The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Antoine Vermette bought out

Toews

9 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

If you are serious about going after a 34 year-old winger, then Scott Harnell is a far better choice than Antoine Vermette. He's tougher, more durable and scores at a better rate. So what if he costs more. If the objective is to become a grittier, quicker team that has more threats to score throughout the lineup, then Hartnell makes more sense, if you are going for 34 year-olds.

Not sure if serious.   Hartnell is not going to make any team "quicker".  Nor is he above tripping over painted lines, hence the "Hartnell down" foundation.

Hartnell also comes with a 3 yrs x 4.75 cap hit and a NMC btw, so it's not really clear that he's "a far better choice."

The only way that makes sense is if Columbus parts with some serious compensation for taking that contract on.  My guess is it aint gonna happen and if it was, the draft would have been the time.

10 minutes ago, Whale Tail said:

Except Verm would be free and Harnell would involve a trade 

How do you figure Vermette would be free? He's been bought out, he's not on waivers. He will probably have a few interested teams, so he won't be cheap. He's anything but free.

3 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

How do you figure Vermette would be free? He's been bought out, he's not on waivers. He will probably have a few interested teams, so he won't be cheap. He's anything but free.

No he's on waivers for the purpose of buyout - my understanding is a team can put in a claim and get him for free. Don't see why oilers wouldn't do it either with the loss of Hall on the LW

1 minute ago, Davathor said:

No he's on waivers for the purpose of buyout - my understanding is a team can put in a claim and get him for free. Don't see why oilers wouldn't do it either with the loss of Hall on the LW

He had an NMC and did not waive - he cannot be claimed on waivers.  The buyout has already happened and he is a UFA.

2 minutes ago, Davathor said:

No - you should probably read the thread.

8 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Don't take my word for it. How about this from the Calgary Herald:

"The Coyotes bought out the final year of Vermette's contract on Monday, making the 34-year-old a free agent. Instead of counting $3.75 million against the salary cap, Vermette will count $1.25 million each of the next two seasons as Arizona looks to get younger.

"In order to give our team more flexibility, we needed to make this difficult decision," general manager John Chayka said. "This move will provide an opportunity for some of our young, talented players to step up. Antoine is a class act and we thank him for all he did on and off the ice for the Arizona Coyotes organization."

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Free as in not having to give up any of our assets trading for him. Hartnell would involve a trade 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Not sure if serious.   Hartnell is not going to make any team "quicker".  Nor is he above tripping over painted lines, hence the "Hartnell down" foundation.

Hartnell also comes with a 3 yrs x 4.75 cap hit and a NMC btw, so it's not really clear that he's "a far better choice."

The only way that makes sense is if Columbus parts with some serious compensation for taking that contract on.  My guess is it aint gonna happen and if it was, the draft would have been the time.

The Jackets won't want his NMC hanging around their necks when the expansion draft comes along, so I think they will push to trade him down the stretch to trade deadline.   I would think some would take him + compensation, but there will probably be a few of these types of contracts being moved.  Personally I will be enjoying all these teams with boatloads of young players squirm when they have to leave some good players unprotected.

34... Probably wants a 3 year contract. Might get it from someone too. I would do 2 years, at 2mill per season.

55% in the dot though. That's hard to beat... Would be a very good addition to our middle 6. 

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Vermette Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Hovat Etem

Burr Granlund Dorsett?

I dono if that would work, but it would be interesting to see if he fit in our lineup

Could also move Horvat into what would be 4C and just basically have 3 2/3rd tweener lines

Nearly scores 20 goals on a God-awful offensive team. He may be getting old but he's still better than Burrows and much cheaper. He'll get snatched up, either off waivers or signed afterwards around the 2M mark. Still got a good 15-20 goal year in him surely on most teams.

The Canucks should probably go for a younger guy like Pirri considering the fact that we still have Dorsett and Burrows eating up a combined 6+M.

32 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Nearly scores 20 goals on a God-awful offensive team. He may be getting old but he's still better than Burrows and much cheaper. He'll get snatched up, either off waivers or signed afterwards around the 2M mark. Still got a good 15-20 goal year in him surely on most teams.

The Canucks should probably go for a younger guy like Pirri considering the fact that we still have Dorsett and Burrows eating up a combined 6+M.

No thanks to Pirri...  he's just as soft as Hudler.... Vermette is better in most areas  such as faceoffs, grit and offensive production! 

If JB doesn't make an attempt to sign him, then he better got an Evander Kane trade lined up!

Archived