The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

He could very well step right in, he certainly appears skilled enough.

But let's not forget that even the mighty Nylander spent some time in the AHL. Pettersson too may require some time there to adjust. 

Well find out soon enough. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Id disagree, it will be beneficial for him to start in Utica to play centre and gain his confidence there before making the jump to the NHL. taking into account the fact that he won't necessarily be strong enough either adds good reason for him to be in Utica training and practicing so that he's able to step right in. A Nylander type development timeline is probably very applicable in this setting.

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Man..I'm plussin' BOTH views & flippin coins on this call. We can expect the kid himself will have things to say about it!

At the end of the day it's up to him. If he shows well in camp next year, I'd open a slot for him. If he looks like he's being overpowered, let him develop in Utica for a season.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

But let's not forget that even the mighty Nylander spent some time in the AHL. Pettersson too may require some time there to adjust. 

to me an ideal situation would be him finishing this year in Sweden, getting stronger this summer, if you want to call that "weight" fine, playing next year in Utica with Dahlen, another summer of getting stronger, and then maybe just maybe seeing some time between the AHL and Canucks. Pretty much as you say the Nylander path. You know, the one Jake Virtanen didn't have access to.... 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Man..I'm plussin' BOTH views & flippin coins on this call. We can expect the kid himself will have things to say about it!

Yip exactly...patience grasshoppers... time will tell.

you-get-a-plus-11-you-get-a-plus-11-you-get-a-plus-11-evrybody-gets-a-plus-11.jpg

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Really good point. We also don't know if they [management] are going to have him immediately start at C or work from the wing when he gets over here. Persaonlly I think it's obvious he will take more time in Utica if they ultimately want him to play centre from the get go. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

to me an ideal situation would be him finishing this year in Sweden, getting stronger this summer, if you want to call that "weight" fine, playing next year in Utica with Dahlen, another summer of getting stronger, and then maybe just maybe seeing some time between the AHL and Canucks. Pretty much as you say the Nylander path. You know, the one Jake Virtanen didn't have access to.... 

I don't know if it will take that long. I could see him start next year in Utica and then get called up at the TDL after we move out more guys. Then start up here the following fall.

May still be on wing at that point though. And that's probably fine as I could see Gaudette start here next here and we'd have Horvat, Sutter, Gaudette, Granlund/Gagner/Gaunce etc as our available C depth.

• Cheers 1

Just now, aGENT said:

I don't know if it will take that long. I could see him start next year in Utica and then get called up at the TDL after we move out more guys. Then start up here the following fall.

May still be on wing at that point though. And that's probably fine as I could see Gaudette start here next here and we'd have Horvat, Sutter, Gaudette, Granlund/Gagner/Gaunce etc as our available C depth.

could be, I guess we'll see how he adjusts to smaller ice and bigger competition, no way to know until it happens. I'd actually like to see Gaunce spend more time in Utica this year tho. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

It still blows me away some complained about this pick. 

I called this pick before the end of last season. This kid is unreal.

G stylz........

Jesus....man the moves... Sitting laughing out loud with joy over the future. He is unreal...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Um, with hands like that, if he'd been 190 pounds at draft like Auston matthews, he'd be consensus #1.

As for ectomorph vs endomorph frames, tall ectomorphs take time to fill out. 

I am a 5'7 endomorph, before i became a fat & pudgy mid 30s guy, i attained my sporting muscle mass at age of 17...always hovering around the 150-160 lbs mark.  My friend who is 6'4 ectomorph, was a beanpole-ish 160 pound 6'4 dude at 19, ended up filling out to 190 lbs by the time he was 24-25. 

With his height, i  can see Elias topping out in the 180-190 zone if trained properly. 
Yes, his older brother's weight is a big red flag, but Elias will have top of the line fitness coaches looking to specifically increase his mass, his brother, who was a 6th round draft pick who never came to North America till this season, had far less help. 

At the end of the day, any fitness coach will tell you, if you are in the 188-190cm zone (6'2-6'3) and don't attain atleast 180 lbs weight, you are doing it wrong/not trying hard enough. 

Elias will never be the guy who's gonna have a defenceman hanging on to him while he scores a goal, not unless he has exceptional puck possession like Henrik or Daniel Sedin do. 

And he doesn't need that kind of power either. If he has good enough edge work (which he does) and elite hands (which he also does), he is going to be the 'weave and bob through defensemen' kind of player.

Which should provide a VERY GOOD 1-2 punch for the Canucks down the road if he does 'stick at centre'. 
Horvat is going to be an elite/top end ectomorph centreman with bulk & speed, who 'busts his way into the middle of the ice and creates his own lane'. Elias is going to be a 'weave and bobble till he finds a lane' kind of guy. Thats basically covering two very distinct (and valid) styles of elite top end play and will make us hard to be be defended against. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, cory40 said:

He will be fine at 170 RNH isn't much bigger and not as skilled. He makes the nucks next year because they need him and his maturity will outweigh him. 

RNH is 21 lbs heavier now. If Pettersson can add the weight RNH has then he will be fine to play centre. If not, we will still have an elite winger.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Position: C •  Shoots: Left

6-0191lb (183cm, 86kg)

Team: Edmonton Oilers

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Ten years ago, sure, now, I don't have an issue with his weight, it's a more skilled and speed based league now, if Keller and Hischier are doing well weighing in at 168 and 175 respectively, don't think his weight is gonna be an issue

image.png.161b4ee45e1cb0a86bc82482f01419cb.png

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

No one's putting pressure on the kid, he's just that good. If he comes in and struggles, no biggie, send him down until he's comfortable.

Ten years ago, sure, now, I don't have an issue with his weight, it's a more skilled and speed based league now, if Keller and Hischier are doing well weighing in at 168 and 175 respectively, don't think his weight is gonna be an issue as long as he comes in around 175lbs next season.

Also, we won't have Willie benching him after he scores his first goal or keeping him off the pp because 'he doesn't know the systems yet' .. ;)

I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS KID :towel:

Couldn't have said it better myself :P

• Cheers 2

On 11/20/2017 at 12:09 AM, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Imagine the PP with Pettersson and Boeser.  You have Boeser on 1 side and Elias on the other just ready to pounce on a 1 timer!  Pettersson will have the ability to thread the needle or fire the puck home on a 1 timer, unlike Henrik who we all wish would fire the puck from time to time.

If Henrik could shoot like Pettersson, I think we have at least 2 cups by now. 

The Sedins are special players; they could keep the puck as long as they want as to slowly break down the opposition's defensive structure, which often led to near open net chances so that they can pass the puck to the open net. I can't think of anyone else being able to do that. But Henrik's inability to shoot the puck led them to pass up on a lot of grade A scoring chances, which led to lesser production than what they could have achieved.

I think with Pettersson, we have a player that can shoot (like Daniel pre-Keith elbow but better) and a player that can see the ice and make the passes (like Henrik). 

The PP is gong to be unreal with Boeser and Pettersson on opposite ends. The 5-on-5 will also be unreal with Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser or even with Pettersson-Horvat as top two centers.

We just need a top 2 D prospect, then we will contend for the years to come.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1