The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] F Taylor Hall to Devils for D Adam Larsson

Larsson is much better than he is getting credit for but my lord is the cost of right handed d-men high. This definitely takes some of the sting out of the Gudbranson deal.

Edmonton is going to be a much better team next season, they aren't done yet.

32 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I feel like you're overselling it. Sure, Hall is way better than McCann, but Larsson had twice the point production as Gudbranson this year and is also a strong shut down D-man. Larsson may not be as physical a player, but he brings quality play in other ways.

Larsson is absolutely a top 4 D similar to how Gudbranson is. Larsson and Greene faced the toughest competition of any Devils' D, and they both had 30% O-zone start rates (with a 42% finish rate). The Devils' save percentage was .944 when Larsson was on the ice. Gudbranson had similar quality of competition, but a .929 on-ice save percentage and a 42% O-zone start rate (46% finish rate). Larson had more hits (even if they aren't as hard), twice as many blocks, and a better giveaway to takeaway ratio. Larsson played more minutes per game than Guddy and even played slightly more minutes shorthanded per game (neither benefited from PP time at all).

Also, I know I shouldn't need to mention the 33rd overall pick we included, not to mention the 4th for a 5th swap, but with overly simplistic comparisons like yours I feel it's necessary.

I could be overselling it, I probably am overselling it. I personally don't think that Larsson is better than Guddy. Its not because Guddy is on the Canucks or anything. Personally, I just don't think so. Obviously people will agree and disagree with me, and I'm not saying you and the other people who have replied to me are wrong. This is just my opinion. But I think we can(should) agree that what Edmonton got in return for Hall isn't good, and/or they could've gotten more.

Okay, let's say Larsson and Gudbranson are the same quality players (except Gudbranson could probably beat Larsson silly):

Canucks traded a former 24th overall prospect while EDM traded a former 1st overall proven NHL player (and all-star).

Benning's the man.

I'd honestly rather face the Edmonton Oilers with the flashy, reckless, vacant Taylor Hall in their lineup than I would the more balanced version with an elite young shutdown/two way right-handed defenseman in the fold.

Edmonton just got a whole lot harder to play against - and in terms of value this deal is nowhere near the grand slam most people are representing it to be.

This was a good hockey trade for the Edmonton Oilers imo - and that pisses me off because they were just gifted another premier asset in Puljujarvi and managed to recover what they needed - an elite young defenseman - in exchange for Hall.   That is exactly what I would have done if that were my team - and there aren't a whole lot of better young right handed defensemen available out there.   Precisely what they needed - at a price that they could unfortunately afford.  

Truth is that Chiarelli copy-catted here the guy that was the real brains behind building the SCC Bruins....  But Benning was quicker to the draw and didn't have a first overall to spend to get the job done.  So I'd give Benning the A+, and I'd give Chiarelli a pass for this deal - a good hockey trade mirroring what Benning did, but after the dust was stirred and the market shrunk / market value increased.

Taylor Hall may be a high end offensive winger, but wadr, they're easier to come by than elite right- handed 23 year old defensemen, and Edmonton also gained some cap flexibility in the process.  I'm not sold on Edmonton being such a clear and obvious loser in this deal.

3 hours ago, billabong said:

A desperate move by a desperate gm

hall is a foundational talent

yup.  a top 5 winger in the NHL for a D-man who even according to fan boy Specter, is a good trade IF he can put up 25 goals.

It's not goals Edmonton needs...it's Defence!!!!

JB getting Gudbranson for McCann and a 2nd looks like the steal of the century compared to this.

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Okay, let's say Larsson and Gudbranson are the same quality players (except Gudbranson could probably beat Larsson silly):

Canucks traded a former 24th overall prospect while EDM traded a former 1st overall proven NHL player (and all-star).

Benning's the man.

That's the big thing here.

For our team, Guddy is the better fit (I mean, especially since Juolevi is now in the fold). Larsson may have a higher ceiling and have more "value" than Gudbranson - but if he does, it's certainly not by much.

We moved McCann prematurely to make a bold move. McCann is a very nice piece, Florida likes him. But if we had even an inkling that Jared was a Taylor Hall-type talent, we would be building around him, not trading him for stay-at-home defensemen. 

24 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Larsson is much better than he is getting credit for but my lord is the cost of right handed d-men high. This definitely takes some of the sting out of the Gudbranson deal.

Edmonton is going to be a much better team next season, they aren't done yet.

Thr never was a sting in the gudbranson deal.

Archived