The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 hour ago, runtzguy said:

Tbh, I only see these players as the core of the future.

?                   Horvat              Boeser

Dahlen             ?                    ?

Granlund          ?                     Virtanen

?                      ?                       ?

Defence:             Stetcher     Juolevi

?                ?

?                ?

I dont disagree completely but Goldy, Gaudette, Zhuk, Lockwood at forward all have great potential. Even guys like Gaunce Labate and Mckenzie may surprise. 4th liners are always changing, easily replaceable and hard to predict so I won't mention them. On D we have Brisebois, Tryamkin(if he returns) and Subban as well, all very likely to make the Big league one day. I think were missing true top line and top D talent though and that will need to be sought soon,

?            ?         Boeser

Goldy         Horvat          Granlund

Dahlen   Gaudette/Zhuk   Virtanen

Juolevi     Stetcher

Try?          ?

Brisebois     Subban

Oh and lets not forget DEMKO

• Upvote 1

Was just watching Cale Makar's 2016/2017 highlights. This kid would change our team. Tyramkin's loss hurt. If we don't draft a potential #1 D man we never will be able to trade for one. This guy has elite offensive skill. Mitch Marner like. If we trade Tanev for a mid first say 15 we might be able to draft Nicolas Hague. This would set up our D core moving forward and provide us with a flashy Norris potential player. Juolevi is smart enough to work well with Makar and be his defensive rock when he makes rushes.  Hague has the mean "Pronger" edge we were looking for in Tyramkin. He has a bomb of a shot. Could be a Chara like player and a steel at 15. Hague would help with team toughness and keep other players honest around Makar. Maker has the making of a superstar! Next year we target a top 6 center like Jack Wise. 

Granlund Horvat Boesser 

Goldobin Dahlen Virtanen

Beartchi Gaudette Boucher 

McEwan McKenzie Lockwood

Juolevi Makar

Hague Stetcher

Brisebois Subban  

Demko 

Markstrom

Edited by kenhodgejr

15 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Was just watching Cale Makar's 2016/2017 highlights. This kid would change our team. Tyramkin's loss hurt. If we don't draft a potential #1 D man we never will be able to trade for one. This guy has elite offensive skill. Mitch Marner like. If we trade Tanev for a mid first say 15 we might be able to draft Nicolas Hague. This would set up our D core moving forward and provide us with a flashy Norris potential player. Juolevi is smart enough to work well with Makar and be his defensive rock when he makes rushes.  Hague has the mean "Pronger" edge we were looking for in Tyramkin. He has a bomb of a shot. Could be a Chara like player and a steel at 15. Hague would help with team toughness and keep other players honest around Makar. Maker has the making of a superstar! Next year we target a top 6 center like Jack Wise. 

Granlund Horvat Boesser 

Goldobin Dahlen Virtanen

McEwan McKenzie Lockwood

Juolevi Makar

Hague Stetcher

Brisebois Subban  

Demko 

Markstrom

In a perfect world where every single player becomes the best they can be..... 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Granlund Horvat Boesser 

Goldobin Dahlen Virtanen

McEwan McKenzie Lockwood

Juolevi Makar

Hague Stetcher

Brisebois Subban  

Demko 

Markstrom

I'd rather they draft Lilijgren this draft and Rasmus Dahlin the next draft. Imagine the future of our D-corps with two swedish defenders that have the potential to be elite.

Lilijgren-Dahlin

Joulevi-Tanev

Stetcher-Gudbranson

• Upvote 2

I think we can all see that Brannstrom and Heisakainen are the most NHL ready D men in the draft. 

Makar is probably 2 years away and same for Liljegren

As far as offensive ceilings go, honestly think Brannstroms is the second higgest behind Makar. But hes much more likely to get there. 

Edited by Derp...

The 2nd round pick is going to be a good one, we are sitting in a fantastic spot

The first round ends and Benning will know exactly which players are left and have a full night to figure out who he wants. 

We will be picking 2nd in the second Rd so he has to basically narrow it down to two players that he wants to choose with lots of time to make the best decision 

definitely a great position to be in 

• Upvote 1

Weak draft + columbus position in standings = we already know were getting it

id be pretty happy if they didn't.

so far its looking like 1-5, 33, 57*, 64

*could go as low as 55 if WSH is elimated this round or next and PIT is eliminated next round.

Should get 4 nice picks this year.

Edited by Beastmode33
Add content

5 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I'd rather they draft Lilijgren this draft and Rasmus Dahlin the next draft. Imagine the future of our D-corps with two swedish defenders that have the potential to be elite.

Lilijgren-Dahlin

Joulevi-Tanev

Stetcher-Gudbranson

Personal opinion: I think Liliegren is voodoo. I understand he had mono and that mitigates this terrible season for him some, but it also means he lost a year of development during when his body should be growing and developing the quickest. We cannot afford to miss and Lilijegren has red flags bursting all around him.

17 minutes ago, Beastmode33 said:

Weak draft + columbus position in standings = we already know were getting it

It only week at the very top as there is no McDavid but this draft is very heavy in that high middle tier from about pick 15 to 50.

This pick is I believe now locked to be between 22 and 25 based on the rather cumbersome pick ordering criteria. It all depends on what Washington and Anaheim do essentially.

1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–15)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 16–23 up to 27)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 24–27)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 28 and 29)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 30)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 31)

7 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

If we get number 1 we select Patrick, if we get number 2 we select Hischier,  number 3 we select Vilardi/Middlestadt/Glass

I'm not certain how highly Benning values Glass based on how much weight Benning gives to tournament statistics and Glass's generally meager performances there. He had 1 good game with Canada at the U18 then was quiet.

There are also rumours that the brass see Vilardi as more of a winger. When evaluating between two players of roughly equal talent and fuzzy future progression probability, always take the center.

Just now, Scruffy05 said:

I'm not certain how highly Benning values Glass based on how much weight Benning gives to tournament statistics and Glass's generally meager performances there. He had 1 good game with Canada at the U18 then was quiet.

There are also rumours that the brass see Vilardi as more of a winger. When evaluating between two players of roughly equal talent and fuzzy future progression probability, always take the center.

So that just leads Middlestadt then.  Vilardi is big enough to play in the West and covers the puck really well, hard to take off of.  I want him to pick Middlestadt but whoever is left will be a good player for us for a long time.  As long as that pick can be creative in his feeds to a waiting Dahlen or Boeser or whoever then I am happy because once Hank is out we will need a new premier set up man.

• Upvote 2

The draft lottery will start at 530 pm MT on CBC.  What time is that here?

NM I found answer on Google haha, it's a 430pm start on CBC, so there is hope I can at least hear the lottery on the radio, woohoo, I am a happy man now.  For the time being, fingers crossed hey ladies and germs.

Edited by Sugar baby watermelon
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Scruffy05 said:

I'd actually say this lends more weight to Benning looking at Vilardi.

While some reports say he looks like a winger, others say he's a surefire center.  Benning has an absolute love for C/W player hybrids capably of playing both positions.

• Upvote 1