The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You Know He'll Play: The Leadership of Trevor Linden

thejazz97

Hey guys! This is blog article I wrote, and I thought you guys would enjoy it.

“You can’t imagine what it’s like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn’t hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational.”

In a 2008 article with NHL.com, teammate Cliff Ronning summed up Trevor Linden’s leadership on the Vancouver Canucks’ 1994 Stanley Cup run perfectly: a leader who was willing to sacrifice personal comfort and health for the good of his followers’ play and morale. His perseverance in those games served as inspiration for his teammates in the series that they would ultimately and heartbreakingly lose: “I broke my hand in that game,” Ronning recalled. “But how do I say I can’t play when there’s a guy who has played four games with broken ribs and torn cartilage and he’s dropping his shoulder into guys to make plays?”

While Linden, the 2nd overall pick in 1988 NHL Draft, is renowned for his leadership as a Captain with the Canucks and New York Islanders, an Alternate Captain with the Montreal Canadiens, and President of the NHL Players’ Association, he also devotes and donates significant time and resources with charities and foundations in the Vancouver community. Linden has since been appointed to the Order of British Columbia and the Order of Canada for his ongoing sportsmanship and community engagement as a respected leader both on and off the ice.

Linden may have huge influence in one of the largest cities in Canada today, but he comes from small beginnings, being born in Medicine Hat, Alberta on April 11, 1970. And while he would later go on to be mentored by Canuck legends such as Pat Quinn or Stan Smyl, he’s been set up well for a leadership position since he was a child. According to his father, Lane, in a 2005 ESPN article, “[as] a young kid he was so responsible and so mature. If he said he would do it, it was done”. The article continues on by relating the story of how Linden decided to stick to his roots by shunning a scholarship to Princeton University to play for the Medicine Hat Tigers. He would go on to lead the Tigers to two Memorial Cups (1987, 1988) as well as winning the gold medal for Canada at the World Juniors Championship (1988), all while taking summer classes for high school. He would be drafted to the Canucks in June of 1988, ending his extremely successful junior career in Medicine Hat.

Trevor Linden embodies authentic leadership – while he was a leader on the ice, he was also a leader off it. Under coach Pat Quinn, the Canucks started getting more involved in the community, especially with kids. This is something that they still practice regularly today. In a 2008 Globe and Mail article, anecdotes chronicle Trevor’s dedication to the community went beyond the required effort. “He didn’t just go with his teammates when they made their annual Christmastime appearance at the Canuck Place hospice for kids. He’d go on his own, week after week, month after month, year after year, without a camera in sight.” Integrity and enthusiasm are some of the most important traits a leader can have, and Linden certainly didn’t lack in either. While he credits his brother, Dean Linden, for inspiring him to use his position for good, Trevor doesn’t do what he does begrudgingly. “Some of the visits were tough, especially early in my career. Sometimes you don’t get much out of the kids, but you talk to the parents the next day and you hear what an impact the visit had.” As the Canucks’ President of Hockey Operations, since 2014, his tenure has continued programs that the Canucks encourage, including the Trevor Linden Community Spirit Scholarship, which goes to a young British Columbian who makes a difference in their community. Linden also heads the Trevor Linden Foundation, which supports children and families facing life-threatening illnesses… charities in BC, Montreal and New York have benefited from the generosity and commitment of Trevor and the many hockey fans, sponsors and businesses who have donated to their programs.

The effects of Trevor’s leadership have not gone unnoticed. While playing in the NHL, Linden won the King Clancy Memorial Trophy in 1997, given to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community as well as the NHL Foundation Player Award in 2008, the year Linden retired – given to the player who applies the core values of (ice) hockey—commitment, perseverance and teamwork—to enrich the lives of people in his community. Outside of the arena of hockey, Linden has been awarded by both the provincial and federal governments, being appointed to the Order of British Columbia in 2003 as well as the Order of Canada seven years later in 2010 – both for his efforts in the sports world and the local community.

In a CBC article from 2008, one child was greatly impacted by the Canuck captain:

Four days before he died, Michael Robinson had one of the best experiences of his short life. The 14-year-old cancer patient was Trevor Linden’s caddy at a 1997 charity golf tournament. The hockey star had recruited him for the job six months earlier. “I honestly believe the reason Michael lasted in this world as long as he did was because he had Trevor by his side,” Michael’s sister [said.]

The heart that Trevor Linden poured out into the community and into Michael Robinson’s life was the same heart he poured out for his team in the Stanley Cup Finals in 1994. After taking a couple injuring hits in Game 6, Linden skated to the bench and caused play-by-play announcer Jim Robson to exclaim the inspiring words:

“Linden has been chopped down, he’s crawling towards the bench. Linden has been injured. Now he’s hit again by Messier going to the bench. Messier hit Linden when he was down on his knees. It could get a bit ugly in the late stages. Linden has struggled to the bench. But there is going to be that seventh game, we’ll hope they can patch Linden up and get him in that one. He will play, you know he’ll play! He’ll play on crutches! And he will play at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday night. The game is over!”

Linden’s perseverance and self-sacrifice on the ice was evident that series, and it’s been evident from his actions in the community as well. He is someone who has been and still is respected by his mentors, peers, employees, and even his toughest rivals. His work for the community speaks for itself. Everything that he touches, he makes sure it has a positive impact on the community. As Linden said himself in a Global News interview:

“Leadership is not always about the person who stands up and gives the speech. At the end of the day, actions speak louder than words. It’s the leadership quality that’s important, whether on the ice or in the boardroom.”

4rijdsr

Nicely written! I enjoyed the read. As someone who only saw the tail end of Linden's career, it's always good to hear about the times I missed. Like Burrows, he truly epitomized what it meant to be a Canuck.

I am mixed on Ronning playing game 7.  Yes it's heroic to play with a broken wrist, at the same time if you can't even shoot the puck there comes a point when the next guy up might of been a better option. 

Trevor Linden is just a god.  That's why he was my favorite player and that's why you still see BC boys giving him props today.  I believe one of the Blackhawks cup runs had 4 players listing Linden as their favorite player growing up. 

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

5 stars jazz.

Perfect person to lead this team's transition - and has done a great job thus far.

Trevor Linden has full-on Canucks god status in my books. It was sacrilegious to trade him away and it makes my skin crawl to watch media hacks try to maneuver him into saying "rebuild". Do they think they are actually getting one over on him by forcing him to use their terms? So childish.

Trevor Linden is all the things that are great about the Vancouver Canucks.

I'd take Linden and a game 7 loss over that bhogus potato chip peddler that floated and cheapshotted his way to a Cup anyday.  'Leadership' award = pfft.

Same with the 2011 team vs Colin Campbell, his zebras, Dr Recchi, Marshrat and Clod.

Some things are greater than mere results. 

Linden is one of those people.

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Maybe just my heart talking after reading an emotional article,  but I'd rather lose with guys like Linden,  Ronning, and Quinn than win with scum like Messier,  Marchand, Keenan, etc.. 

Don't know if I'd turn down Mess' 6 cups, but I definitely hear you. Those Canucks alum are pure class while those other individuals are,  well.....

18 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Maybe just my heart talking after reading an emotional article,  but I'd rather lose with guys like Linden,  Ronning, and Quinn than win with scum like Messier,  Marchand, Keenan, etc.. 

Seriously though! I've been criticized on CDC before for valuing character over everything. Yes, it would be great to have a powerhouse team winning cups every year but I could never support it if it came on the backs of trashy guys. There's so much more to this than just the game. I love our team not only for how they play, but for who they are as well. 

Still can't figure out how people cheer for goon squads like the Hawks, Bruins, and Kings in good faith. 

Well done Jazz.

This should be required reading (along with Robson's call) for all noob so-called fans who only joined the party in the lead-up to the 2011 run and who are calling for Trev's head as well.

Only then will they understand what Trev means to this team, city and province.

ps. Robson's call here (still get goosebumps):

15 minutes ago, PlanB said:

Don't know if I'd turn down Mess' 6 cups, but I definitely hear you. Those Canucks alum are pure class while those other individuals are,  well.....

Messier was perhaps the best player in the game - in 1989 - at least I considered him to be - but unfortunately, the high level of respect I had for him as a young, two way player was more than erased by the 'character' he showed through the rest of his career.

Hey, easier to attain than it is to sustain, but no doubt about it - he attained it.

If he weren't such a massive disappointment and detriment to this franchise, I might not feel so strongly about it, but the worst moment in franchise history was the day the C was taken from Trevor Linden.

The bloody evident curse hanging over this franchise = would not surprise me if it stems from that colossal sacriliege.

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Messier was perhaps the best player in the game - in 1989 - at least I considered him to be - but unfortunately, the high level of respect I had for him as a young, two way player was more than erased by the 'character' he showed through the rest of his career.

Hey, easier to attain than it is to sustain, but no doubt about it - he attained it.

If he weren't such a massive disappointment and detriment to this franchise, I might not feel so strongly about it, but the worst moment in franchise history was the day the C was taken from Trevor Linden.

The bloody evident curse hanging over this franchise = would not surprise me if it stems from that colossal sacriliege.

Some things are a black eye to the franchise. That  was like 2 black eyes and a broken nose to boot.

Archived