The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future is better than most see it

Hortankin

Bo Horvat is participating in this year's all star game in his 3rd season! Wow who would have guessed that when we were all disappointed about losing Schnieder. To all those people saying Bo is a future 2nd liner at best you are wrong, he's our number 1. 

Brock Boeser is almost certainly going to be a 25-40G scorer consistently throughout his career and almost a sure bet to be Horvat's winger for many many years.

I may get ripped on for this but I honestly believe we have our other future first line winger in Virtanen. I believe Virtanen will be a better version of Bertuzzi and he will be a key element in our first cup in franchise history.

A second line of Baertschi, Sutter, Granlund sounds pretty good in 2-3 years they will be a lot better.

Third line of the twins and Eriksson will be the best 3rd line in the NHL.

Our D is set for years to come, Benning deserves a HUGE thank you for how fast he turned our terrible D around.

And with Markstrom and Demko I feel we will be blessed in goal for years to come as well.

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Baertschi Sutter Granlund

Sedin Sedin Eriksson 

Juolevi Gudbranson

Tryamkin Stecher

Hutton/Edler Tanev

Demko

Markstrom

So many option for 4th line but by the way I see things shaping up we will be a legit contender in 2-3 year. Playoff bound for sure next year, and maybe ever this year!

Young nucleus.

Key young talent NOT yet in the 'A'. Our pipeline gets underestimated.

About 30~35 mill coming off the books, next 2 summers combined.

So arguably only 1 bad contract(LE) on the books, going forward. That might improve, as the surrounding players(on Louie's line, etc) improves.

A fanbase which will always support a decent team; enabling owners to spend right to the ceiling(unlike say, Ottawa)

A beautiful city to attract UFA's & College FA's.***NOTE: I get the impression more young talent(overall) is emerging from the west coast. I'd attribute this partly to more money(in general) out west. Hockey's become an elitist-endeavour. Compared to the 70's & 80's, I notice a greater % of prospects from BC. I think this will pay dividends for the Canucks(ala Stecher) over the long-haul.

Team's quite well-positioned for upcoming expansion. Lots of young D, not requiring protection.

There are a lot of reasons for optimism.

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

lol you just lost all credibility after you say Virtanen will be a better Bertuzzi. 

How is that? Op is merely giving us his opinion and whether or not Virt can be a better version of Bert. Sure he isn't that right now but Virt has many years to figure it out and get to the point, so how he lost credibiltiy is beyond me. 

2 minutes ago, lethal_spaghetti said:

How is that? Op is merely giving us his opinion and whether or not Virt can be a better version of Bert. Sure he isn't that right now but Virt has many years to figure it out and get to the point, so how he lost credibiltiy is beyond me. 

It is like saying we will win the stanley cup within the next 3 years. Outrageous statement with zero foundation and forward looking evidence. That's called losing credibility, why do I have to teach common sense on here?

I dont know if Jake will be better than Bertuzzi.  If he can turn out to be a heavy forchecking winger that can pop 15-20 goals a year, wear down opposing dmen and cause turn overs he will be a valuable asset.

Boeser is our blue chip prospect up front.  Craig Button recently hinted that hes one of the top players not in in the NHL.  Apparently hes gonna publish some list of top players in the world that are not in the NHL and Boeser is really high on the list.

I think the sleeper in all of this is Gaudette.  He is having a fantastic year at NU.  Currently in the top 5 NCAA in scoring.

2 minutes ago, lethal_spaghetti said:

Please, Bertuzzi in his prime was one of the best forwards in the league (forget just "power forward").  5th overall in points in the 2002-03 season.

Part of the reason for that was Nazzy forming the other half of the dynamic duo (who was THE most lethal left winger in the league - 2nd overall in points that season as well).

While Morrison was no true #1 center - he was a very respectable #2 center that was able to handle the defensive duties required on that line.  Definately not chopped liver.

All three formed the deadly WCE.

Expecting Virt to be anywhere near Bert isn't realistic.

5 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

It is like saying we will win the stanley cup within the next 3 years. Outrageous statement with zero foundation and forward looking evidence. That's called losing credibility, why do I have to teach common sense on here?

You can correct me if I am wrong but I remember it taking Bert a about 3-4 seasons in the NHL before he was a dominate force in the NHL. Im just trying to say that its way too premature to rule Jake out into becoming a Bert type of player. 

15 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I dont know if Jake will be better than Bertuzzi.  If he can turn out to be a heavy forchecking winger that can pop 15-20 goals a year, wear down opposing dmen and cause turn overs he will be a valuable asset.

Boeser is our blue chip prospect up front.  Craig Button recently hinted that hes one of the top players not in in the NHL.  Apparently hes gonna publish some list of top players in the world that are not in the NHL and Boeser is really high on the list.

I think the sleeper in all of this is Gaudette.  He is having a fantastic year at NU.  Currently in the top 5 NCAA in scoring.

I think Virtanen can be that heavy force that scores 20 goals a season and 40 to 50 points consistently and if he becomes that I would be very happy.

Boeser is on track to be a good player but I'd still say it's a 50/50 chance he'll pan out. Hodgson was "almost certainly" going to be an NHL all star and future captain of our team at one point too remember? Still optimistic for Boeser but I just can't say any player is a guarantee after witnissing Hodgson show all that promise.

Jake can't be mentioned in the same sentence as Bertuzzi, maybe a Booth or even Torres if we're REALLY lucky.

Sutter is about 9 years into his NHL career and has been consistently been playing the same role and putting up the same numbers, I'm not sure if he'll start producing at a higher rate any time soon. Granlund might improve a bit to become a good third liner or barely a 2nd liner on a weak team. Baerstchi is the only one here that I agree with, he's definitely got 2nd line potential and showing it now. 

I hate being negative but these are the most realistic predictions I can make and I'm sure that most people who have been watching hockey long enough without homer glasses on could agree with this.

3 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

Boeser is on track to be a good player but I'd still say it's a 50/50 chance he'll pan out. Hodgson was "almost certainly" going to be an NHL all star and future captain of our team at one point too remember? Still optimistic for Boeser but I just can't say any player is a guarantee after witnissing Hodgson show all that promise..

my eyes bleed

39 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

lol you just lost all credibility after you say Virtanen will be a better Bertuzzi. 

Right?

Sure Jake may have had one good game just recently but even Travis Green said he wont be an effective NHL'er if he cant keep it up. 

he is not some sure thing at the moment. We can just hope 

1 hour ago, Hortankin said:

Bo Horvat is participating in this year's all star game in his 3rd season! Wow who would have guessed that when we were all disappointed about losing Schnieder. To all those people saying Bo is a future 2nd liner at best you are wrong, he's our number 1. 

Brock Boeser is almost certainly going to be a 25-40G scorer consistently throughout his career and almost a sure bet to be Horvat's winger for many many years.

I may get ripped on for this but I honestly believe we have our other future first line winger in Virtanen. I believe Virtanen will be a better version of Bertuzzi and he will be a key element in our first cup in franchise history.

A second line of Baertschi, Sutter, Granlund sounds pretty good in 2-3 years they will be a lot better.

Third line of the twins and Eriksson will be the best 3rd line in the NHL.

Our D is set for years to come, Benning deserves a HUGE thank you for how fast he turned our terrible D around.

And with Markstrom and Demko I feel we will be blessed in goal for years to come as well.

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Baertschi Sutter Granlund

Sedin Sedin Eriksson 

Juolevi Gudbranson

Tryamkin Stecher

Hutton/Edler Tanev

Demko

Markstrom

So many option for 4th line but by the way I see things shaping up we will be a legit contender in 2-3 year. Playoff bound for sure next year, and maybe ever this year!

Nothing you suggest is impossible. A bit optimistic, but nothing that is completely ridiculous. Certainly less ridiculous than the belief that one can know for sure what the future ceilings will be for promising children, which some people seem to think. I like your spirit!

I love the enthusiasm but you need to take off your Canucks goggles and look at this team from a birds eye view

boeser hasn't signed a contract so he's not even a Canuck yet. He can go back for a 4th year at north dakota next season and if he does than major red flag. Like why not start making money and start your hockey career? He could very well be the vesey. That would be a disaster for this franchise, but it's not a problem until it's a problem

as of right now we have no one else of substance coming through the ranks at forward, especially at centre, to help Horavt out.

I havent lost lost faith in virt but if he doesn't lose some baby fat, start acting like a pro and ultimately lands flat on his face next season too then I'll throw up the red flag 

I hope the sedins retire next year cause lets rip the band aid off already and quit milking this chapter and get onto the next generation.

2 year outlook...

Baertschi-horvat-xxxxx

Eriksson-xxxxx-virtanen

granlund-sutter- xxxxx

Gaunce-xxxxx-dorsett

that team needs a lot of work, ideally Baer and bo should be 2nd line 

Archived