The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

3 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I have a feeling this guy could be a real surprise for Canucks.   I watched his preseason action (admittedly not live) and he looked very NHL ready and smart for a guy in hindsight  who was playing on one leg and in a fair bit of pain apparently.   Give him two working lower body limbs, he may be a solid addition and bump a few of the players CDC types keep penciling in with firm roster spots.   If nothing else, he will raise the positional compete level.   I also like that for a guy who hasn't played much in North America he is a "in traffic" type.

3 hours ago, ice orca said:

I like Rodin but the guy is an injury magnet..Watch his knee be fine but  get hit into the boards and come up with a shoulder separation .

The new Salo but forward version? 

I'm excited to see what he can do when healthy. He's shown flashes of high skill level and a willingness to go to the dirty areas. I definitely will not be surprised if he is in the opening night lineup (I'm pretty much expecting him to be).

18 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I have a feeling this guy could be a real surprise for Canucks.   I watched his preseason action (admittedly not live) and he looked very NHL ready and smart for a guy in hindsight  who was playing on one leg and in a fair bit of pain apparently.   Give him two working lower body limbs, he may be a solid addition and bump a few of the players CDC types keep penciling in with firm roster spots.   If nothing else, he will raise the positional compete level.   I also like that for a guy who hasn't played much in North America he is a "in traffic" type.

It would be such a home run if this kid was able to make the roster. My comment would be that he was claiming his injury was healed last fall as well. The proof will be in his camp I guess. He does have a bit of a injury history. The positive is that he has worked through it all and still has the desire. 

On 7/31/2017 at 4:01 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Definitely has the ability, but putting it together consistently will be the real question. Hopefully he puts it together enough to be a real answer in our lineup, or at least garner some interest as trade bait.

On 7/31/2017 at 8:21 PM, ice orca said:

I like Rodin but the guy is an injury magnet..Watch his knee be fine but  get hit into the boards and come up with a shoulder separation .

It's a little hard on him to say a fluke injury and a condition he's had with his knee that's lasted all this time is an injury magnet. The only thing I remember from when he was here previously was a bit of a shoulder injury, otherwise he's certainly played a number of full seasons between the AHL and the SEL/SweHL.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Rodin starts in Utica too?

Rodin and Boeser are the cream of the "who get's a spot" gang....Rodin would be plucked off waivers by the first team with dibs... but there is no way he doesn't beat out the also ran's.

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Granlund / Sutter / Rodin

Sedins / Gagner

Gaunce or Burmistrov / Same / Dorsett or Eriksson ( I can't find a spot for Eriksson he makes every line worse)

Boucher

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Rodin and Boeser are the cream of the "who get's a spot" gang....Rodin would be plucked off waivers by the first team with dibs... but there is no way he doesn't beat out the also ran's.

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Granlund / Sutter / Rodin

Sedins / Gagner

Gaunce or Burmistrov / Same / Dorsett or Eriksson ( I can't find a spot for Eriksson he makes every line worse)

Boucher

I guess if Rodin gets put on waivers, he would likely get picked up.  Too bad the same couldn't be said for Eriksson:(

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I guess if Rodin gets put on waivers, he would likely get picked up.  Too bad the same couldn't be said for Eriksson:(

Wouldn't happen anyway cause Eriksson has a no move clause for this season.  

Rodin won't have to be kept because of waivers, IMO he will earn his spot, just like how he did it last training camp.  He was easily the best forward in the preseason and yet was playing on one good leg.

• Upvote 3

On 8/1/2017 at 10:00 PM, dpn1 said:

Kind of curious about a Rodin, Gagner and Virtanen line.  Just a thought.  Be an interesting 3rd or 4th line with scoring potential. :)

It might be interesting to see how 4 scoring lines might work in the NHL these days (as long as each of the lines know how to play a bit of defence too, but we have a lot of those proverbial "two-way" players).  The old formula of 2 scoring lines, one checking line and one physical line might be passé.  And the Canucks might even be thinking along those lines, we at least have the personnel to do that if we want to.  Might be an interesting, if not effective, experiment.  GCG!

I really hope Rodin makes the team, he has a tonne of potential and would love to see him succeed.

I feel like we have pretty good depth of guys who can score up front, but I think the big difference maker for us will be MDZ as we are still lacking in points from the back end. 

Will we get the 40 pt offensive dynamo MDZ, the two-way 32 pt MDZ from Philly year one, the shutdown MDZ from Philly year 2, or the inconsistent MDZ from the other half of his career seasons?

59 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I really hope Rodin makes the team, he has a tonne of potential and would love to see him succeed.

I feel like we have pretty good depth of guys who can score up front, but I think the big difference maker for us will be MDZ as we are still lacking in points from the back end. 

Will we get the 40 pt offensive dynamo MDZ, the two-way 32 pt MDZ from Philly year one, the shutdown MDZ from Philly year 2, or the inconsistent MDZ from the other half of his career seasons?

LOL. I am confident that Horvat scores 60 points. The rest are a crap shoot. Not the 2nd lowest ppg for no reason.  

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

LOL. I am confident that Horvat scores 60 points. The rest are a crap shoot. Not the 2nd lowest ppg for no reason.  

A bit part of that is a complete lack of offense from our D. Daniel Sedin, Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Boeser, Rodin, Boucher, Sutter, Eriksson, Goldobin are all guys who have potential to score 15-20 goals. I don't think we will have any 60 point players other than maybe Horvat. But if we have 7 guys who score at least 40 points, 5  or 6 with 20+ goals, and a couple guys on the backend with 30 points I would be happy. Still far from being a high scoring team, still bottom half, but generating offense throughout the lineup.

No high-end talent to speak of though. We need Eriksson putting up at least second line numbers and a breakout from either Rodin, Goldobin, Boucher, or Boeser. 

Not saying this will happen. In fact we probably finish bottom 3 again in ppg. I tend to get optimistic late in the offseason for some reason. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

A bit part of that is a complete lack of offense from our D. Daniel Sedin, Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Boeser, Rodin, Boucher, Sutter, Eriksson, Goldobin are all guys who have potential to score 15-20 goals. I don't think we will have any 60 point players other than maybe Horvat. But if we have 7 guys who score at least 40 points, 5  or 6 with 20+ goals, and a couple guys on the backend with 30 points I would be happy. Still far from being a high scoring team, still bottom half, but generating offense throughout the lineup.

No high-end talent to speak of though. We need Eriksson putting up at least second line numbers and a breakout from either Rodin, Goldobin, Boucher, or Boeser. 

Not saying this will happen. In fact we probably finish bottom 3 again in ppg. I tend to get optimistic late in the offseason for some reason. 

Your scenario is well within the realm. Totally agree that the backend has not produced the points and that hurts players like the Twins and even Ericksson who are usually strong puck possession players. They cycle out of the corners either to the slot or back to the point. 

We all get excited during the off season as we put the best twist on the new players. On sober second thought this coming season is all about development and assessment. Quite honestly the older vets do not come into play with me much. This is a rebuilding team and that is my main interest.  

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...