The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tortorella

TheGuardian_

So many posters had various reason's for hating Tort's.

From his going after Hartley in the hall. We now know he had some history with Hartley and Tort's was upset about Albert's having his career ended and that Hartley had done the same thing before vs Tampa.

Tort's telling the world the core was "old and stale" and needed to be replaced. Something TO did the next year and look where they are now.

Torts not attending practices, well after the month there was no real practice time due to the compressed schedule and number of back to backs.

Tort's not being a good coach showed by the points standings, but the Canucks had more injuries to key people than any time in the last decade, only one player played all the games. He still managed the now lofty goal of 83 points.

Tort's not playing Luongo, that very well may have been the plan to get Luongo to agree to the trade to Florida.

Tort's reportedly watching soap opera's, ever heard of the term same old, same old, the soap opera called "the days of our lives", a parody?

Tort's is a good coach, just look at his record in Columbus and he stopped having practices there all together at times due to the schedule.

He took Columbus from the cellar to finishing ahead of the Canucks.

His record there since he took over a demoralized team is,  46W - 34L - 12-OTL in 94 games, a .553 points percentage

Now our Willie's isn't so bad 89W - 88L - 20-OTL in 197 games, a .524 points percentage.

But Willie's last 105 games the same time period there is a difference however  , 41W - 49L - 15 - OTL,   .461 points percentage.

IMO, I don't think Torts still being here could do much better with this bandaid "competitive" group, although Tort's did seem to get the most out of the young guys especially Kassian, I wonder how he would have done with Virtanen.

In hindsight Tort's was right about the core needing to get younger and the need for future top six forwards, the present management group agrees.

He was right about Vancouver fans experiencing some pain while rebuilding, he used that term, the present group is only now starting to use that term.

He was right about the Sedins being warriors.

Gillis was right about hiring Tort's, he is the best coach for young future NHLers, his team's "grew" more NHLer's than most other coaches Look at the players out of Tampa and the powerhouse NY Rangers.

I liked his pressers, Willie's are like watching paint dry.

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Not trying to be antagonistic, but what is your point?

As much of a point as most of the drivel posted, I mean how many pointless posts are about Sedin trades, cups, TO, Boeser, whatever.

Torts was railroaded out of this market by a media needing stories because the team was crappy. He ended up being a lightning rod and this market shouldn't "kill the messenger" every time the media tells them to.

7 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

As much of a point as most of the drivel posted, I mean how many pointless posts are about Sedin trades, cups, TO, Boeser, whatever.

Torts was railroaded out of this market by a media needing stories because the team was crappy. He ended up being a lightning rod and this market shouldn't "kill the messenger" every time the media tells them to.

It's true he was definitely not the sole reason for the disaster that was the Torts era here as he inherited a club on the decline without the likes of our current young players anywhere on the horizon. But you have to admit, lightning rod or not, he had to go. We'll never know what was said in exit interviews with players at the time, but one has to assume from the aftermath that he had lost the room and much of the team that year. So if you're suggesting we should've kept him, I disagree. If you're just merely playing Devil's advocate for Torts, I think you should spare your heart for more interesting things going around the club right now :)

11 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I don't think this thread is going to do anything for your rep count. 

I always thought it was telling that after Tampa won their cup, none of the players invited Torts out to party.

Really? How is that even possible, he's the coach that got you a cup. 

16 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I would have respected your post more if you had not turned it into another ludicrous "bash Willie" thread. You can hardly compare a coach in his 3rd year and going through a rebuild where we had virtually nothing in our farm team to a coach who has been around for 15 years and with a Club who had been a middle league team for the past 6 years.

Even your "injury comparison" is silly. Torts had experienced players with the exception of Jensen to carry the Canucks while Willie has had to rely heavily on inexperienced rookies.

18 hours ago, EmilyM said:

It's true he was definitely not the sole reason for the disaster that was the Torts era here as he inherited a club on the decline without the likes of our current young players anywhere on the horizon. But you have to admit, lightning rod or not, he had to go. We'll never know what was said in exit interviews with players at the time, but one has to assume from the aftermath that he had lost the room and much of the team that year. So if you're suggesting we should've kept him, I disagree. If you're just merely playing Devil's advocate for Torts, I think you should spare your heart for more interesting things going around the club right now :)

What difference would it have made to keep him, well the owners wouldn't have been out the millions it cost to fire him. He wouldn't be coaching the BJ's, a competitor. The Sedins might be playing less ice time:P.

I did post, IMO, I don't think it would have made that big a difference to this "competitive" group in the standings if he had stayed, but to blame him for the on ice product even when he told the truth to the fans, well he got paid to take the blame I guess, Willie is next.

As far as somethings going on around the club right now, something are just not posted, I never posted about Kassian's off ice issues because that is personal. I may have hinted in general but....

Archived