The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You Know He'll Play: The Leadership of Trevor Linden

thejazz97

Nice article! Great read! 

The one thing I never question is that Linden has the team's best interest at heart. We have a team president who cares and bleeds green and blue. He put his legacy on the line to lead this organization. That says it all.

When times get tough in this transition, it's comforting to know we have a guy at the helm who wants to win a Cup as much as we do. 

thanks for the thread/post

i have read most of this elsewhere over the years

but nice to read it again

so

ownership of the canucks did not have to hire him

they chose to anyway

while he works for them

they had better treat him properly; with the dignity and class he has earned over the years of service

service to the team, the nhl, and the community

he is the perfect buffer between ownership and the rest of management

he has sufficient integrity, personal power and integrity to stand up to ownership whims

and if he departs the canucks it better be on his terms

and with sufficient class and respect when that time comes

he is not disposible

if he is simply disposed of

long time canuck fans will notice

and become very critical

Personally I'm tired of losing with a team full of classy gentlemen. I'd still be happy as hell to see a cup victory for the Canucks even if it was with a team of douchebags.

That being said, Linden was a unique combination of class, toughness, talent, grit, and true leadership. He was a player who led by example and could put the team on his back when needed and I'd love to see him win a championship here as president some day. If we could have half a team with Linden's characteristics we'd see the Canucks win multiple cups.

If there was ever 1 player in my opinion who "deserved" to win a cup, it was him.

I remember those games, 20+ years ago. Great inspiration. THE best Canuck team ever, coached by the best Canuck coach and GM ever.

But it is today and he has a different job. His time as a Canuck iconic player has warranted some patience and he has received more than other exec's doing as poorly, both Nonis and Gillis were canned for missing the playoffs a single year.

13 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

oh yea. way better than 22 and 33 but so was 10.

There are many on CDC that think that 22 and 33 are the best Canucks ever. The team in the 90's had so much character and players such as Linden and Ronning playing with broken ribs and broken wrists use all kinds of excuses why we lost in 2011 including various injuries.

The "never give up" attitude and the "mental toughness" of the 94' team was very evident compared to 2011 but still there are those that compare both era's as equal.

I am hoping the "European" leadership has finally ended and we can rebuild a team filled with character and drive similar to 94'.

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 9:01 AM, EdgarM said:

There are many on CDC that think that 22 and 33 are the best Canucks ever. The team in the 90's had so much character and players such as Linden and Ronning playing with broken ribs and broken wrists use all kinds of excuses why we lost in 2011 including various injuries.

The "never give up" attitude and the "mental toughness" of the 94' team was very evident compared to 2011 but still there are those that compare both era's as equal.

I am hoping the "European" leadership has finally ended and we can rebuild a team filled with character and drive similar to 94'.

Yea I mean 22 and 33 are/were fantastic players but 16 was a real leader. I think it's more of a generational thing but could be wrong. There's no comparing 2011 and 1994.

You were so proud of the 1994 team. 2011 was so embarrassing.

Bure on the other hand was head and shoulders the most skilled player to ever play for the Canucks and he had bite. Linden was still my favorite.

Very well written, a good read.

I remember 94 well and it was heartbreaking to lose but the class and character of those guys made it bearable. It's one reason I haven't got bent out of shape about the team not being in a hurry to unload the Sedins. I realize it's a business and you have to maximize your assets but sometimes there is more to it than stats. The leadership and other intangibles they have and the work ethic they can pass onto the kids is worth keeping them around. Not to mention that having respect for your players sends a valuable message to others around the league that Vancouver is a place worth playing. That type of culture can payoff in the future.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:44 PM, MJDDawg said:

Well done Jazz.

This should be required reading (along with Robson's call) for all noob so-called fans who only joined the party in the lead-up to the 2011 run and who are calling for Trev's head as well.

Only then will they understand what Trev means to this team, city and province.

ps. Robson's call here (still get goosebumps):

Goosebumps and tears. So many fans have no idea of what that kid did for the Canucks. It is why I get so angry when Naslund is equated with Linden. Not even close.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Goosebumps and tears. So many fans have no idea of what that kid did for the Canucks. It is why I get so angry when Naslund is equated with Linden. Not even close.

All people have to do is watch highlights from Linden and Naslund's final game as Canucks to know who the true fan favourite was. Is it fair to Naslund that he went out that way? Maybe not, but it's going to take someone special to uproot Trevor from the hearts of fans.

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

All people have to do is watch highlights from Linden and Naslund's final game as Canucks to know who the true fan favourite was. Is it fair to Naslund that he went out that way? Maybe not, but it's going to take someone special to uproot Trevor from the hearts of fans.

I will always remember Iginla for his gesture in Linden's last game and his assist on Crosby's goal in 2010.

Archived