The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

If EP is ready to play center right away, it stabilizes our team nicely having a C core of Bo, EP, Sutter and Beagle.

That would be the ideal situation but I think it may take him 20 games or so to adjust to the smaller ice surface, the overall speed of the game and getting familiar with both new systems and line mates. I am confident he will do all of this but just not sure of the timeline that it will take him. You are right that once he is comfortable in the position the depth at center will be much improved and even with injuries Adam Gaudette will be waiting in the wings.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

That would be the ideal situation but I think it may take him 20 games or so to adjust to the smaller ice surface, the overall speed of the game and getting familiar with both new systems and line mates. I am confident he will do all of this but just not sure of the timeline that it will take him. You are right that once he is comfortable in the position the depth at center will be much improved and even with injuries Adam Gaudette will be waiting in the wings.

With three shutdown centers in Horvat, Sutter, and Beagle hopefully they can give Pettersson favorable matchups and mostly O zone starts until he gets his feet wet. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

Baer - Pettersson - Eriksson

Rousell - Sutter - Virtanen

Leipsic - Beagle - Schaller

Makes sense to start

Unless LE has an epiphany in the offseason it's probably best to keep that anchor as far away from EP40 as possible.  I'd swap JV with LE and add Gaudette in lieu of Dr. Schaller(who's injured iirc)

46 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I have high expectations for EP...but I also expect him to start slow...maybe even painfully slow...he might look lost in preseason and a step behind for the first 5-15 games of the season....after that, the sky really is the limit.

I hope to see him at center as soon as he gets comfy....

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Unless LE has an epiphany in the offseason it's probably best to keep that anchor as far away from EP40 as possible.  I'd swap JV with LE and add Gaudette in lieu of Dr. Schaller(who's injured iirc)

Being a swedish veteran it makes sense to start at least, once he start missing all the chances EP40 sets him up for, then he gets replaced with probably Virtanen. 

9 hours ago, 70seven said:

Roussel Beagle Virtanen

Leipsic Gagner Schaller

Strangely I really like these bottom 6 lines.  So much either top 6 or bust talk with Leipsic? From many sources, not you. That 3rd line looks like a line Jake should be on! 

But Leipsic displayed has all the energy, maybe not the endurance to be a great traditional  energy line player. One who scores, gets under peoples skin, seeks out a hit or puck check and makes the bottom of our line up productive. Schaller should give him some confidence. Someone else with speed on the line. Gagner, a guy to throw the puck around with. It looks like a very good 4th line? 

59 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I have high expectations for EP...but I also expect him to start slow...maybe even painfully slow...he might look lost in preseason and a step behind for the first 5-15 games of the season....after that, the sky really is the limit.

I hope to see him at center as soon as he gets comfy....

Remember too that early season checking is not so tight, so things will be more open as players adjust to the new season.

• Cheers 1

On 8/27/2018 at 10:58 AM, Me_ said:

A Detroit fan's perspective on Elias Pettersson.

Interesting.

Is it so farfetched to expect EP to score 80+ points if he plays with Horvat and Boeser?

Also, with Barzal setting the bar so high last season, who is (going to be) better? EP or Barzal? Barzal looks like 90 point player with potential to reach 100 points.

• Upvote 2

Pettersson playing center immediately seemed like a 100% no-go for me before. But with the addition of Beagle and Sutter continuing to be the defensive go-to guy it's very likely he could start at center right away and do pretty good for himself. Barzal did pretty okay I'd say, he only won like 42% of his faceoff draws too. If Pettersson can play center immediately it'll bode extremely well for our forward core this season. Right now Gagner looks to be the next best 2nd line center option. That's gonna be a yikes for me dawg. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Pettersson playing center immediately seemed like a 100% no-go for me before. But with the addition of Beagle and Sutter continuing to be the defensive go-to guy it's very likely he could start at center right away and do pretty good for himself. Barzal did pretty okay I'd say, he only won like 42% of his faceoff draws too. If Pettersson can play center immediately it'll bode extremely well for our forward core this season. Right now Gagner looks to be the next best 2nd line center option. That's gonna be a yikes for me dawg. 

I am betting that Travis starts Elias as 2nd line RW  with Sam at center and Loui playing LW. Depending on how Elias progresses he will probably be playing #2 C after Christmas barring injury etc. He will likely get lots of PP time along with Boeser and our PP should be one of the most prolific in the league this year.

Goldobin    Horvat     Boeser

Baertschi.   Pettersson    Virtanen

Ericksson    Sutter     Granlund

Roussel     Beagle    Schaller

Leipsic   Gaunce

Put Baertschi with Pettersson to give him a veteran scorer, and Virtanen to give other teams something else to think about other than just running Pettersson - with Virtanen out there they will have to have their own heads on a swivel.  Goldobin with Horvat because he looked good there at the end of last year.  Took Erickson away from any offensive player because he’s a guy where offence goes to die.  With the three new vets and Sutter we will have two lines we can give O zone starts to, and two lines we can give D zone starts to.  If any of the above struggle or are injured  - Leipsic/Gaunce.  Waive Gagme down to Utica - he has done nothing to deserve to play in Vancouver, and if Erickson struggles, he can go down too and bring up the best of Dahlen, Jasek, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Palma, or McEwan.  At this stage it is important to show that only performance keeps your job in Vancouver, not how much you are paid.  

On D:

Edler   Stetcher

Del Zotto   Tanev

Hutton   Gudbranson

Pouliot

When Tanev and Gudbranson inevitably get hurt and each miss half a season, it will create room for whoever is up to it - Juolevi, McEneny, or Sautner.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

Boeser Petterson Virtanen

Leipsic Horvat Baertschi

Roussel Sutter Goldobin

Eriksson Beagle Gaudette

Extras: Schaller Gagner Granlund Gaunce

Pettersson won't bump Horvat. Boeser is a RW. Baertschi is  LW. Goldobin is  LW.  Weird...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, khay said:

Interesting.

Is it so farfetched to expect EP to score 80+ points if he plays with Horvat and Boeser?

Also, with Barzal setting the bar so high last season, who is (going to be) better? EP or Barzal? Barzal looks like 90 point player with potential to reach 100 points.

Barzal is awesome and set the bar high. If this wasn't EP's first year on North American ice he would better Barzal. But going forward Elias will be a better point producer. Canucks just like the leafs lucked out getting Matthews The Vancouver Canucks lucked out getting Elias and it fast tracked their rebuild and we will see that this year. Expect Elias to exceed your expectations, I have never seen a player with as many high lite reel plays as Elias has done in one single year. And its even more rare that he did that against men.

Edited by cory40

It great to see the exuberance of so many fans about how many goals / points Elias will get but we should try and curb those expectations a bit. He is, after all, a rookie and one with a slight build at that. I would rather err on the conservative side of what he might be capable of doing this season and be elated at him perhaps surpassing my expectations rather than feeling let down if he fails to live up to them. I personally think he might get off to a slow start but by the New year will be showing regular glimpses of what we all hope him to be 

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Pettersson won't bump Horvat. Boeser is a RW. Baertschi is  LW. Goldobin is  LW.  Weird...

Pettersson will bump Horvat its just a matter of time. For the start of the season though he won't. I agree not knowing what wing those guys play is weird,.