The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Oveckin, Radulov, and Grigorenko accused of faking their age

Odd.

18 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I don't entirely understand the motivation here though.  Even if you get drafted earlier, the NHL has a max cap on entry level deals, so just getting drafted higher doesn't necessarily benefit you.

Or maybe I'm missing something?

It's a poorly phrased explanation of why lying about your age would be beneficial to your draft prospects.

20 to 21 year-old players have a significant advantage playing against teenagers in the CHL. It's why players like Dane Fox get signed as undrafted free agents instead of getting drafted. He only started putting up more than a point-per-game in the OHL after his 20 to 21 year-old season.

If Grigorenko was actually 20 or 21 during his draft year, it's far less impressive to scouts than if he was putting up those numbers as an 18 year old. That can make the difference between being drafted in the first round and not being drafted at all.

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

I don't entirely understand the motivation here though.  Even if you get drafted earlier, the NHL has a max cap on entry level deals, so just getting drafted higher doesn't necessarily benefit you.

Or maybe I'm missing something?

Well if ovi got. Drafted in 2003 and another team would have goten him, meaning the caps would have takn malkin in 2004 and so the pens would have gotten somebody else to. So with that there a good chance they would have not won the cup in 2008 and 2016

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

So if Ovi was a year older that would have made the 2003 even more stalked. 

Imagine if Pittsburgh drafted Ovi. 

They would have had Ovi + Crosby + Malkin all in one team

If Ovechkin was drafted in 2003 by the Penguins, then I don't think the Penguins would have gotten Malkin in 2004.

24 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Well if ovi got. Drafted in 2003 and another team would have goten him, meaning the caps would have takn malkin in 2004 and so the pens would have gotten somebody else to. So with that there a good chance they would have not won the cup in 2008 and 2016

That doesn't answer why Ovechkin would be motivated to lie about his age.

2 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

It's a poorly phrased explanation of why lying about your age would be beneficial to your draft prospects.

20 to 21 year-old players have a significant advantage playing against teenagers in the CHL. It's why players like Dane Fox get signed as undrafted free agents instead of getting drafted. He only started putting up more than a point-per-game in the OHL after his 20 to 21 year-old season.

If Grigorenko was actually 20 or 21 during his draft year, it's far less impressive to scouts than if he was putting up those numbers as an 18 year old. That can make the difference between being drafted in the first round and not being drafted at all.

That would make sense for possibly someone like Grigorenko, but a generational talent it would not really make an impact on.  LIke for example, McDavid was getting drafted 1st overall whether he was getting drafted in 2015, 2014 or even 2013.

The only benefit about lying for you age would be for the draft.  but it's not like it would have helped ovi score 7x 50 goal season.  It really wouldn't make sense for a player like Ovi to lie about his age

From a professional standpoint I wonder how much difference this really makes for Ovi and Radulov. Both these guys are excellent talents regardless as to how old they really are. Grigorenko not so much. 

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That would make sense for possibly someone like Grigorenko, but a generational talent it would not really make an impact on.  LIke for example, McDavid was getting drafted 1st overall whether he was getting drafted in 2015, 2014 or even 2013.

The only benefit about lying for you age would be for the draft.  but it's not like it would have helped ovi score 7x 50 goal season.  It really wouldn't make sense for a player like Ovi to lie about his age

Just to add to this... Having spoken to a few Russians, Ovechkin was born to a 2 time Olympic gold medalist (mother) and a former professional soccer player (father). Stuff like this is easier to pull of when you are in a small town and nobody really knows who you are. Ovechkin's birth was too high profile.

As far as OV claims of retiring early. If my girlfriend is a model whose father is a Russian billionaire, why would I continue to grind it out in the NHL in my 40s. If/when Ovechkin does retire, he will be treated almost like royalty in Russia. The man has money, fame, he is absolutely adored in Russia. If he has declined to a 50 point winger at that age or has injury issues I would think it would be time to hang them up. The only reason he might continue is that he doesn't have a Cup but winning or not winning the Cup still doesn't change his legacy as being arguably the greatest scorer of all time. The point though is that money is less of a factor for him anymore. He is rich himself and his fiance obviously brings a lot to the table as well.

2 hours ago, on the cycle said:

I call BS on this. Unless they fled from Russia, their birth certificates, passports, and Visas would have to be provided to the US or Canadian government and the NHL. I highly doubt that the league would let that slip by them.

righto

and russia would never do anything unethical in relation to sports either

the biggest concern about the age issue really is the end of career contract situation

if you sign a 5 year end of career contract when the team thinks you are 33 they are risking you can perform till 38 .. that is pretty hard to do and is a pretty big risk for the signing team

but almost no team will sign any player aged 35 to a 5 year contract

that is when the age lying thing becomes a bigger issue and likely if discovered would be a very strong basis to cancel that contract

you know what many do that fake their age and come here with others ID's and nobody is the wiser and they get away with it!!!

I know this from people who work at places where people work from many other countries and our government does nothing so they can retire early.

I was born here and think it is so disrespectful they should be sent back home anyone who fakes ages!

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Remember when OV and other Eastern Bloc players were supposedly buying HGH or something?

If it's online, it must be true!

The rumour about Grigorenko was emanating straight from Russia even before the Sabres drafted him.  I had no idea about Ovi and Radulov though.

Archived