The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I saw that play too.  And it was an ugly one for sure.  But every NHL D man gets beat wide.  Some just look better while getting turned.  

You see that MacKinnon goal the other night? I'd love to see any D that he wouldn't have turnstiled there.

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

there once was this guy named Bobby Orr, maybe you've heard of him. He was pretty good at hockey.Here is a list of his awards

1966-67 NHL Calder Memorial Trophy
1967-68 NHL James Norris Trophy
1968-69 NHL James Norris Trophy
1969-70 NHL Art Ross Trophy
1969-70 NHL Hart Memorial Trophy
1969-70 NHL Conn Smythe Trophy
1969-70 NHL James Norris Trophy
1970-71 NHL Hart Memorial Trophy
1970-71 NHL James Norris Trophy
1971-72 NHL Hart Memorial Trophy
1971-72 NHL Conn Smythe Trophy
1971-72 NHL James Norris Trophy
1972-73 NHL James Norris Trophy
1973-74 NHL James Norris Trophy
1974-75 NHL Art Ross Trophy
1974-75 NHL James Norris Trophy

he played 36 games after that 74-75 season when he won the Norris and Art Ross trophies.

He had knee problems.

There's been an advance or two made in medicine, surgery, physio etc since the mid 70's FYI.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I feel like I am watching different games than most, but I genuinely believe Juolevi was a top 6 player this season. It made me very upset that we didn't see him get more looks. He looked head and shoulders better than Benn. And I'd argue he looked better than our top 4. Simple, defensively sound. Which is saying something given how much of a sieve our team defense was this past season. I dunno, feel like our coaching staff just leans on the safe players too much.

I hope that we change Baumgartner for next year.  It is critical with Hughes Juolevi and Rathbone all developing together that they get top D coaching.  What could be more important to their development and reaching potential than that? And I don't believe they have received top coaching to date.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's been an advance or two made in medicine, surgery, physio etc since the mid 70's FYI.

oh, that is good to hear.

I did not know that.

so, is it true that Oli is not playing on a wooden leg?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

there once was this guy named Bobby Orr, maybe you've heard of him. He was pretty good at hockey.Here is a list of his awards

1966-67 NHL Calder Memorial Trophy
1967-68 NHL James Norris Trophy
1968-69 NHL James Norris Trophy
1969-70 NHL Art Ross Trophy
1969-70 NHL Hart Memorial Trophy
1969-70 NHL Conn Smythe Trophy
1969-70 NHL James Norris Trophy
1970-71 NHL Hart Memorial Trophy
1970-71 NHL James Norris Trophy
1971-72 NHL Hart Memorial Trophy
1971-72 NHL Conn Smythe Trophy
1971-72 NHL James Norris Trophy
1972-73 NHL James Norris Trophy
1973-74 NHL James Norris Trophy
1974-75 NHL Art Ross Trophy
1974-75 NHL James Norris Trophy

he played 36 games after that 74-75 season when he won the Norris and Art Ross trophies.

He had knee problems.

I saw Bobby Orr dominate the 1976 Canada Cup like I've never seen anyone dominate a tournament, including Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux in the 1987 Canada Cup.  All the while playing on two bad legs. 

It's a shame that Bobby Orr didn't play during a period orthopedic surgeons perfected arthroscopic knee surgeries.  He probably would have been able to play another 10 years and without the pain he probably played with his whole career.  I was a kid in the 1970s, and I remember just how great Orr was, and just how tough he was.  There has never been another defenceman like him ever. 

He never looked right in the 26 games he played in a Blackhawks jersey over three seasons.  I'll forever remember him as a Bruin.  And pretty much every player owes him a debt of gratitude for the $6 million contract he signed with the 'hawks in 1976.  He opened the doors to the "mega" contracts.

One of my fondest memories as a young adult of 25 years old was doing a recreational skate at the Pacific Coliseum when Bobby Orr hosted his annual "Skate with the Stars" in 1990.  I got a chance to meet Bobby Orr and he was without doubt, one of the nicest men I've ever met in my lifetime. 

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You see that MacKinnon goal the other night? I'd love to see any D that he wouldn't have turnstiled there.

did you see the play we are talking about?

Oli's leg looked locked from hip to ankle.

I have seen trips, slips, toe picks, stumbles, loss of edge and a whole assortment of other falls.

If this was a one off, which I hope it was, great.

if it is recurrent or worsening, then Oli is not far from done.

So far I see one poster that saw it and 2 of you arguing about your greater love for Oli.

Please come again

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

I have seen trips, slips, toe picks, stumbles, loss of edge and a whole assortment of other falls.

So far I see one poster that saw it and 2 of you arguing about your greater love for Oli.

Please come again

I saw the play you are referring to.  IMO, Olli needs 20 to 40 games to fully acclimate himself to the pace of the NHL...if we're having the same conversation in February 2022, then I'll be a little concerned.  But til then, I think Olli deserves the benefit of doubt.  Gonna state the obvious here...all young d-men need a little time to adapt to the pace of the NHL.

Olli will be just fine.  But why don't we re-visit this next February?  Fair enough?

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I saw the play you are referring to.  IMO, Olli needs 20 to 40 games to fully acclimate himself to the pace of the NHL...if we're having the same conversation in February 2022, then I'll be a little concerned.  But til then, I think Olli deserves the benefit of doubt.  Gonna state the obvious here...all young d-men need a little time to adapt to the pace. 

Olli will be just fine.  But why don't we re-visit this next February?  Fair enough?

Fair enough.

like I said, it was a one off

I was just wondering if anyone had real info on such

here's hoping for the best

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

I hope that we change Baumgartner for next year.

If they were going to move on from him, he wouldn't have been re-upped. Clearly Green wants him, so it's an all-in coaching group. They win or fail together.

But I agree. I understood an argument for Green, but I thought for sure Newell and Nolan just had to be tossed. Guess Green does not agree.

41 minutes ago, kloubek said:

If they were going to move on from him, he wouldn't have been re-upped. Clearly Green wants him, so it's an all-in coaching group. They win or fail together.

But I agree. I understood an argument for Green, but I thought for sure Newell and Nolan just had to be tossed. Guess Green does not agree.

They haven't extended the assistants yet. Last I heard they were reviewing everyone and would potentially be offering extensions in the near future.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They haven't extended the assistants yet. Last I heard they were reviewing everyone and would potentially be offering extensions in the near future.

I thought I heard Benning say they were "going to be resigned" or something to that effect.

I'm almost sure of it. Though perhaps specific names were not used, so...

...so you're saying there's a chance...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

Please come again

He looked pretty fatigued to me near the end which likely resulted in the poor reads and getting caught flat footed more often. I'm assuming covid affected a lot of his play. He looked way better mid-season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

Fair enough.

like I said, it was a one off

I was just wondering if anyone had real info on such

here's hoping for the best

It's quite not February 2022 yet, but I thought I would add one last point...

I've seen the leg "buckling" on many defencemen without it being a chronic fundamental turning issue...seen it happen on Tanev (who arguably may be the best at pivoting while in defensive posture I've seen) and Willie Mitchell (who arguably may be the best shut-down d-man Canucks have had).  I'm probably grasping at straws to support my eye test, but I personally don't see Olli having "turning" weaknesses. 

2 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I saw the play you are referring to.  IMO, Olli needs 20 to 40 games to fully acclimate himself to the pace of the NHL...if we're having the same conversation in February 2022, then I'll be a little concerned.  But til then, I think Olli deserves the benefit of doubt.  Gonna state the obvious here...all young d-men need a little time to adapt to the pace of the NHL.

That's exactly what I was trying to point out - you need a larger sample size. Afaik, OJ's hockey IQ and playmaking ability are his calling cards and have never been in question. During the draft, iirc, those were the 2 things he pointed out were his strengths. It was always his skating that people have pointed out as a big area of improvement. Imho, he doesn't need to get it to an elite level; he "just" needs to get it to an above-average level for a D-man, and then he can start realizing the number 2 D-man potential that JB said he was hoping for when he drafted him.

15 hours ago, HKSR said:

There has been so much pressure on OJ to become a Top 2 defenceman, but in reality, I think he will top out as a Top 4.  Which is completely fine at this stage given the top pairing LHD is Quinn Hughes.  Watching OJ play this past season, you can see the swagger, the size and strength, and the puck moving ability. 

Honestly, I see Alec Martinez as a comparable, or even Jonas Brodin.  Give OJ a couple more years and he will be a regular in the Top 4 and be able to eat some big minutes.

I agree. People think just because OJ is this top draft pick that hes going to skate like the wind like Quinn and Boner that hes going to be this dynamic D-man. He doesn't need to be. Thats not his game. Its perfectly fine for him to be just a steady dman that fires crisp passes, he'll still have some value to the team. He's not going to be a Norris trophy winner but certainly capable of topping out as a top 4 pairing guy, which ANY team will take with a player drafted in the first round. OJ has shown enough that hes at the very least a capable roster player, but Im telling ya, those laser passes of his, thats just a tease of what his capable of

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I completely agree with this. I'm not sure if it's recency bias or what, but pre-covid I thought OJ was looking good. He definitely didn't play enough, and post covid looked pretty rough though. I hear a lot of hate on OJ, and maybe that's because he looked not so good while Rathbone looked surprising solid at the end of the season. I have increased high hopes for the next couple years after what I saw from OJ this year overall.

If the guy drafted after wasn't Matt Tkachuk, people wouldn't be making a big deal out of it. IMO Rathbone just looked ok, theres potential there but I wouldn't peg him to be the guy to just give up on OJ yet. Remember Lee Sweatte ( i forgot how to spell his name)? Looked pretty good when he was here, had a shot, can skate, but hes out of the league but sure looked pretty out there on the ice. Troy Stetcher, not as fancy, still in the league. If OJ even becomes Troy Stetcher, thats  already a win for us

On 6/9/2021 at 10:36 AM, Sativika said:

.A great showing with London Knights and promising AHL start, only to be plagued by a couple of bad injuries that hindered his development. And a graduated slow intro with the 'Nucks in one playoff game last season, and 20/30 odd games in his rookie campaign this season.

Much like Flow had and off year post injury and personal family stuff, and then having a great comeback season; I would venture that Oli will come out of it and find his game, whatever it may be. We just gotta be patient for now with his deployment. 

All the hype will be on Rathbone but I think OJ will slide in quietly as an every game player come opening night

• Cheers 2