The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

44 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I have no idea why Goldy was even qualified. 

I think it was worth giving him another pre-season to try to show his stuff. He did improve last year for sure, so it'd be weird to give up even though he was under performing. His pre-season was irritating to me though. He lost his job at the end of last year and I would've hoped he would play with more fire given that his NHL dreams are at stake.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think it was worth giving him another pre-season to try to show his stuff. He did improve last year for sure, so it'd be weird to give up even though he was under performing. His pre-season was irritating to me though. He lost his job at the end of last year and I would've hoped he would play with more fire given that his NHL dreams are at stake.

Van like him as a person (he is a nice young man by all accounts) and have of course his agent is very well respected.  So yeah giving him once last look seems pretty straightforward.  My ship for him sailed well over a year ago.  I just don't see how he makes this club, and I don't see him getting picked up.  Utica or the K.  Would love to see him succeed but  . . .

2 hours ago, samurai said:

I don't see him getting picked up. 

Seriously? I am fully aware of his inability so far to up his game but given his almost .5 ppg pace, his age and his remaining classy and professional despite lots of negativity I very much believe he would be picked up on waivers.

To be honest, I just sort of figured if he was waived we WOULD lose him. If he actually got back down to Utica I would be thrilled since I actually quite like him.

I would like to see a poll where we guess if he would be claimed or not.  Interested to see thoughts from CDC.

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

Seriously? I am fully aware of his inability so far to up his game but given his almost .5 ppg pace, his age and his remaining classy and professional despite lots of negativity I very much believe he would be picked up on waivers.

To be honest, I just sort of figured if he was waived we WOULD lose him. If he actually got back down to Utica I would be thrilled since I actually quite like him.

I would like to see a poll where we guess if he would be claimed or not.  Interested to see thoughts from CDC.

Seriously, yes.  The NHL is that competitive and Goldy on most nights impacts the game in no way.  

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

Yeah I can't see a team like Edmonton passing on him.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, samurai said:

Close only counts in horse shoes and grenades.  He is not good enough for the type of hockey he plays.  

Don't forget nuclear bombs... a close miss with a nuke probably still gets the job done :P 

chances are pretty big that goldy ends up with another team and fits in there perfectly. Top 2 lines are full and goldy is a top 2 line type of player so its hard to get to that position if ur not highly skilled and also fights for it hard enough. kinda sad to see him go since hes talented but aparently hes not the type of player or not developed the right way to fit in. 

1 minute ago, Mrwipeout said:

chances are pretty big that goldy ends up with another team and fits in there perfectly. Top 2 lines are full and goldy is a top 2 line type of player so its hard to get to that position if ur not highly skilled and also fights for it hard enough. kinda sad to see him go since hes talented but aparently hes not the type of player or not developed the right way to fit in. 

I’d be happy for Goldy if that happened.  He has NHL skills.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/27/2019 at 11:46 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Goldy is not going to make the team and will likely get waived (and likely clear). But here is the issue with Goldy.  In order for him to be good, he needs to play with other high skilled talent.  He is not an energy guy, he’s a slow the game down and create scoring chance guy (very poor man’s Sedin).  So I don’t really feel he was put in a great position to showcase himself this training camp.  He was put with hard working grinders and looked very much like a passenger and out of place, but the few shifts he was brought up and played alongside Petey or on the top PP unit, he looked like a contributor.  We saw much of the same last year. It’s disappointing since he has a skill set that this team is really lacking, outside of EP we don’t have this type of hockey sense.  

So while I really don’t think he was given a fair shot, I do think he will get waived and I’m really hoping a team doesn’t claim him.  If a team does and is willing to put him in a position to showcase his skillset he does have the potential to be a highly effective producer.   

Here is the bigger problem, the NHL is not a slow league.  Even slowing down means playing fast something that Goldy cannot do.   At the AHLhe will dominate.  Nucks hopefully are done with the this failed project.