The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Antoine Vermette bought out

Toews

53 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It would be nice if the 'professional' journalists got the story straight before rushing to report on it.  Seems like accuracy and credibility (ie professionalism) more and more gets sacrificed in the race to win the early clicks. 

To get him at 2 yrs 2.5 per would be nice as he then makes the same for 2 yrs not one with this buy out.

He will sign a 1yr @ 1mill with a contender...case closed. He prob wants to go win a cup with a contender. Phx prob did him a solid buy buying him out since no contender could take the cap hit in a trade and phx prob embraces the fact they can add some of his caphit since thr always trying to get to the cap floor. Its win, win situation for both sides.

Just move the damn team already if their management won't even try.  This move makes ZERO hockey sense.  Vermette would be easily tradeable with retained salary.  Instead, we're looking at a team wasting cap space so they don't have to pay actual players, all because our commissioner isn't mature enough to admit he's an idiot and let the team move to a viable market.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Just move the damn team already if their management won't even try.  This move makes ZERO hockey sense.  Vermette would be easily tradeable with retained salary.  Instead, we're looking at a team wasting cap space so they don't have to pay actual players, all because our commissioner isn't mature enough to admit he's an idiot and let the team move to a viable market.

Seattle would be the perfect fit. Keeps them in the same division too. 

Vermette would instantly improve this team.

Benning wants size? 6'0 200lbs
Canucks need another face-off guy. Vermette.
Canucks need more scoring. He could pot another 15-20 goals.
If Sutter gets hurt, Vermette fills that gap. Easily.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Vermette Sutter Hansen
Baertschi Horvat Rodin
Etem Granlund Burrows
Virtanen Dorsett

Crazy amount of depth that adds more goals.

We know damn well we have about a month before we're down 2 of our top 3 centers. Why not scoop this guy up for a year? Put either him or sutter on Horvats wing until someone slips on a banana peel and we don't miss a beat at center/face offs. 

30 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Vermette would instantly improve this team.

Benning wants size? 6'0 200lbs
Canucks need another face-off guy. Vermette.
Canucks need more scoring. He could pot another 15-20 goals.
If Sutter gets hurt, Vermette fills that gap. Easily.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Vermette Sutter Hansen
Baertschi Horvat Rodin
Etem Granlund Burrows
Virtanen Dorsett

Crazy amount of depth that adds more goals.

Now looking at this, I would feel so much better about our 2nd line... we were 3rd from last in the standing so we do have a very good shot at landing him!

10 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Now looking at this, I would feel so much better about our 2nd line... we were 3rd from last in the standing so we do have a very good shot at landing him!

He is a already a free agent - there is no waiver claim because he had an NMC which he hasn't waived.  

He can chose the team he signs with.

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

He will sign a 1yr @ 1mill with a contender...case closed. He prob wants to go win a cup with a contender. Phx prob did him a solid buy buying him out since no contender could take the cap hit in a trade and phx prob embraces the fact they can add some of his caphit since thr always trying to get to the cap floor. Its win, win situation for both sides.

He already has his ring.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

He is a already a free agent - there is no waiver claim because he had an NMC which he hasn't waived.  

He can chose the team he signs with.

OK then sign him ASAP!! $6M for 2 years! Get it done!! Did I mention his faceoff % he been well over 55% in recent years?

2 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

Thanks for the reassurance, oldnews...what does the underlying numbers say about Vermette?  Is he a guy that the Canucks should be taking a serious look at?

I think his underlying numbers have indicated a solid two way player for quite some time.

Last year they were slightly better than average - just under 50% ozone starts, decent quality of competition, relative corsi of +0.7.... Not great but decent.

I don't see this as an "analytics" inspired buyout by any stretch of the imagination.  It's a bizarre move wadr to Chayka.   Dumping a guy like this (in this form) to make room for kids just has a horrible optics to it, and very difficult to rationalize imo.   Buying out such a serviceable player is questionable at best.

Versatile - can play in all situations - great faceoff guy - decent production -and nothing wrong with his reasonable expiring contract.

I think if he were on waivers it may have made sense to claim him, but in free agency I'm not sure I like Vancouver's chances - with his buyout money in his back pocket he's probably looking to sign with a contender and perhaps have a shot at winning again, but who knows.  The one year expiring contract would have been an attractive option - if he were in fact on waivers, but I suspect he'll be able to command a couple years somewhere?

If you are serious about going after a 34 year-old winger, then Scott Harnell is a far better choice than Antoine Vermette. He's tougher, more durable and scores at a better rate. So what if he costs more. If the objective is to become a grittier, quicker team that has more threats to score throughout the lineup, then Hartnell makes more sense, if you are going for 34 year-olds.

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

If you are serious about going after a 34 year-old winger, then Scott Harnell is a far better choice than Antoine Vermette. He's tougher, more durable and scores at a better rate. So what if he costs more. If the objective is to become a grittier, quicker team that has more threats to score throughout the lineup, then Hartnell makes more sense, if you are going for 34 year-olds.

Except Verm would be free and Harnell would involve a trade 

Archived