The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

38 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Olli will be just fine , relax and enjoy the show.

And Quinn Hughes...as Olli, Quinn and Jack (and hopefully Jett) mature and gain experience at the NHL level, the Canucks back end will be solid for years to come.  Just need a couple more behemoth defensive stalwarts and all will be fine.

• Hydration 3
On 6/23/2021 at 8:20 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

I feel like as fans in general people have become too impatient with young defensemen. It takes years to learn that side of the game and not be a liability from time to time. 

You know Jimmy, you are right! (Now go show this to your wife! LOL)

But seriously, I have no problem trading one of our LHD to fill in the void on RHD

But we need to know how good they are first.

All 3 really have not had alot of experience..........IMO, we should give it a year, then lets talk about it.

• Hydration 2
1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

But seriously, I have no problem trading one of our LHD to fill in the void on RHD

All 3 really have not had alot of experience..........IMO, we should give it a year, then lets talk about it.

Woo probably not ready this year even for a call up. I think he'll start getting call us to the big club next year if he continues to trend well. 

I think Rathbone makes it but probably not as a top four defenseman. Bottom pairing guy to start with until he gains more of Green's trust. I could be wrong and he just Höglanders it. 

27 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Woo probably not ready this year even for a call up. I think he'll start getting call us to the big club next year if he continues to trend well. 

I think Rathbone makes it but probably not as a top four defenseman. Bottom pairing guy to start with until he gains more of Green's trust. I could be wrong and he just Höglanders it. 

Yeah I'm not sure how to tell how ready a defensive dman is for the jump, but I'm guessing the best way to see is to get them some games via call ups to see how they fair versus NHL competition.

Seeing how Fox did, I wouldn't be surprised if Rathbone transitions well coming from the same program and becomes a solid impact player right away.

2 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Yeah I'm not sure how to tell how ready a defensive dman is for the jump, but I'm guessing the best way to see is to get them some games via call ups to see how they fair versus NHL competition.

Seeing how Fox did, I wouldn't be surprised if Rathbone transitions well coming from the same program and becomes a solid impact player right away.

I think Fox is definitely a better player than Rathbone. But I wouldn’t rule out Rathbone from being an impact player for the Canucks. 

He showed well in the 16 games he played in last season. I expect some good things from him this upcoming season. 

Woo on the other hand, I’d love for him to make the team, but I just don’t see it. I think he needs another season of seasoning in the AHL with Abby. 

• Hydration 1
10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

we've been together for 23 years Jan, that ship sailed a long time ago

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I like OJ, but if I had to bet right now between OJ and Rathbone I'd bet Jim trades OJ if he can upgrade the right side in particular. 

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Fox is definitely a better player than Rathbone. But I wouldn’t rule out Rathbone from being an impact player for the Canucks. 

He showed well in the 16 games he played in last season. I expect some good things from him this upcoming season. 

Woo on the other hand, I’d love for him to make the team, but I just don’t see it. I think he needs another season of seasoning in the AHL with Abby. 

Oh definitely, Fox is already an elite #1 d-man. I'd be happy with Rathbone being a solid second pairing guy. Anything more is gravy.

Fox had no issues transitioning from College Hockey to the NHL so I'm hoping the same for Rathbone to improve our backend strength next season. Didn't look out of place the games he played imo.

Edited by MrCanuck94
1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Oh definitely, Fox is already an elite #1 d-man. I'd be happy with Rathbone being a solid second pairing guy. Anything more is gravy.

Fox had no issues transitioning from College Hockey to the NHL so I'm hoping the same for Rathbone to improve our backend strength next season. Didn't look out of place the games he played imo.

Rathbone had no problem transitioning into Foxs position when he got drafted either. Actually did a lights out job. nothing suggests rathbone wouldn't have the same success fox is having his first year. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Rathbone had no problem transitioning into Foxs position when he got drafted either. Actually did a lights out job. nothing suggests rathbone wouldn't have the same success fox is having his first year. 

Bone is awesome, but he’s not going to get the Cherry minutes that Fox gets, so he won’t put up big points. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Bone is awesome, but he’s not going to get the Cherry minutes that Fox gets, so he won’t put up big points. 

Rathbones first nhl goal against edmonton was a beauty. He 'll just have to work harder which isnt a problem for this kid. 

• Vintage 1
2 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Rathbones first nhl goal against edmonton was a beauty. He 'll just have to work harder which isnt a problem for this kid. 

Yup.  He’s a great young talent.  I think he is already ahead of OJ.  

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I agree that he didn't look out of place. But he also didn't play a ton and I forget what his matchups were. But I'd be willing to bet that Green was shielding him as well. Maybe I'm wrong. Can't remember. 

19 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

2 different styles, both very much needed.

Feel like Juolevi is more of a defensively defenseman and Rathbone is more an offensives defenseman. Your right. Two different styles of play. Both are very much needed. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

For sure, but also important to temper expectations. If I recall correctly, he also got some PP1 mins alongside Quinn, which I never expected to happen at all the next decade barring injury. Kid's gonna be a beauty.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we've been together for 23 years Jan, that ship sailed a long time ago

I like OJ, but if I had to bet right now between OJ and Rathbone I'd bet Jim trades OJ if he can upgrade the right side in particular. 

I am not saying it will happen, but a trade with the rangers

Rathbone for Braden Schneider would not surprise me

I would not like it, but it would not surprise me

54 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Cmon bro you know that would be a great trade for us lol B)

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

it would me. I think Jim's pretty high on Rathbone and I'm not sure he moves him for someone that hasn't proven they can play in the NHL.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1