The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Day Live Stream - 20 Players + Management

Ossi Vaananen

7 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Dorsett/Sutter/Horvat/Baertschi:

-          Horvat wants to step into leadership role,

-          Dorsett – Gudbranson hard to play against

-          Baertschi – can be scoring forward, happy with season, trying to be consistent, good chemistry with Bo, likes speed on other wing

-          Sutter – focus on winning, ‘sour taste’ from last year, progress last year, development, know vision now, started offseason training march 20th with Edler. Eriksson must score 40 to keep number

Love it, kid oozes leadership future captain for sure

45 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

Edler is a big guy but Gudbranson is huge!!!  I am jacked to see him play!

I thought that was so funny seeing those two... then skinny ol Ryan Miller at the end. He makes Guddy look huuuuge

Also thought it was pretty funnny that Gudbranson's nickname for Brian Campbell is "soupsy" lol

7 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Benning + WD:

-          Playoffs ‘realistic’

-          Players trained hard in summer

-          Added to depth throughout lineup

-          No reported injuries heading into camp

-          Baertschi could start at 2LW, ‘exciting player’, WD believes he will keep improving, competitive, trust in that role.

-          Miller #1 heading into season, up to Willie as to who gets games

-          No games quota on how much each goaltender plays

-          WD – transition game we will score. Jarvis/Malholtra help with this

-          Eriksson starts with Sedins, won’t be “locked in”

-          Better through neutral zone, create chances

-          JB on Rodin – skillset to help us score

-          WD – getting a ‘better’ Brandon Sutter – depth through middle

-          On Virtanen – has to make step, plays hard, heavy game, attributes needed in lineup

-          Have centres that can play wing, tonnes of versatility

-          Competitive camp, 15 or so guys 26 or younger. Getting faster. Help young players develop, learn to win.

-          Eriksson makes other players better.

-          Jarvis, Neutral zone, powerplay, and centre responsibilities. Works with Manny.

-          On Gudbranson, leadership on backend, harder to play against, physicality, intangibles help whole team. Pairing with Hutton likely

-          WD praises Larsen, gifted offensively, high end skill. ‘it’s his time’, strong enough 5 on 5

-          Start the year with 8D, simplify play

-          4 forwards on PP, options. Tanev improved shot in offseason

-          Burrows important piece, leader.

-          Tryamkin, better chance to make team with experience from last year, get pushed in camp

-          Baertschi/Horvat as pair, Virtanen/Rodin/Hansen as potential linemates

-          Bo Most consistent

Doggie lidster on 1040 says Larsen reminds him of Karlsson, and Willie giving him that much praise as well...

We'll just have to see how things go. Hope for the best.

Awesome job with the note taking OP. For me, I think Horvat answered the leadership question to a tee. Him and Guddy with provide solid leadership in the locker room for years to come. I liked the way both Hutton and Gudbranson answered the questions about being together as a pairing.  In fact they seemed to be ecstatic about the idea. I think Benning did a good job in  answering the questions, in fact he was real good. I liked what Sutter had to say especially at the end there where he told Eriksson he must score 40 goals or else he's taking his number back. 

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I liked what WD said about getting 15 more points than last is a goal to fight for the playoff spot.

And he re-iterated what I've been thinking about our improved defense stopping more scoring chances- then developing scoring off our transitions. 

Weren't we the worst ever for giving up more chances than we created - the difference was really a lot?

5 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I know everyone expects Edler/Tanev, Hutton/Gudbranson but I would be stoked if Edler/Gudbranson & Hutton/Tanev could work out as pairings as well.  Other teams might have a difficult time getting the puck out of their zone  against Tanev/Hutton

Could imagine if we could hit a home run two years in a row with our college guys - last year Hutton and this year Stecher?  What if Stecher forces his way onto the team, like Hutton did last year?  Wow!  

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I know everyone expects Edler/Tanev, Hutton/Gudbranson but I would be stoked if Edler/Gudbranson & Hutton/Tanev could work out as pairings as well.  Other teams might have a difficult time getting the puck out of their zone  against Tanev/Hutton

Hutton/Tanev would be great, only problem is Edler and Gudbranson are guilty of being a step behind at times.

I think that's why they want more mobile guys with each of them.

11 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Benning + WD:

-          Baertschi could start at 2LW, ‘exciting player’, WD believes he will keep improving, competitive, trust in that role.

-        

-          Baertschi/Horvat as pair, Virtanen/Rodin/Hansen as potential linemates

-          Bo Most consistent

Nice summary. So does this mean they're looking at Baer-Bo-Virtanen as the 2nd line? I'm OK with that as the minutes will be spread out pretty evenly anyway, and Sutter should be taking more of the defensive zone draws.

If Jake can get his up-sized 220+ lb body in front of the net that should give Bo and Sven a lot of options. 

Archived