vision is off the charts.

prince john no GIF

Tkachuk 4everzzz!!! (Sergachev and MacAvoy too!!!)

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Y'all must have forgot.

Now imagine those cross ice passes going to Pettersson and Boeser. The kid's vision is off the charts.

OJ is a big boy.  Great skills too, but I forgot just how big he is.  I like. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

what the hell is this, Dallas and Colorado took inferior players instead of Pettersson if they don't pan out are they busts too? wth is this.

But but Hesikanen and Makar have played NHL games already. Not busts at all! Only bust is OJ!!!

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

OJ is a big boy.  Great skills too, but I forgot just how big he is.  I like. 

good skater too. 

Tkatpuke is not the kind of player we want or need. We need better defence, and its coming. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I guess Puljujarvi doesn't even exist then

We never had a chance at Puljujarvi as he was drafted before us. We should've drafted Tkachukzzz! We drafted OJ, therefore he's the only bust. Fire Benning!!!

• Haha 1

I'm excited to see him this season. I could see him in Utica at the start for potential conditioning but I think he is NHL ready. He won't come in and knock your socks off but he'll steadily get better and better as the season goes on. Juolevi has excelled/started to excel at every level he's been at. I think he'll be a good scoring D-man for us. At his draft he was touted as a two way guy but I think he'll known primarily for point producing. Not an elite point producer mind you. I don't expect him to score on the level of a OEL but he should produce on the level of a Edler. Hit you with 40ish points with steady as she goes defense.

He'll never be a talent on the level of Tkachuk but I was never an advocator of comparing players to those drafted after them. Juolevi didn't choose to be drafted ahead of Tkachuk or Sergachev so we shouldn't hold that against him. He's gonna be a good to great top 4 D-man for us. He has that kind of talent and I think fans, or at least hope, they get over who we could have drafted cause crying about that changes nothing and holding it against Juolevi is idiotic. This should be a great eye opening season for us in terms of what we have with Juolevi and I am pretty excited to see what he has. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I'm excited to see him this season. I could see him in Utica at the start for potential conditioning but I think he is NHL ready. He won't come in and knock your socks off but he'll steadily get better and better as the season goes on. Juolevi has excelled/started to excel at every level he's been at. I think he'll be a good scoring D-man for us. At his draft he was touted as a two way guy but I think he'll known primarily for point producing. Not an elite point producer mind you. I don't expect him to score on the level of a OEL but he should produce on the level of a Edler. Hit you with 40ish points with steady as she goes defense.

He'll never be a talent on the level of Tkachuk but I was never an advocator of comparing players to those drafted after them. Juolevi didn't choose to be drafted ahead of Tkachuk or Sergachev so we shouldn't hold that against him. He's gonna be a good to great top 4 D-man for us. He has that kind of talent and I think fans, or at least hope, they get over who we could have drafted cause crying about that changes nothing and holding it against Juolevi is idiotic. This should be a great eye opening season for us in terms of what we have with Juolevi and I am pretty excited to see what he has. 

I take exception to that statement...as I said a few posts ago...in 2-3 years we can BEGIN to say which is likely the better player....a top pairing D. is more valuable than a 2nd line prick...any day...

Even then...Oli could find another offensive gear at age 25 ( 4 years from now) and be a 50-60 point D.man...at age 25...so likely a 70 point D. man for at least a couple of his prime years...if that happens, it doesn't matter what Tchupchuke does, short of perennial 100 point seasons....Oli will have proven to be more Talented and more valuable. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I take exception to that statement...as I said a few posts ago...in 2-3 years we can BEGIN to say which is likely the better player....a top pairing D. is more valuable than a 2nd line prick...any day...

Even then...Oli could find another offensive gear at age 25 ( 4 years from now) and be a 50-60 point D.man...at age 25...so likely a 70 point D. man for at least a couple of his prime years...if that happens, it doesn't matter what Tchupchuke does, short of perennial 100 point seasons....Oli will have proven to be more Talented and more valuable. 

I mean, yeah that's true. I think Tkachuk is a bit more than a "2nd line prick" though. Dude averaged near a point per game on top of being an agitator. But you're right. Juolevi could become an elite level d-man and that would indeed be more valuable than a top line LWer. I think a lot of people undervalue Tkachuk cause they dislike him. Lol. Which is fine.

All I was saying is it doesn't matter how good anyone from Juolevi's draft class becomes. At the end of the day all that matters is what Juolevi becomes to us. We have him and all the crying in the world about the draft won't change that. I do think Juolevi's ceiling is very high, just not so sure he reaches it. But I think we are very fortunate to have Hughes and Juolevi, both could be big pieces for our blueline going forward. We desperately need young quality d-men.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2