The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

On 3/22/2022 at 3:51 PM, DeNiro said:

Funny how this team never really gives a chance to players they’ve drafted playing on the farm and then wonder why they never have any depth.

You need to call these guys up and give them a taste of the NHL. They’re gonna make mistakes but it’s the only way they can learn and get better.

The fact that we have guys in Abby like Lockwood and Rathbone and we continue to play players like Hunt and Chiasson is a big reason this team has failed to build depth for years.

Its not a fluke that Tampa has the depth that they do. They draft and develop guys and actually give them games to get them ready. It seems like the Canucks have always had the attitude that either they have to be 100% ready or they don’t get a game. 

Like yes Lockwood and Rathbone have holes in their game but so do Hunt and Chiasson difference is those guys on the farm are still young and can learn. The older players are who they are and won’t improve.

I completely agree and I'm growing frustrated as well especially after watching Chaisson and Petan making lots of small errors and soft plays just giving up pucks and looking completely useless.

Inserting young extremely mobile and great skilled speedy guys like Rathbone and Lockwood in the lineup right now could end up really giving the Canucks team a boost they need and be a real different maker especially given the teams lacks speed overall.

Watching Pearson, Chaisson really struggle around the ice against the Avs getting beat constantly and just as useless Petan is getting me impatient wondering how it could be better weakening the team with these players and not giving these great young kids that opportunity.

I get why they're giving the kids time but enough with that coddling get them up and see what you have now before it's too late.

I've been watching Abbotsford games and Lockwoods penalty killing is incredible his ability to close time and space, use a great stick, fast relentless forcheck and in your face speed is as good as it gets this alone would be a welcome addition.

Edited by Podkolzins Snipe
  • Cheers 2

Lockwood is in a great situation.  How many miles does Richardson have left in his tank?  

Lockwood has a green light to maximize his efforts and there is a roster spot up for grabs and his competition at this point is a near timed out veteran who was just plucked off of waivers.  

if he isn’t taking Faceoff training to the next level, then he isn’t paying attention.  

the opening doesn’t have to be cleared and made ready.  Fourth lines have to be harder and just plain stubborn and determined to be in the show, cause they do all the dirty work and get less minutes, pay and have shorter careers and can be replaced or traded for equipment let alone players.  

think Lockwood is fine.  

On 3/22/2022 at 2:51 PM, DeNiro said:

Funny how this team never really gives a chance to players they’ve drafted playing on the farm and then wonder why they never have any depth.

You need to call these guys up and give them a taste of the NHL. They’re gonna make mistakes but it’s the only way they can learn and get better.

The fact that we have guys in Abby like Lockwood and Rathbone and we continue to play players like Hunt and Chiasson is a big reason this team has failed to build depth for years.

Its not a fluke that Tampa has the depth that they do. They draft and develop guys and actually give them games to get them ready. It seems like the Canucks have always had the attitude that either they have to be 100% ready or they don’t get a game. 

Like yes Lockwood and Rathbone have holes in their game but so do Hunt and Chiasson difference is those guys on the farm are still young and can learn. The older players are who they are and won’t improve.

Ya it's a bit of head scratcher. Dermot is used to playing on the right-side and Rathbone and not to sound like a Homer but he's been dominant down there including much improved defense.  He at least deserves a shot. As for Lockwood his game is safe enough that like Podz he should at worst provide a good defensive game but maybe with the bump of playing with far more talented players he might chip in on a similar level to guys like Lammi or Highmore which is fine for the role we would need from his role.

But the one thing I'm thinking is the team only has two non emergency call- ups left and once Dickinson and Hogs return he would 100% not replace either of them. Plus the baby nucks are trending into contender territory which is invaluable experience for them.

But you have to figure the decision to let Motte go was partially to due with the idea of Lockwood being a cheaper Motte- light with a similar ceiling, perhaps higher even.

The real downer is the season Jett is having, I really hoped he would get a full season in Abby and progress enough to make the jump with Jack full time next season perhaps paired together since they play off each other really well. Sadly with injuries and a stagnating season that's looking highly unlikely and his style is exactly what this team needs in the mold of Manson or Bieksa

On 3/22/2022 at 2:51 PM, DeNiro said:

On 3/24/2022 at 1:03 AM, Podkolzins Snipe said:

I completely agree and I'm growing frustrated as well especially after watching Chaisson and Petan making lots of small errors and soft plays just giving up pucks and looking completely useless.

Inserting young extremely mobile and great skilled speedy guys like Rathbone and Lockwood in the lineup right now could end up really giving the Canucks team a boost they need and be a real different maker especially given the teams lacks speed overall.

Watching Pearson, Chaisson really struggle around the ice against the Avs getting beat constantly and just as useless Petan is getting me impatient wondering how it could be better weakening the team with these players and not giving these great young kids that opportunity.

I get why they're giving the kids time but enough with that coddling get them up and see what you have now before it's too late.

I've been watching Abbotsford games and Lockwoods penalty killing is incredible his ability to close time and space, use a great stick, fast relentless forcheck and in your face speed is as good as it gets this alone would be a welcome addition.

Prepare to be disappointed then. Management has stated numerous times that they plan to over ripen prospects. And both players have lots of work left learning to play D, systems, and more so in Lockwood's case,  becoming even more proficient on the PK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He can't possibly be worse than Petan and Chiasson.

I only watched the game with one eye last night but I did see Chaisson make a sweet play to keep the puck in the offensive zone when one of our D broke his stick.

• Like 1