The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What pieces are we actually missing?

MrCanuck94

18 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yup  - should  be pretty simple to find a  few coachs with NHL experience.... interview them.  choose one.

Instead our club finds a career minor league coach and hires him....  

Yup your right it should have been simple... 

I was referring to your simplistic view of things. But carry on. 

27 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

because thats not the post where I said it, go back to the original first reply post - here is a copy of it just for you. You see the word "probably" there now?

Horvat, Boeser and Eriksson are probably career 2nd liners.... Juolevi & Demco have proven nothing in the nhl yet so you better wake up and smell the coffee tulipface.

The word "probably" doesn't fit the bill, when you have no evidence or facts to back it up. We have more than enough reason to believe that Boeser, Juolevi, and Demko (this is how you spell his name properly) are good prospects, perhaps some of the best in the league correct? So by that logic we should be excited that they hopefully transfer this to the big leagues compared to prospects who aren't so highly profiled. Its a matter of staying optimistic but paying attention to the facts.

1 minute ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

The word "probably" doesn't fit the bill, when you have no evidence or facts to back it up. We have more than enough reason to believe that Boeser, Juolevi, and Demko (this is how you spell his name properly) are good prospects, perhaps some of the best in the league correct? So by that logic we should be excited that they hopefully transfer this to the big leagues compared to prospects who aren't so highly profiled. Its a matter of staying optimistic but paying attention to the facts.

I love those prospects listed too, but the only fact is none of them have done anything at the NHL level.  Their ceilings as prospects are high, but those are merely projections, not fact.  

We HOPE Demko is a top five starter, Boeser is a 40 goal scorer, and Juiolevi is an elite number one dman. 

We need more and more prospects so our chances are higher that some will actually reach their ceilings.  JB MUST stop trading away draft picks, and start accumulating them, so we can build up to having two or three prospects at each position that we think could become elite.

Fans with more patience is the primary need.  This isn't a problem that will be solved at trade deadline this year.  Honestly, there are players already on the roster that are being chucked out with the bathwater by the OP and others.  We have a number of current players who will be playing a role for at least this season and next (Sedins, Eriksson, Hansen, Baertschi, Rodin and more).  The Canucks need one more top six player for next season and at least two more the season after.  If we get more top six talent developing in the system, it will cost in terms of cap space and someone with a bad contract is a problem (Eriksson)

We're a bubble team if all goes well this season.  It's going to take a year or two to get back into the playoffs solidly if all goes well, but losing the Sedins after next year (if that happens) might slow that down as that's another two top 6 players needed.  We probably have one or maybe two solid top six players in the system if all goes well development wise.  Or we might not.  Or maybe we'll get lucky and we'll get more out of our current group in the end.  Who knows?  For sure, our forward needs are currently greater than our D needs, but if we can draft more good d and trade one of em for a Taylor Hall, then that's not a bad route.  I think Benning will do a decent job of filling the gaps and making a competitive team.  I'm looking forward to seeing Rodin in the line up in a week or so along with Hansen.  Rosters are always a fluid thing due to injuries, contract negotiations (rfa/ufa), player performance and more.  It's not all good, it's not all bad, just a muddled grey area.  At least we know that for the next few years, top 6 talent is what is needed.

Depth at every position.

Two top notch scoring forwards, at least one being a centre.  Probably another top 2 D prospect.

I think there is a good framework.  A good looking potential number one D and some good depth and variety in the rest of the young D.  A good 2 centre in Bo, a very good looking scoring winger in Boesser.  A not as good looking 2/3 centre in Sutter and a good depth centre in Gaunce.  Some complimentary young wingers in Jake, Baer and Granlund.  Demko, we will see but looks like a great G prospect and Markstrom is decent enough to hold the fort over the next couple years which are going to be ugly no matter who is net.

Feels like we have done the rebuild backwards.  Edmonton just got the star players but never had the framework to drop them into, we have the framework but not the star players to drop into it.  Since there is really no standard way to rebuild hopefully we get a little luck in the lottery and can add one elite forward this year and don't rush them to the NHL if they aren't ready (see Virtanen/McCaan).

I hate to join the coach bashing party but that should probably be addressed in the offseason as well.

They need a goal scoring, preferably mean (Big Bert) PF like a Pacioretty, Bobby Ryan, JVR, Carter type players.

They need a 4th liner tough guy policeman who can skate and hit.  Boll (Ducks), Kurtis Gabriel (Wild), Neil (Ott), Martin (TO) Kassian, Lucic, Marroon (EDM)

Snipers:  Canucks have less than other teams.  Brock might be the one.

Draft more bigger, faster players who plays with Passion.   Most of the Canuck prospects are under 6 feet tall.  See Seattle Seahawks drafing.

Do BB and TL really think they can go 4 hard, heavy rounds with 5'11 average size players?  They will need an extra two lines to replace the injured ones.

Too much wait and see for us to really know what we're missing. What we do know is that we don't have an elite #1 center, have yet to develop a #1 D into our lineup yet (even if Juolevi is promising) and could stand to see Boeser really fill that top scoring winger slot as well. We seem to have a number of secondary players ready to go in the lineup and potentially in the wings as well, but the question marks remain around where our best scoring talent is going to come from. I don't know that that's changed since we had players like the Sedins, Kesler, Ohlund and Edler make it solidly in our roster.

20 hours ago, Green⌃Arrow said:

A good coach. ;) 

Ok, here we go again: AV is the problem, let's bring in Torts; Torts is the problem, let's bring in Willie; Willie is the problem, let's bring in .... Green/?/?

The problem is our lack of elite talent. We have a better prospect pool than we did before and JB has rebuilt our D. But, he have no future #1 Centre (maybe Horvat) and no scoring wingers. We are mired in mediocrity (middle of the pack) if we are lucky, as we are now about 4th from the bottom of the league. No new coach could "make us great again" (sorry for that reference).

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I was referring to your simpleton view of things. Carry on...

What you and tank nation don't seem to get is we are a wild card contending team if everything goes absolutely perfect. You claim to be wanting a low pick but come in after every game we lose with your pitch forks to clean house... Isn't this what you wanted to lose? Yet here you every every pgt whining pissing and moaning that WD should be fired.

Personally I like that the team is in close games for the most part because I don't want a decade of irrelevance like Toronto/Columbus/Edmonton/Carolina have had.

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

What you and tank nation don't seem to get is we are a wild card contending team if everything goes absolutely perfect. You claim to be wanting a low pick but come in after every game we lose with your pitch forks to clean house... Isn't this what you wanted to lose? Yet here you every every pgt whining pissing and moaning that WD should be fired.

Personally I like that the team is in close games for the most part because I don't want a decade of irrelevance like Toronto/Columbus/Edmonton/Carolina have had.

We are a 28th place team.  I did not realize that 28th got you into the playoffs as a wild card club...

c0cb102aeb86ff9e9d77b746884096f5.jpg

16 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yup  - should  be pretty simple to find a  few coachs with NHL experience.... interview them.  choose one.

Instead our club finds a career minor league coach and hires him....  

Yup your right it should have been simple... 

So what your saying is pull a name from a hat and keep on plodding forward with the old boys club instead of trying to find a fresh face with a winning record and a new direction? Glad you're not running the team!

Like others have mentioned, we need top end talent.  I've been saying it for some time already. 

The Sedins should not be relied on to carry this team any longer.  2nd line minutes - sure. 

Besides Horvat (who I am still slotting in as a high end 2nd liner center) and Boeser (who knows how his game will translate to the NHL), we have very little in way of prospects for our top line.  We need one excellent center, and at LEAST one excellent winger to join... if not two.  We then also require players like Baertschi and/or Virtanen to hit their potential for our 2nd line, or we require help there too.

I believe the rest of our forward lineup looks good.

To a lesser degree, I think we could still use a #1 PMD.  With that said though, the development of Hutton and Stecher greatly reduce that need and I believe if we had the right mix of forwards that we could make do with what we currently have - especially if Juolevi pans out.

I don't believe goaltending will be a problem.  Markstrom isn't having a great year (along with the rest of the team), but I believe he is a strong presence in the net.  Add to that the possibility of Demko developing into a #1 as well, and we should be more or less set in goal.

So, I actually don't think we need a lot.  But what we need are hard things to obtain given our lack of assets.

24 minutes ago, Katobaron said:

So what your saying is pull a name from a hat and keep on plodding forward with the old boys club instead of trying to find a fresh face with a winning record and a new direction? Glad you're not running the team!

Yah, currently in 28th place.....  Not hard to beat  our current coaches record.  Too funny.

Archived