The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have had internal discussions about moving Edler

This is not the time to trade Edler. We don't need to move any d prior to the season start. At worst we could lose 28 y/o AHL regular Beiga thru waivers. Juolevi may surprise for a 9 game stint, but would ultimately be better developed going back to Juinor.  Juolevi should be helping Finland defend its WJC title and puting on size and strength.  

At the TDL depending on where we are at in the standings, or better yet, in the off season next year or at camp next season. 

Edler has a Reasonable cap hit, tantalizing package of attributes. He would be a top target for teams to go for. Real value needs to be coming back. This is not shipping out Kesler (which looks better each time JB makes another trade). 

EW

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

More unsettling BS. I don't believe a word of it and I would be p-ssed if it were to be true.

When are we going to learn to ignore cr-p like this designed to make out we are unhappy with a player. A great player who has borne the physical burden for this team for years now while putting up massive minutes, only to get any mistakes he makes magnified 10 fold by the malcontents on here.

A fit Edler is a beast for us and one of the top Ds in the league.

PK was a pretty good d man.  And that Jones kid can play, no?  Trading Edler for a young first line forward is certainly a plan with potential.  

36 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Before losing Hammer I would have said "yes" to the right deal. Without Hammer, no way. We have no experienced lefties. Trade our last decent top 4 Lefty for likely a forward is not smart in my opinion. Unless we could steal a young could-be replacement. 

We didn't lose Hammer.  Losing something implies you wanted to keep it, because you value it.  We didn't want Hammer, evidenced by our not even talking contract with him.  This is why the entire article is bunk.  We didn't "lose" Hammer.  

We saw how bad this team was with Edler injured. With Hamhuis injured we chugged along at around .5 to .600 hockey. With Sbisa injured most of the season we didn't change too much. Then Edler breaks his leg when we're still close to playoff contention and we drop right out of the Western Conference.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Alex Edler is the most underated player on the Canucks team and probably the 3rd or 4th most important guy on the team. He logs big 23+ minutes a night against top forwards and plays hard minutes that no one can really replace. We saw what happened when the likes of even Hamhuis and Hutton tried to replace those minutes - they got shredded defensively. Edler is an all-round stalwart on defence, people see his mistakes and rip into him but don't see all the good he does because he's not that flashy a defenceman anymore.

If the argument is that we'll get the most value for trading him now rather than later and end up with a Hamhuis-like scenario, lets look at that a bit closer:

1) Trade Edler now, we get not a whole lot in return. Maybe a young forward, or young defenceman, but not a very good one at that. That's the benefit. The con is that we end up without a top lefty defenceman, thrust Hutton into having to play BIG minutes and risk ruining his development, and worst of all you can pretty much write off the entire season if we don't have Edler on board. This is a fringe playoff team right now, but without a top pairing defenceman we're not coming close once again.

2) Keep Edler until his contract expires - we don't get any value for him in return but look, our team is much better for the next few seasons with a top defender, and we get to groom Hutton nice and slowly. He starts as a 2nd pairing lefty this season and may take the reins as top left handed defenceman in 2 years time. That's the way we should be doing it.

Benning has just done a fantastic job of fixing this woeful defence. He saw last season that it was our single biggest weak spot and he did a remarkable job with some very controversial trades to fix that which is EXACTLY what he needed to do, and what a good GM does. The McCann for Gudbranson trade replaces Hamhuis so we're back on par now, we certainly don't have "too many defenceman" and any journalist or writer who thinks we does is absolute garbage and hasn't been following the trends of this team and the others in the Western Conference. We're finally the most balanced a team we've been in years up front, on defence and in goal - lets not mess that up by trading Edler.

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

PK was a pretty good d man.  And that Jones kid can play, no?  Trading Edler for a young first line forward is certainly a plan with potential.  

Well Montreal got a pretty good D man in return too - one that plays the Therrien style. 

As for Jones - he was D5 in Nashville with Ekholm-Ellis being the 2nd pairing and Josi-Weber the 1st.  

Here this is about trading a 1st pairing D with no one in position to fill in for him right now.  

They want to shelter their younger Fs by playing them lower in the lineup but they would be willing to expose their younger Ds who have played even less games.  If anything I see more a D for a D type trade.

First we need to lower expectations on the return and second we need to figure out which two teams. 

-Oilers/Flames cause they're close to Vancouver and in Canada. Oilers need defense.

-Ducks/Kings cause he's still on the westcoast, great weather, won't be recognized in public. Back with Kesler/Bieksa? Either way both good teams. 

-Preds, can round out the top 4 defense. 

Im sure theirs better options just to lazy to think this morning.

If Canucks were serious about trading him, it would have happened before the draft and Hamhuis would have been re-signed.  My guess is the return wasn't nearly good enough to engage serious trade talks for Edler.

On the contrary to purplegrimace, my guess for his list of teams would be two teams from the east : Ottawa and Detroit. 

Opportunity to play with Karlsson, also with Alfredsson in the front office who could convince him to move east, I can see that happening.

Also Detroit, with Zetterberg and Kronwall still there, though the Swedish connection in Detroit decreased in the past few years, but still I think it's a great organization that a lot of player want to play for (i.e Alfresson).

16 minutes ago, LuckyLuciano said:

First we need to lower expectations on the return and second we need to figure out which two teams. 

-Oilers/Flames cause they're close to Vancouver and in Canada. Oilers need defense.

-Ducks/Kings cause he's still on the westcoast, great weather, won't be recognized in public. Back with Kesler/Bieksa? Either way both good teams. 

-Preds, can round out the top 4 defense. 

Im sure theirs better options just to lazy to think this morning.

Anaheim - no.  They have an internal budget and want to move Fowler because expansion.

Nashville - no.  Other than Subban, Josi is 4M, Ekholm 3.75M, Elllis 2.5M.  All 25-26 and signed for the next 3 years.  They are not bringing in Edler to be on their 3rd pairing at 5M.  

Oilers are looking for a RHD who can QB their PP - they want to develop Larsson slowly.

Calgary and Wild are set.

Dallas maybe - they have a fairly young and unexperienced blue line and left Russel, Demers and Goligoski go.  

I'm curious what happens in Tampa with kucherov.  his deal will directly impact drouin and his own self.

wonder if we took an overpaid d man if we could get drouin +.

would drouin for edler be a little light on their end.  has drouin proved his worth enough in the post season?

46 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I'm curious what happens in Tampa with kucherov.  his deal will directly impact drouin and his own self.

would drouin for edler be a little light on their end.  has drouin proved his worth enough in the post season?

Drouin is not available - Cooper thinks the sky's the limit for him. He's an integral part of their core group.  The names that come up as possibly available are Callahan, Filppula, Boyle, Garrison and Bishop - most with NTC/NMCs which makes a move complicated.

54 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Quit dreaming, Drouin and SY kissed and made up.

I stopped caring about this report once they said Sbisa is a #7 D.  Some idiot from Toronto stirring up trash about Vancouver because he's been brainwashed that the Leafs are now the best team in the league.

Archived