The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] F Taylor Hall to Devils for D Adam Larsson

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

You could be right. But there were others that should have gone before Hall. 

Can't argue too much with that, so long as Hall was going too.  I'm sure a few of their players are on the bubble as far as remaining with the team.  I shuddered last year when I heard that McDavid was rooming with Hall.  When you consider the lousy work ethic Hall was displaying (even HNIC would call him out), I thought that was a terrible move for Connor. 

I've never been all that big on any of their top forwards (prior to McD).  RNH seems to play too small/get injured too much.  Yak is a mess, hopefully he can revive his career on another team but can't see it happening there unless he gets to improve as part of the housecleaning that just started.  Eberle seems too invisible in the games I remember.  Hall could sure skate and score, but he is not a leader.  

I wonder how much difference it will make for them this year.

...Hall got done dirty! Stayed loyal the entire time he was there even though Oilers were crap and gets dealt when they are on the rise. Lol, that's the business side for you and to add insult to injury, trade value was an embarrassment for him considering him being the 2nd best LW in all of hockey.

Hall is so over rated today...

Sure I admit he is still very young and could become a superstar however the same could be said about AL. 

Hall had 65 points in 82 games and has a career high of 27 goals, all this at a cap hit of 6 million.

Good trade.

9 minutes ago, khay said:

Where?

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Out of 277 NHL defenseman to play 5 or more games last year, Adam Larsson had the lowest offensive zone starts in the NHL.  30.5%.

277th among 277 defensemen.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=63&f1=2015_s&f2=5v5&f4=D&f7=5-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#snip=f

His relative quality of competition was 29th in the NHL.

He quite simply played some of the hardest minutes of any defenseman in the NHL.

He was a +15 in those minutes.  A wortheless statistic when taken out of context, but in the context of his situational use, outstanding.  His relative corsi was -3.5, something corsi gazers would look at and conclude his 'possession numbers' aren't very good, but that is utter nonsense. 

163 hits.

148 blocked shots.

A 23 year old playing 23 of the NHL's hardest minutes per night.

His offensive production is highly under-rated in that context.  He did not have a single powerplay point - had 18 points and + 15 in a strict shutdown role.

Elite young defenseman - no question about it.   'Analytics' dimwits like Yost suggesting that a player like this does not even 'move the needle' is absurd.

Oilers should have gotten more but they have somewhat addressed their back end with Larsson. He's a top pairing on a team like the Oilers, 2nd pairing on a good team. But, Larsson's not gonna solve all their problems. They still need true top-pairing D-men.

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Hall is so over rated today...

Sure I admit he is still very young and could become a superstar however the same could be said about AL. 

Hall had 65 points in 82 games and has a career high of 27 goals, all this at a cap hit of 6 million.

Good trade.

lol - he got almost all those points single handedly - you want overrated- Adam Larsson is over rated - dude is gonna get eaten alive in edmonton, Adam Larsson is worse than Alex edler

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If I remember correctly, in Larsson's first year they used him in strictly offensive situations, and he put up very underwhelming numbers. Maybe the NJ brass, just doesn't see his offensive upside, that high. So, he isn't used in offensive opportunities. 

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Actually man.

He's got all the hallmarks of a late blooming defenseman 

If he's not top pairing now.  He will be in a few seasons.  Keeping in mind how held back he was in a floundering devils team lost in transition where he was thrown to the wolves with 0 mentors

Ok top pairing "maybe".  But "franchise"?  There is a difference. Big difference. 

HAHAHAHA!!! And people say Benning is bad at asset management! I dont care if Hall is F'in cancer in the dressing room. You DONT trade a top 5 left winger in the Nhl for Larsson and not to mention there were no prospects involved or added pieces for Edmonton. This is unreal! 

Archived