The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should the Canucks pursue Evander Kane?

TheRussianRocket.

Poll  

569 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Definite buy-low candidate, say if Sbisa or a 2nd was enough to get him I'd say yes.  Personal problems aside, as a player he provides value, just as previous "cancers" in this room (Cody, Zack, Jared?) can be put in situations where they can succeed and then subsequently shipped out (we always have that opt-out, and what if he matures at home?  We'd hit a home-run if he puts it all together, a la the David Booth trade).

As a team stealthily retooling by injecting players in their mid-20's with potential, I'd say a guy like him (or even Nail Yakupov) would be the way to go, if they can be acquired for cheap and put in roles where they can thrive.   

I'd go for it if the price is right. Maybe Sbisa or Burrows along with a mid-round pick and that's it. None of our young players should be involved in the trade.

The risk is well worth it if we don't give up anything of real value, he could end up being a 1st line player for us. If he continues to act like a fool, Canucks could just suspend him and keep him away from the team.

I'd pass on him entirely if I were Canucks management for two critical reasons: Jake Virtanen and Bo Horvat

For the longest time, I was irked by how poor the Canucks were at drafting and developing top-6 prototypical power forwards from scratch, that they would be stuck paying a premium to sign or trade for this kind of player. We have two of those guys in the fold now.

Problem is, both guys are still very young and understandably look to older guys to model themselves after, both on and off the ice. Kane is someone notorious for not getting along with older teammates, coaches, management, you name it. And it's shameful to see that at age 24, he hasn't curbed any of his behaviors off the ice that invite trouble his way.

The Sedins won't be around to mentor the youth in professionalism forever, and when they leave, I do not want Virtanen and Horvat to have Evander as one of the guys they look to for mentoring. Call me paranoid, but I firmly believe that if that happens, we are eventually going to end up cutting ties with at least one of Horvat and Virtanen.

Just now, Sweathog said:

I'd go for it if the price is right. Maybe Sbisa or Burrows along with a mid-round pick and that's it. None of our young players should be involved in the trade.

The risk is well worth it if we don't give up anything of real value, he could end up being a 1st line player for us. If he continues to act like a fool, Canucks could just suspend him and keep him away from the team.

Yep, only give up the young players and 1st round picks for something that is a sure thing and still young (like Gudbranson).  Kane is the farthest thing from a sure thing right now so only use easily expendable pieces.  Doubt that'll be enough to pry Kane away from Buffalo. 

If we wanted to get him, the price would likely come real cheap. It looks like Buffalo just wants him gone, and a lot of teams aren't biting. Massive character issues, which would be strange after Benning has showed he values character so much. However, the skillset, age, and potential is a perfect fit. He's the exact type of winger that we want and are looking for with potential to be an impact player. It's risky, but it all depends on how Benning feels. If he could come home, be surrounded by family and people that want the best for him, maybe he can turn it around. He has to know that he's playing himself out of the league. He has 2 years to prove to teams that he is worth taking a shot at and, just as importantly, worth paying him a decent salary to match his incredible talent. Honestly, if it's a cheap enough price, as it likely would be given recent developments, I wouldn't be opposed to getting him. If he falters this season, look for a trade, and if you can't then, ok, we can be rid of him in 2 seasons. If he can turn it around however, he could be a massive talent for us.

Fairly high risk, extremely high potential reward. And again, if the experiment fails, we can be rid of him in 2 seasons, and free up cap space for others. I for one would love to see him get his act together and mature as so many of his peers have done, becasuse if he can, he can be a true impact player. I don't think Benning will bite though considering how much he loves character.

• Templeton Peck changed the title to [Discussion] Should the Canucks pursue Evander Kane?

Try a conditional deal. If he exceeds a barrier(say 45 pts, either season) we upgrade their pick. Highest is 2018 2nd.

to Van: Kane & 2017 3rd rounder(they have an extra 3rd)

to Cousin-Buff: Sbisa, ol' Granny & 2018 pick(2nd, 3rd or 4th, pending performance). If we dump him after 1 season, they take the 4th.

Expansion cousins should minimize the risk here.

I believe Tampa Bay is our best trading partner today.  Stevie Y is doing a great job locking up their core of studs (Stamkos, Hedman, Vasilevskiy), longterm.

However there is trouble around the corner.  Up for new contracts in these next 2 years are Killorn, Palat, Namesnikov, Kucherov, Johnson and Drouin.  There are some big raises on the horizon.

I think opportunity knocks for Trader Jim.

I still want the Canucks to land Drouin, badly!

C'mon Trader Jim.  Pull your magic.

Archived