The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] F Taylor Hall to Devils for D Adam Larsson

Hall could definitely produce, but clearly this is what the market would bear as Chiarelli has been working on this for a long time.  Perhaps some addition-by-subtraction is involved.  At least they have finally done something, but it doesn't bode well for what they'll get for RNH/Eberle should they be moved as well.  Might be as I suspected -- a partial rebuild, but not quite fully starting over.

I don't know who won this trade but I watched almost every Oiler game last year and I can tell you that I would trade Hall before I would trade Nugent-Hopkins or Eberle. Hall is not a team player as he doesn't use teammates well (Like Yakupov) and makes way too many turnovers that result in odd man breaks the other way.

Edmonton:  Hall for Larsson

Vancouver:  McCann, 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson and 5th

So Edmonton trades a #1 LW who got 80 points 2 years ago for a #3 D (no he's not a top paring guy sorry), and Vancouver trades a PROSPECT, a 2nd and a 4th for a #3 D who played #1 D minutes in the playoffs...

WOW, just WOW...

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

So now what do they have planned for RNH? I figured he was the one that was needed to be moved.  Unless they are keeping him for 3rd line C duties. ha, this organization is a complete joke.

I see RNH being traded, always felt he was going to get traded regardless which Winger the Oilers part with.

Which team makes best trading partner for RHN? Montreal? Carolina? St. Louis?

20 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

1 for 1 that's a bad deal for Edmonton 

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

WTF is this?? Did Chiarelli have a 5 martini lunch or something?

Been saying for months (years?) that EDm was going to have to seriously overpay if they were ever going to fix the glaring holes.

A lot of those shiny, previously top picks are going to have to go at a loss for them to ever build a real team.

2 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Edmonton:  Hall for Larsson

Vancouver:  McCann, 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson and 5th

So Edmonton trades a #1 LW who got 80 points 2 years ago for a #3 D (no he's not a top paring guy sorry), and Vancouver trades a PROSPECT, a 2nd and a 4th for a #3 D who played #1 D minutes in the playoffs...

WOW, just WOW...

And Van fans were complaining :lol:

Maybe the guys down in Nashville are on to something only drafting D-Men. Prices of forward seem to be rather low. Either way you look at it Taylor Hall is a fantastic player, I'm glad he went to the devils they are a franchise that needs some luck after losing Parise and Kovalchuk for nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Hall could definitely produce, but clearly this is what the market would bear as Chiarelli has been working on this for a long time.  Perhaps some addition-by-subtraction is involved.  At least they have finally done something, but it doesn't bode well for what they'll get for RNH/Eberle should they be moved as well.  Might be as I suspected -- a partial rebuild, but not quite fully starting over.

It must be pretty sad for a franchise to have to rebuild their rebuild.

As good as Larsson can be, it's pretty hard to justify this trade in terms of pure value.

Wow.

Hall was one of the few guys who showed up game in game out for the Oil.

Not exactly sure how he is going to do in NJ, But makes me feel even better about the Gudbranson deal (Was a fan of it in the 1st place, but this is the icing on the cake.)

Just now, Alflives said:

For those of us who don't get these charts, can you explain?  My guess, from watching the two players, is Hall is a first line scoring winger, and Larson is a second paring shut down D.  I always saw a lot of Tanev in Larson.  

Sure. 

It's called a HERO chart. I personally don't put much stock into these unless it's cases like this. Some of it is explained visually. The top half of it is offensive production per 60 minutes (a full game). Larsson's production so far has been on par with a Top 4 defender (AKA 2nd pairing).

The following season probability is what is expected of him next year as far as production goes. It gives him a 34% chance of 2nd pairing production and 44% chance of top pairing production. So it's reasonable to assume Larsson will offensively produce to that of a Top 4 Dman with potential to produce Top pairing offensive production in his future.

Now on the flip side, his defensive metrics show him to be a bottom pairing defenseman as far as shot generation goes (though I find that one meaningless), a middle to average Dman as far as shot suppression goes, and a Top 6 Dman bordering on Top 4 as far as possession goes. 

So through all of this, it's safe to call Adam Larsson a Top 4 Dman (2nd pairing) at this point of his career with potential to get better and be a Top 2 Dman in his future.

All you need to know about Taylor Hall is that he is a 1st line winger with elite offensive stats and average to solid defensive stats for a forward.

So basically this trade is broken down into the Oilers trading a young, high offensive, Top 5 LW in the league for a young, Top 4 Dman who could grow into a Top 2 Dman one day.

Devils win this trade by a mile. Even if Larsson does turn into a Top pairing Dman. If he doesn't, it's the worst trade of the modern century.

1 minute ago, Type R said:

I'm not sure NJ wins this trade.  I spoke to a family member of RNH, and he was telling me that Hall is absolutely toxic in the locker room.

There seems to be too much that is said about the "locker room".

Anyways, if Hall was not happy then that is good. I sure as hell would not be happy being on the Coilers, losing game after game and seeing other team mates dog it while I bust my chops. 

I don't think there is a team in the NHL where losing has become so engrained into the team culture as it has been for the Coilers.

Hall is a happy man right now.

Archived