The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Antoine Vermette bought out

Toews

4 hours ago, Pears said:

Move Sutter to the wing and make a move for that top six forward with Hansen++?

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

_____ - Horvat - Rödin

Baertschi - Vermette - Sutter

Virtanen - Granlund - Etem/Burrows

I think that if the Canucks are going to make a push for the playoffs, signing Vermette makes an awful lot of sense.  Even with Hansen in the lineup, that line up gives us a strong middle 6.  Probably a below average 2nd line, and an above average 3rd.  

5 hours ago, BCNate said:

I think that if the Canucks are going to make a push for the playoffs, signing Vermette makes an awful lot of sense.  Even with Hansen in the lineup, that line up gives us a strong middle 6.  Probably a below average 2nd line, and an above average 3rd.  

So an average 2nd line and an average 3rd line lol. (Above average 3rd line and a below average 2nd) 

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

So an average 2nd line and an average 3rd line lol. (Above average 3rd line and a below average 2nd) 

We'll have to see how the lines pan out... I'm still hoping we do somehow add another top 6 forward. Hudler is still a great option imo, Vermette is also an option. 

Sedin Sedin Loui/Hansen/Burr 

This should be the best line in the division which makes up for our second line 

After that I think it's safe to say as it stands, the Canucks have 2 above average 3rd lines instead of a 2nd and 3rd. 

The 4th line we have some great pieces... If they gel, then they may be able to fall under the category of above average 4th or even average 3rd line. 

Regardless, a little too early to speculate. I just hope we land one more piece... 

15 minutes ago, apollo said:

We'll have to see how the lines pan out... I'm still hoping we do somehow add another top 6 forward. Hudler is still a great option imo, Vermette is also an option. 

After that I think it's safe to say as it stands, the Canucks have 2 above average 3rd lines instead of a 2nd and 3rd. 

The 4th line we have some great pieces... If they gel, then they may be able to fall under the category of above average 4th or even average 3rd line. 

Regardless, a little too early to speculate. I just hope we land one more piece... 

San Jose has

Couture, Pavelski, Marleau, Big-Joe, Hertl, any combo of those guys are the best line in the div.

12 hours ago, apollo said:

I think there's more to the story... There HAS to be. Maybe he tested positive for something (stage 1 like kassian, before we all knew and he got caught the second time, stage 2) 

I don't think so apollo.  

I think it's just a suspect management decision - not something that can be speculated onto Vermette.

3 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Rumour has it they hired an analytics guy to try and improve on money puck down there. And this is the result of analytics vs reality.   

A cup winner with nearly .5 ppg  the last few seasons, isn't worth keeping in the analytics world.

I am curious about the teams like Arizona and Florida with heavy analytic based management. It,s going to take 2-3 years to actually see if it is starting to bear fruit.

5 minutes ago, ice orca said:

I am curious about the teams like Arizona and Florida with heavy analytic based management. It,s going to take 2-3 years to actually see if it is starting to bear fruit.

Yea... I find it weird to say the least to see it in hockey. It's a copy cat of what they do in baseball. But in baseball you know during the duration of 162 games the numbers will eventually = stats whereas as 15 game slump in hockey can kill you. 

I just haven't seen enough success of analytics in hockey to make me a believer.

7 hours ago, apollo said:

Adding Vermette does not make enough sense for it to happen. Canucks already have enough older vets. Making playoffs is secondary to developing the younger players. I am OK with the Canucks finishing out of the playoffs again this year. What I want to see in particular is strong seasons from the younger group.

If they catch fire and make playoffs that is a great teacher but not a necessity. There are many question marks going into the season and management has to know by February whether to move some vets into the TDL or not.   

16 hours ago, BCNate said:

I would have agreed if we could have claimed him with that ideal one year term remaining.

With the likelihood of a required 2-4+ year UFA deal just to sign him....he becomes a LOT less attractive unless it's a low cap hit and DEFINITELY no NMC (or NTC) so we can expose him in the ED (and/or easily move him).

Otherwise he just becomes a roadblock in a year or two and possibly a boat anchor and future buyout if things go off the rails.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Adding Vermette does not make enough sense for it to happen. Canucks already have enough older vets. Making playoffs is secondary to developing the younger players. I am OK with the Canucks finishing out of the playoffs again this year. What I want to see in particular is strong seasons from the younger group.

If they catch fire and make playoffs that is a great teacher but not a necessity. There are many question marks going into the season and management has to know by February whether to move some vets into the TDL or not.   

I think he can help the team, between faceoffs and shootouts especially.  I wouldn't mind him on the team, but I agree we need to be wary about what impact that has on development.  And as @J.R. points out, the contract needs to not handcuff the team too.

So, if he's on the team, cool, a good piece was added.  But no big tears from me if it doesn't happen.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

I think he can help the team, between faceoffs and shootouts especially.  I wouldn't mind him on the team, but I agree we need to be wary about what impact that has on development.  And as @J.R. points out, the contract needs to not handcuff the team too.

So, if he's on the team, cool, a good piece was added.  But no big tears from me if it doesn't happen.

Sutter and Horvat will be your #1 & #2 FO centers. I don't want that taken away from Horvat. If that is the case where would Vermette play? This is a dog day summer exercise. If one of the top 3 centers gets injured then Granlund moves up and maybe Utica gets called for a 4C. I cannot see any serious reason why another C gets signed especially a older one.

22 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Sutter and Horvat will be your #1 & #2 FO centers. I don't want that taken away from Horvat. If that is the case where would Vermette play? This is a dog day summer exercise. If one of the top 3 centers gets injured then Granlund moves up and maybe Utica gets called for a 4C. I cannot see any serious reason why another C gets signed especially a older one.

I think it would be more benefit having him play LW on the 2nd normally and share faceoff duties with Sutter (strong sides L/R, if Sutter gets waived, if Sutter gets a penalty etc) and be there for injury insurance. Either that or have Sutter play RW with the twins and share faceoff duties with Hank with Vermette on the 2nd at C.

None of that really changes Horvat at 3C.

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Yep, I'm agreeing w @J.R. again in his post above.  If Vermette does happen to get signed, I could see any of Vermette, Sutter, and maybe even Granlund playing wing.  My first choice to play wing would be Vermette, although still splitting F/O duties depending on where on the ice the puck is being dropped.  Sutter has his nice long contract, so if the plan is to have him be center, long-term, then my uninformed decision would be to keep him off the wing so that he can continue to develop his expertise as a center.

I definitely agree with you that we don't want to mess Sutter/Bo's development.

What if his agent demanded a buy out so he could sign for more in total with the buyout money? 

Another possible conspiracy lol... 

I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave him 3 years 9 mill... That would be a raise if u include the buyout? 

Or what if Arizona gm is an alien? 

On 03/08/2016 at 2:06 AM, oldnews said:

I don't think so apollo.  

I think it's just a suspect management decision - not something that can be speculated onto Vermette.

Yeah, pretty certain this is just Chayka being a noob GM.

We have gotten so lucky with Chia going to Edmonton and Chayka in AZ.

Well, when you put a young man who bases everything on analytics in charge, I can actually see how things like this can happen. I think 1 of 2 things will happen in the future:

1. Analytics proves to be more accurate than many people thought, Arizona ends up successful and we see more GM's being hired for their analysis ability. 

2. Arizona flops and the hockey world continues to work better with analytics only used as a assist to actually watching the hockey games and knowing what's actually happening each game.

I'm thinking the later will happen. The first outcome just seems silly to me actually.

Arizona is counting on Strome and Dvorak replacing Vermette and Boedker's production, which is very possible. Problem is they don't just need to replace those guys production they need to add more goals.

I guess they're really counting on McGinn and Goligoski to put them over the top.

Here is some posturing about the Coyotes.  What if they're freeing up more cap space to take a run at a team like Pittsburgh or Dallas who needs to dump a goalie.  Right now they have the financial room to do so, and also take on 3 more contracts.  It could be that the trade in the works requires nothing in financial assets going back to said team, and the coyotes taking back contracted assets, one of which would replace Vermette.

Archived