The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

9 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I wonder if this is a case of Green maximising the flaws rather than making the most of his skills. What ever Cull is doing he's getting the most out of Goldobin

The problem may be that all players who makes it to the NHL, even grinders and goons, were once offensive juggernauts in the lower levels.  

TG was one such player, but had to switch to a more 2-way grinding game to stay in the NHL.  Sometimes someone who has success being able to adapt their games may feel that everyone else can do the same, the whole "if I can do it, anyone can".  

Unfortunately not everyone is capable of it.  

As I stated previously with other players... not everybody is a 4x4 pickup truck or a V6 Camry that can be used in all situations.  Some players are exotic Italian sports cars, and thus it needs to be treated differently.  

You can race with a truck, but you certainly don't use a Maserati to haul cargo.  It's imperative to figure out who player fits under which category.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

The problem may be that all players who makes it to the NHL, even grinders and goons, were once offensive juggernauts in the lower levels.  

TG was one such player, but had to switch to a more 2-way grinding game to stay in the NHL.  Sometimes someone who has success being able to adapt their games may feel that everyone else can do the same, the whole "if I can do it, anyone can".  

Unfortunately not everyone is capable of it.  

As I stated previously with other players... not everybody is a 4x4 pickup truck or a V6 Camry that can be used in all situations.  Some players are exotic Italian sports cars, and thus it needs to be treated differently.  

You can race with a truck, but you certainly don't use a Maserati to haul cargo.  It's imperative to figure out who player fits under which category.  

On that analogy, I think if Sven's health could hold up he would be more of the all-situation machine than Goldie, but it's good to have a guy in case Brock got injured (plus is that he also has chemistry with Pete).

You don't simply put up > 2 PPG in the AHL and not be good enough for the NHL.

Of course, the point pace is unsustainable, but both Sven and Goldy's skills can be really utilized if we can put them in advantageous positions like what's going on in Utica. We need skill on the roster to sustain what we're doing right now. Marky and Demko aren't going to have a .940 save percentage all year long.

Having Petey, Brock, Horvat, Miller, Baertschi, Goldobin, Pearson as your skill guys probably makes you above average offensively especially with Hughes and Edler contributing on the backend. Take out any two of those guys, for example Baertschi and Goldobin, you're in a bit of a dilemma if you want to sustain what you're doing. I'm always going to advocate for skilled player who can produce over grinders like Schaller and even Motte, who is one of my all time favourites.

Cull is finally taking the reigns off the players and letting their skill shine. How long will this last...who knows, probably until they start losing some games. 

I think the big problem for Goldy is that much of the media and fans were largely judging him based on him not scoring goals. Everything in his game has shown he is a PLAYMAKER and not a pure sniper. 

Now he does have some parts of his games that aren't great and are cause for concern, these may also end up resulting in him being a career minor leaguer/KHL'er(eventually).

However, I would imagine it is really tough to play and gain confidence when you know your coach has an itchy trigger finger and any little mistake will result in you on the bench for the rest of the game and then as a healthy scratch for the following game. Sometimes you have to let your guys play through their mistakes. This was/should've been more of an option over the past 2-3 years. Now we have much more depth and Goldy's spot in Top 6 appears to have completely disappeared barring injury. 

Green is intresting.... I see Green as fiercely loyal to his players...  ( see Jake Virtanen ) the thing is with Green 

... he wants to put you into a position where you decide to succeed...  not put you in a position to fail.... Greens kinda into the TOUGH DAD LOVE with the guys. IMO Goldy is in Utica because Green wants him to play well on the big club... he wants him to get it!!.. If Green had started GOLDY in the big club he would have failed....being in UTICA is motivation... it's a sense your pro career could be over if you dont figure it out. IMO it's why he sends jake there so much when he diddnt have to clear wavers.... not as a punishment...... more of giving him a chance to succeed other than continually fail.

Edited by Snapshot85
  • Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

Green is intresting.... I see Green as fiercely loyal to his players...  ( see Jake Virtanen ) the thing is with Green 

... he wants to put you into a position where you decide to exceed...  not put you in a position to fail.... Greens kinda into the TOUGH DAD LOVE with the guys. IMO Goldy is in Utica because Green wants him to play well on the big club... he wants him to get it!!.. If Green had started GOLDY in the big club he would have failed....being in UTICA is motivation... it's a sense your pri career could be over if you dont figure it out. IMO it's why he sends jake there so much when he diddnt have to clear wavers.... not as a punishment...... more of giving him a chance to succeed other than continually fail.

What is wrong with tough Dad love? LOL

34 minutes ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

I think the big problem for Goldy is that much of the media and fans were largely judging him based on him not scoring goals. Everything in his game has shown he is a PLAYMAKER and not a pure sniper. 

I think there is more to it than that and hopefully Coach Cull can get through to him on the things he needs to work on and improve while he is in Utica.

He really needs to work on his shot and accuracy as he will need to be more than a play maker to thrive in the NHL.

His defensive part of the game needs a big time improvement and I noticed that Cull is starting to use him on the PK which is a great teaching tool.

The last part of his game is not something that can be taught; it has to come from within and that is a combination of both desire and sheer will to compete all out for each and every shift on the ice. If that requires him taking shorter shifts at the start because of conditioning, so be it. I would rather see him go all out for 30 seconds vs float for 50 or more.

He seems to be a very personable young man and I wish him all the best whether it is back in Vancouver at some point or on another team.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think there is more to it than that and hopefully Coach Cull can get through to him on the things he needs to work on and improve while he is in Utica.

He really needs to work on his shot and accuracy as he will need to be more than a play maker to thrive in the NHL.

His defensive part of the game needs a big time improvement and I noticed that Cull is starting to use him on the PK which is a great teaching tool.

The last part of his game is not something that can be taught; it has to come from within and that is a combination of both desire and sheer will to compete all out for each and every shift on the ice. If that requires him taking shorter shifts at the start because of conditioning, so be it. I would rather see him go all out for 30 seconds vs float for 50 or more.

He seems to be a very personable young man and I wish him all the best whether it is back in Vancouver at some point or on another team.

Does Goldy skate fast enough for the NHL though?  He's shifty, and handles the puck well, but he doesn't really play fast.  Maybe the AHL and the KHL are where he is best suited?  I'd certainly not be sorry if we traded him for a mid round pick.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Does Goldy skate fast enough for the NHL though?  He's shifty, and handles the puck well, but he doesn't really play fast.  Maybe the AHL and the KHL are where he is best suited?  I'd certainly not be sorry if we traded him for a mid round pick.  

I think he has decent wheels but does not use them very often. He certainly does not have blazing speed like Virtanen that is for sure.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think he has decent wheels but does not use them very often. He certainly does not have blazing speed like Virtanen that is for sure.

I wonder if Goldy is one of those guys who needs to slow down for the game to slow down for him?  I remember Green saying publicly last season he needed Goldy to play faster.  

• Upvote 2

Some players have difficulty transitioning their game from the AHL to the NHL. Goldobin is just one of many. I believe Gaunce racked up the points (38 in 60) in Utica (2018/19) as well. My hope is that another team makes an offer for him, or he continues to play in Utica until he learns how to play a 200-foot gritty game. 

17 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:
18 hours ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

Hence why I said: 

18 hours ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

Now he does have some parts of his games that aren't great and are cause for concern, these may also end up resulting in him being a career minor leaguer/KHL'er(eventually).

Goldy will most likely never succeed here because he pretty much is what he is at this stage and too many people including the coach have made up their mind on him. He will never be given enough leash to succeed by fans, media or the coach. 

But it really doesn’t matter at this point because the Canucks have pretty much moved past the idea of Goldobin being a top 6 player for them. 

Anyways that’s my opinion on the situation.

I’ll stand by what i said goldobin is a great complimentary player for ep. sure he doesn’t score as much as we like him to but it’s not really a coincident majority of his assist was with ep in the first half of the season. Since then ep have to create everything by himself and how many goals have he scored since the 2nd half to now? There’s simply no one on his line that can give him space. Other team just focus on EP just blanket him and not let him shoot or pass. Not too hard to see why ep is struggling in terms of goals. Let’s not kid ourselves 17 of our goals came in 3 games against team that finished well below us in the standing last year. We will only go as far as EP takes us offensively 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I’ll stand by what i said goldobin is a great complimentary player for ep. sure he doesn’t score as much as we like him to but it’s not really a coincident majority of his assist was with ep in the first half of the season. Since then ep have to create everything by himself and how many goals have he scored since the 2nd half to now? There’s simply no one on his line that can give him space. Other team just focus on EP just blanket him and not let him shoot or pass. Not too hard to see why ep is struggling in terms of goals. Let’s not kid ourselves 17 of our goals came in 3 games against team that finished well below us in the standing last year. We will only go as far as EP takes us offensively 

I agree, this team goes when EP40 goes. Petey is getting points, yes, but he hasn't shown that superstar calibre type of game since the first half of last season. Fact is, Peteys best games were with Goldobin on his line

• Upvote 1

A bit of a blurb on Goldobin and Baertschi:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/patrick-johnston-canucks-see-veteran-laden-comets-as-a-good-thing-for-the-kids

Baertschi has played 285 NHL games in his career; Goldobin has skated in 124. Both have been making an impact since moving back down to the AHL. They missed the season opener Oct. 5 while waiting for their U.S. work permits to be approved, but have feasted on the opposition in the four games since: Goldobin has nine points, Baertschi eight.

Goldobin’s efforts saw him named the AHL’s player-of-the-week.

Their professionalism has spoken volumes to their young teammates, Johnson believes.

• Like 1