The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

5 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

With Pettersson gaining momentum with fans I am curious as to why you guys want him over Necas?  Keep in mind that I haven't seen either one play a whole lot aside from World Juniors.  They sound quite similar from what I've read but originally Necas seemed to be the guy most wantes (of that type of player)

Because he played with dahlen in timra, and he has more points even though it's in a lower tier league. 

9 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

With Pettersson gaining momentum with fans I am curious as to why you guys want him over Necas?  Keep in mind that I haven't seen either one play a whole lot aside from World Juniors.  They sound quite similar from what I've read but originally Necas seemed to be the guy most wantes (of that type of player)

Necas looks like he's a better skater and has (projects to have) better size. Pett arguably better vision/hands (though Necas is no slouch).

I have Pettersson one after Necas personally.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

There is a difference between wanting goons and wanting a player that can stay on his feet. I don't know if anyone is really advocating for prospects that have "bruiser" or "goon" qualities to them, just NHL size. Most people don't want Rasmussen for this very reason - because his size covers a lack of true skill. I, along with other people on here, are advocating for players that can play their game without being tossed off the puck by someone who is big by NHL standards. 

Hey man I totally get it that it's nice to have a total package player straight out of the draft,  Petterson will never be a physical player,  but he is listed at 6'2.  He is a string bean at 165 lbs but if he adds some muscle to that frame the sky is the limit for Pettersson.

I just don't want to have another Virtanen/Nylander/Ehlers situation where we pick the kid who's more physically mature than the others who were more skilled.  I still believe in Virtanen, but the honest truth is Ehlers or Nylander would look pretty damn good in blue green and white.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HomeBrew said:

Pettersson was ranked 20 by International Scouting Services (ISS Hockey) in their final rankings... 

Also 5 by hockeyprospects, 8 by Craig Button and 8 by future considerations. Not saying we should defs pick him but not out of the question especially with this drafts volitility.

I will literally be happy with whom ever Benning drafts at 5. All of the players available in our spot have legitimate potential and will be a foundational piece in this clubs rebuild. 

With that being said, in order of preference I would like. 

1. Necas - playmaking centre

2. Mittelstadt - playmaking centre

3. Petersson - playmaking centre 

4. Heiskanen - top 4 D/ PP QB

Edited by Camel Toe Drag
Spell

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

How would you feel if they took Tippet...

I know how I'd feel. The same I felt when they announced Jake Virtanen.

"You chose him far too early, because?"

• Upvote 3

On 6/7/2017 at 4:30 PM, canuckledraggin said:

If there was a Tanev trade, would people be more interested in the Dallas 3rd overall or the Toronto Kapanen + 17th. I'm more partial to the TO. deal because Kapanen is already a player and we could possibly get Cal Foote as a Tanev replacement.

If we got the 3rd, which way would people pick? Take Vilardi at #3 and Heiskanen/ Makar at 5?

Just curious...

The Dallas deal, and it's not even close.

We already have winger prospects on Kapanen's level, and 17th overall takes us out of the 2nd tier of prospects in this draft (from 3 to about 12 or 13).

I'd much rather go for quality than quantity.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I've only watched both on TV. I think Vilardi's game doesn't look sexy at all (and that's putting it nicely), but the thing that he has that is so unique  is that he seems to have a "spidey sense" of both the puck and the pressure. I'm watching him, and I go, "how the heck did he know to put his stick there just where the rebound is going to be?" or "(with him near the boards with the puck) how did he just escape being pinned by the D-man who was approaching him at the right angle?" That happens way too frequently that I can't attribute it to luck any more. That's why his puck possession numbers are so insane.

I think Vilardi has a nhl ready size and strength as well as nhl ready "board play."

He might not be the greatest open ice or off the rush player at the top of the draft but he is going to play a pro game.

4 hours ago, Baratheon said:

bandwagon.

Ironically consensus rankings have necas rated higher

I personally have him rated higher but its close, Seguin vs Hall close.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yxwEPYJ7lG6oxKsKnX62e-u8P9saQnUAXrtWVFhCFzg/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord
  • Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

bandwagon.

Ironically consensus rankings have necas rated higher

I personally have him rated higher but its close, Seguin vs Hall close.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yxwEPYJ7lG6oxKsKnX62e-u8P9saQnUAXrtWVFhCFzg/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for that.  Interesting to look through.  I think if what JR said about Necas being the better skater then that's what tips the scale for me.  Such a fascinating draft that could go so many ways 

I'd be fine with Vilardi, Glass, or Pettersson. Those are my ideal players at 5. Vilardi (should he fall to 5) or Glass definitely are the safer choices, but I have a sneaking suspicion Pettersson might end up being the 2nd or 3rd best player in this draft. He's obviously got a bit more bust potential than the other two, but I really like the skillset that he carries. I wouldn't be mad at all should Benning decide to select him.

I'm really not big on Makar or Middlestadt, I think both have great potential but a little too much risk attached to them.  Makar would be an interesting dynamic defenseman to pair with Juolevi's style, but they'd lack a little bit of grit. Middlestadt's going to be a longer term project player through the college system. He's definitely got an interesting skill set, but I don't think he's the ideal pick.

It's a weak draft, but definitely an interesting one. It'll be neat to see how it shapes up in a few years once these guys are developed.

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

Nope, I'm in the 'good player but likely behind Glass, Mittelstadt at C' group...I might even ponder Necas or Pettersson ahead of him (Necas is risky but something about him makes my spidy senses tingle). Then there's Makar, Liljegrin and Heiskanen.

Perhaps some Pastrnakian echoes are triggering?

I wouldn't be upset if they determine a Necas or Pettersson to be the BPA at 5, but despite Pettersson's skills I'm wary that he turns out less like Nylander but more a perimeter player that can't get to the net nor battle along the boards.  Necas has the added dimension of grit to his game, including doing so in international competition.  Thinking he's likely to have a higher floor even if a lesser potential ceiling.

• Upvote 1