The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What pieces are we actually missing?

MrCanuck94

I feel we have enough bottom 6 and role players and we are definitely missing a First Line Center and atleast one of the two first line wingers. We may have a No. 1 defenceman in Juolevi and I think we got our No.1 goalie in Demko. The focus should be the draft next year. Despite the fact people may say next year's draft is a weak draft but we may still get some late-round steals that may do wonders for us.

1 hour ago, Rocksterh8 said:

A first line, A second line, Defence and a goalie.  Anything else?

Your so right man, Horvat, Boeser, and Eriksson are career third and fourth liners... Juolevi is probably a 7th d-man, and Demko is...... not gunna be a goalie :P

Haha simmer down buttercup, check what side of the bed is the right side before you get up.

35 minutes ago, combover said:

1 owner that's lets the professionals do there job

2 a gm that is capable of REBUILDING by acquiring and picks and prospects and stocking the farm.ie not benning

3 a NHL coach that believes in development and playing to your strengths so that rules out willie.

4 three top three forwards SKILL/scoring

5 hard hitting checking 3rd 4th line that know there role. 

second line Horvat boesser and virtanen. 

the d looks okay some size and some mobility 

goaltending should be solid as well.

so yeah seven years from now we should be a playoff team. 1 more year of worlds worst gm, the coach is pretty much  done, and ownership will soon be sick of watching the game alone in the massive area. 

The new gm will have his hand full with the garbage contracts and ntcs  handed out by benning and the total lack of skill that's been brought in by him. 

You know what doesn't help rebuilding? Firing your coach and GM every couple of seasons...

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You know what doesn't help rebuilding? Firing your coach and GM every couple of seasons...

You know what doesn't help rebuilding -

Having a coach and GM that are not committed to rebuilding and instead want to settle for 20th to 30 th overall every year.

37 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Your so right man, Horvat, Boeser, and Eriksson are career third and fourth liners... Juolevi is probably a 7th d-man, and Demko is...... not gunna be a goalie :P

Haha simmer down buttercup, check what side of the bed is the right side before you get up.

Horvat, Boeser and Eriksson are probably career 2nd liners.... Juolevi & Demco have proven nothing in the nhl yet so you better wake up and smell the coffee tulipface.

Just now, Rocksterh8 said:

Horvat, Boeser and Eriksson are probably career 2nd liners.... Juolevi & Demco have proven nothing in the nhl yet so you better wake up and smell the coffee tulipface.

So your saying all of our future pieces have to be on our team or in the NHL at this point? 

I believe the discussion is about what prospects we have?

7 hours ago, smokes said:

I don't know who they are planning to draft but whoever it is needs to have skill. None of our prospects possess elite level skill, most are being groomed to be two way forwards. There is a triggerman in Boeser but almost nothing on skill. A Marner, Nylander type player.

Have you actually watched Boeser...  he's no triggerman... he's a sniper with elite skills that are better than Bo's

Just now, Camel Toe Drag said:

So your saying all of our future pieces have to be on our team or in the NHL at this point? 

I'm saying NO ONE knows how they will perform in the NHL, (A MUCH BETTER LEAGUE)  wake up man

2 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Have you actually watched Boeser...  he's no triggerman... he's a sniper with elite skills that are better than Bo's

How many goal did Virtanen have in juniors and how did that translate in the NHL? good god people

4 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I'm saying NO ONE knows how they will perform in the NHL, (A MUCH BETTER LEAGUE)  wake up man

Exactly, you don't know. So you can't say Boeser is a career second liner at this point, or that Juo won't be a #1 d-man. You've talked yourself into a corner my friend. 

2 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Olympics-calibre Canadian forwards. If we can't get that, then more identical twins forwards.

LOL exactly.

Wtf is a "direction" really? This is a game of chance. Winnipeg sure had GREAT DIRECTION in having Laine fall in their laps! How come our GM is too stupid to pull that off? Which direction do they go in 20 years when Laine has reached legendary status in their franchise and is in his last few years of his career?

Obviously a good GM has his feelers all around the league trying to make improvements, and come draft day they have to be super prepared for any situation to ensure they get a quality prospect....

But seriously, how is Benning not doing that? He's addressed our team needs more diligently than other GM we've ever had. Our team is not a good one yet, but it IS completely transformed. Our direction was to get younger, to trim the fat from the old core, and largely we've done that.

The pieces we're missing are all up front. Point-producing players. Players that are difficult to come by.

While I don't agree with Linden's comments that it's "not fair to the Twins" for us to rebuild, I do agree that our situation is different than almost every other team in the league. No team has EVER had two identical all star linemates at its core. Like, if anything more dramatic happened in their careers, we could have seen a Sedin twin hollywood biopic... that's the kind of hockey we've been privileged to this past decade plus.

And of course we owe it to the Twins to be competitive, but clearly they just want to be invigorated by other talented players. Not talking about freakin' Vrbata, or even Eriksson. A young talent that gives us confidence for the future and pushes the Twins to power through their last few years as athletes. 

Teams in lesser markets also have star players, don't forget that. Their is a parity to this league, and every team has players that give you your money's worth. And most teams have a much higher turn-over rate in terms of bringing in and unloading talent in an attempting at reshaping their team's identity. But when Burke made that bold move to draft both Sedins, he basically threw a blanket over our team and said "this is team Sedin until 2020ish". That's the danger of putting all your eggs in two baskets.

The league is cyclical. Toronto for example has Matthews + Marner right now, but who did they draft in 2000? Who did Sundin hand the reigns to again?

It's pretty rare to have a Red Wings team (Yzerman, Fedorov, etc.) and be able to transition into your Datsyuk, Zetterberg phase without missing a step. 

Yes, we need a star forward. Hell, we probably need TWO. But if we're talking a young phenom/franchise talent, there's a very real chance we never get that player, boys. They don't just materialize.
But even if we suffer for a few more years, at worst the Twins leave this league bored and unaccomplished, their contacts come off the books and we bring in whichever star player is available through free agency, or we make a bold trade. 

It certainly appears as if Benning is not looking BEYOND the Sedins, he's actively trying to complement them instead of REPLACING them. But to be perfectly honest, I would do the same damn thing. These are some of the greatest athletes in the history of our game. If we are able to load up the front end with talent and push the Twins into a secondary role, we may actually see another window opening just before they get phased out. 

I personally believe that's why Jimbo has been calm and calculated about everything.  He needs to hit a home run that fills a need for a new face to the franchise while still keeping things open for the Twins to be successful. It IS possible, but it's a very very very difficult move.

We WILL have star players again, don't you worry about that. Like I said, every team has them. The debate is whether we'll have star players in time for the Sedins to get to play some meaningful hockey again.

While I have no doubt that Bo could be admirable in a first line role a perfect world would have him as our second line center. 

As for the rest? Brock could bust for all we know and Eugene Levy does not have a number one defenseman ceiling but could top out as a decent number 2 should all the stars align.

What we need is a clear superstar forward and a true norris number one d-man. We can't hope that goaltending and character can hide that liability in the future. 

26 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

'We need to tear down and get draft picks!'

'All our prospects are garbage and haven't proven a damn thing in the NHL!

23 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

How many goal did Virtanen have in juniors and how did that translate in the NHL? good god people

Any production we get from Virtanen before he's about 22-24 is gravy. People expecting him to be remotely fully developed at 19 or 20 are nuts. Power forwards almost always don't remotely produce major numbers until then. 

Virtanen has elite skating, an elite shot and good size/physicality. He, like most PWF's, simply needs to learn how to use those things against players who are no longer smaller than him. He has to learn how to work at dominating rather than it simply happening because he's bigger like in junior. 

3 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

While I have no doubt that Bo could be admirable in a first line role a perfect world would have him as our second line center. 

As for the rest? Brock could bust for all we know and Eugene Levy does not have a number one defenseman ceiling but could top out as a decent number 2 should all the stars align.

What we need is a clear superstar forward and a true norris number one d-man. We can't hope that goaltending and character can hide that liability in the future. 

I know you meant Olli Juolevi but this made me laugh.

38 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Exactly, you don't know. So you can't say Boeser is a career second liner at this point, or that Juo won't be a #1 d-man. You've talked yourself into a corner my friend. 

I didn't say that, if you read it, I said "probably" which MEANS I'm not sure.

If you read slower maybe you will be able to comprehend what you are reading.

Archived