The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

23 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Sounds like from Johnson GM of Utica wants to keep the whole team engaged. He wants the kids to earn it and he wants to keep his AHL crew that got them into the post season feeling valued and part of Uticas future. There is a chance we may see a Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, or Jasek sit at some point. 

So this will be a true test for this team. They got a tricky situation to try and sort out. I suspect Lind sits game one and Dahlen may get pulled at one point too if he isn't contributing. Jasek seems like a big part of their team as he brings elements and speed they have been missing.

I'm curious to see how this all works out. As excited as I am for our forwards Lind, Dahlen, Jasek I am equally excited about the development of Ashton Sautner, Breezer, and Chatfield. Not to mention senior Demko. :D

Dahlen with a goal and assist in his last game, and plays an uptempo, in your face style.  He's not sitting, imo

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

Dahlen with a goal and assist in his last game, and plays an uptempo, in your face style.  He's not sitting, imo

Have to agree with this. Dahlen has definitely earned a spot. And so has Jasek. Both those guys have skills that look very impressive at the AHL level and they play hard. Up against a stacked Toronto team the Comets need all the help they can get and Jasek and Dahlen look a lot better than the PTO players up from the ECHL that Utica has relied on so much (and no dis-respect to them -- they have played well). And I hope Goldy is healthy and focused for the playoffs. He needs to get on the board with some points if the Comets are going to have a chance. And Demko will need to play lights out as well.

As for Lind and Gadjovich, it should be a case of "just happy to be here", and they will start with a clean slate in Utica next year. If they get into a playoff game or two now, great.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Have to agree with this. Dahlen has definitely earned a spot. And so has Jasek. Both those guys have skills that look very impressive at the AHL level and they play hard. Up against a stacked Toronto team the Comets need all the help they can get and Jasek and Dahlen look a lot better than the PTO players up from the ECHL that Utica has relied on so much (and no dis-respect to them -- they have played well). And I hope Goldy is healthy and focused for the playoffs. He needs to get on the board with some points if the Comets are going to have a chance. And Demko will need to play lights out as well.

As for Lind and Gadjovich, it should be a case of "just happy to be here", and they will start with a clean slate in Utica next year. If they get into a playoff game or two now, great.

Goldy has been a very consistent scorer in the AHL, he'll be a force

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So it’s confirmed that Dahlén turned down Team Sweden for Utica:

Feel like I heard this already but was only a rumour at the time? Maybe already reported but figured I’d share anyway.

Wow. That really shows his commitment to coming to North America. He would've been in Utica from the start of the year if he hadn't gotten mono, but he had a pretty successful year in the Allsvenskan anyway. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Wow. That really shows his commitment to coming to North America. He would've been in Utica from the start of the year if he hadn't gotten mono, but he had a pretty successful year in the Allsvenskan anyway. 

Probably also a little bit of big fish small pond vs little fish big pond as well. He'll almost certainly get more ice time and opportunity in Utica.

On 4/19/2018 at 8:36 AM, RetroCanuck said:

We don't have many other trade-able winger assets that hold value.

Eriksson- untradeable

Gagner- limited trade value due to 2years left on contract/ underperforming year

Leipsic, Virtanen, Boeser wont be traded

Goldy, Gaunce, Granlund fighting for spots and should get them, limited trade value.

Thats your 8 winger spots right there. Not including adding any rookies like Pettersson or Dahlen to your wings. Therefore trading Baer for a high pick such as a low first or prospect defensemen makes sense.

It would take the RIGHT deal to trade Baertchi, but he is in a cross roads since a lot of players are gunning for his spot. If a Cale Clague from LA is offered (doubt it) or you have the right trading partner where theres a need for a supplementary scorer in exchange for a young D-man that can't make it because of a full roster, thats worth looking to.

11 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think he is going to force his way onto the Canucks next year. Was stoked when we first got him.  And that was just based on the talent he has. I am blown away by how loyal this kid is and how he seems to know exactly the right steps he needs to take in order to put himself in the best spot to make the team next season.

I think he knew that he would be better off getting acclimated to NA. Over playing if he made it limited minutes in the worlds. I hope if EP makes team Sweden he plays quite a bit, same with OJ. If not I would rather have all three here. I think since EP is not signed yet,  it would take more time to get his contract worked out so prolly a moot point.

• Upvote 1

Would rather he play for Sweden, but I am thinking he wants to get a leg up on what he needs to make the big club next year. AHL playoffs would definitely help in that regard. Just worried about potentially too many games in a calender year. Johnson said in an interview a while ago that these kids play too much hockey it hurts more than it helps in some cases. Particularly in regards to kids that really need to bulk up. Still doesn't hurt for Euro players to get more acquainted with the NA ice and the style. AHL gets a bad rep for not being particularly competitive in the eyes of some fans but it's a tough league. He has a good work ethic it sounds like and is dedicated to the franchise. I am really liking this kid.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Not only does it show commitment to coming to North America, it shows commitment to his team. Which he has shown time and time again. He's willing to put all the flashy high end accolades aside to focus on his team and nothing else. The fact he didn't leave Timra and go to the SHL shows the kind of player he will become...unfinnished business, okay lets get it done, then single handedly wills the team back into the SHL. Guys like this are what you need on a team. Love it! His sacrifices will lead to greater things in the future. Kid is full of character.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/20/2018 at 9:02 AM, stawns said:

Getting a goal and an assist in one game doesn't dictate whether he sits or not.  RJ basically watered down the hype saying that game that Dahlen got 2 points was good and a great way to start his pro career in North America, but then again this was the last game of the regular season, against a team who wasn't in the playoffs, who didn't dress a handful of their best players.  He also compared the type of intensity of the playoffs is far different from the last game of a regular season.

Like @Rush17 had pointed out, Ryan Johnson yesterday on radio gave a great run down why Dahlen is not likely to play game 1. 

Dahlen still has to prove he is a responsible player to Trent Cull, and I don't dispute the argument that he needs games to prove that.  But Coach Cull has spent a whole season with a group of players who he has built trust with, and who have gone through the grind together compared to being exposed to Dahlen for a weekend.   They have a plan in place for everyone not just Dahlen to develop, and it might mean some players will sit and not see the ice in the playoffs.

Even Lukas Jasek despite his short time has had more opportunities to showcase and gain the trust of the coaching staff, which is why he likely sees ice before Dahlen and Lind. 

• Like 1

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Getting a goal and an assist in one game doesn't dictate whether he sits or not.  RJ basically watered down the hype saying that game that Dahlen got 2 points was good and a great way to start his pro career in North America, but then again this was the last game of the regular season, against a team who wasn't in the playoffs, who didn't dress a handful of their best players.  He also compared the type of intensity of the playoffs is far different from the last game of a regular season.

Like @Rush17 had pointed out, Ryan Johnson yesterday on radio gave a great run down why Dahlen is not likely to play game 1. 

Dahlen still has to prove he is a responsible player to Trent Cull, and I don't dispute the argument that he needs games to prove that.  But Coach Cull has spent a whole season with a group of players who he has built trust with, and who have gone through the grind together compared to being exposed to Dahlen for a weekend.   They have a plan in place for everyone not just Dahlen to develop, and it might mean some players will sit and not see the ice in the playoffs.

Even Lukas Jasek despite his short time has had more opportunities to showcase and gain the trust of the coaching staff, which is why he likely sees ice before Dahlen and Lind. 

I saw that, surprised, but Cull seems like a good coach, I'm sure he has valid reasons

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I saw that, surprised, but Cull seems like a good coach, I'm sure he has valid reasons

Im sure at some point we will see Dahlen, wouldn't even be surprised if its next game too.  I think media is getting their panties in a wad haha and panicking 

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Im sure at some point we will see Dahlen, wouldn't even be surprised if its next game too.  I think media is getting their panties in a wad haha and panicking 

Unfortunately the first round is a best of 5. Might not be alot of time to get him in if they drop another game

They needed an extra goal today and I think Dahlen could have provided it. I think Cull needs to watch some tape of Dahlens playoffs over in Sweden.