The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

18 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Wonder if they are working on a deal to move up to 3 and then take Pettersson at 5?

I could see that for sure. Glass or Vilardi at 3 then Pettersson at 5? Our center issues would be solved for the next decade+. 

From looking at the rankings there is so much variation after the first two picks that I suppose I wouldn't really call anyone ranked in the top 20 off the board. 

Arguably the best player in the 2011 draft, Scheifele was ranked 16 from NA skaters going in and taken at number 7 as a skinny kid who is now playing about 30 pounds heavier than he was drafted which I am pointing out as a great example of not bowing to popular opinion when it comes to making great draft picks.

Even our own Bo Horvat was ranked at 15 among NA players and 21 by THN in 2013, good talent analysis and maybe a bit of luck is essential.

Edited by GarthButcher5
  • Upvote 1

Interesting. Why not both? Tanev can surely land a 10th overall pick, no? That pick can be used for picking Petterson.

Adam Larsson and Tanev basically fill the similar role with Tanev having better possession numbers, meaning that he can move the puck better than Larsson wheras Larsson is a heavier player than Tanev.

If Larsson got Hall, then, Tanev gets you a top 10 pick. If I were JB, I would work out a trade with LA, Florida, or Carolina and if Petterson is still available at that position, pull the trigger on the trade.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

IMO, Mittelstadt would be the right pick for the Canucks at #5.

I don't think I'd spend the assets required to move up in the draft, but might consider dropping down to later in the first round, if the compensation was attractive enough.

Whether a soft or a hard rebuild, I feel that Vancouver should be stockpiling draft picks for the next couple of seasons.

:unsure:

Screenshot_2017-06-03-22-13-56-1.png

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Wonder__Bread said:

Seems my eye for talent isn't that far behind Bennings ;) I'd love Pettersson at 5th overall, he may just end up to be one of the best players in this years draft. 

Trade down if they are drafting Pettersson.

3 hours ago, Wonder__Bread said:

Seems my eye for talent isn't that far behind Bennings ;) I'd love Pettersson at 5th overall, he may just end up to be one of the best players in this years draft. 

No thanks. I would rather not watch this for the next decade every post-season. 

BB170104JM075.jpg

2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

:unsure:

Screenshot_2017-06-03-22-13-56-1.png

The caption doesn't say if that was his first attempt or if he had just banged off 3 sets of 20 and was struggling on the last one.  I'd like to know, before forming an opinion about the pic. 

If I knew I had a fitness testing coming up that was gonna land me my dream job and possibly more money (signing bonus) if I did well. You'd better believe I'd be training hard up to that date. Which is even more baffling on how Mittelstadt did so poorly. It has to be an injury.