The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Something I noticed about Petterson in this game is that he can be easily bumped off the puck. But, he has tenacity and hunts for the puck when he loses it. Also, he is very good defensively. I do expect Petterson to be in Canucks uniform this season for his wrist shot alone because it is quite lethal. 

HOWEVER, I do expect Petterson to get 30-45 points this season but will get his points in the later half of the season. I fully expect a learning curve for Petterson as he will struggle for the first 20-25 games of the season where he will probably get 1-5 points in those first 20-25 games but will get to the 30-45 point range once he gets accustomed. 

So Canucks fans should temper their expectation in the first 20-25 games of the season...

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Something I noticed about Petterson in this game is that he can be easily bumped off the puck. But, he has tenacity and hunts for the puck when he loses it. Also, he is very good defensively. I do expect Petterson to be in Canucks uniform this season for his wrist shot alone because it is quite lethal. 

HOWEVER, I do expect Petterson to get 30-45 points this season but will get his points in the later half of the season. I fully expect a learning curve for Petterson as he will struggle for the first 20-25 games of the season where he will probably get 1-5 points in those first 20-25 games but will get to the 30-45 point range once he gets accustomed. 

So Canucks fans should temper their expectation in the first 20-25 games of the season...

Im sorry but Barzal got 85 points. Saying EP should temper to 30 points is ludicrous. Even boeser who is a lesser prospect at the time than EP Is today, lit up the nhl. EP getting 60 is totally realistic and the sky is the limit. Why does everybody always buzz kill when one of our players comes in? People said Boeserneeded the ahl, horvat needed some ahl time, that stecher was too small etc... 

EP is making the team and will be our best player in due time. Get over it.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

I'm basically of the same mindset that you are, although I think you're a tad conservative on his point total. I see him getting around 50 points, but struggling out of the gate with something like 10-12 points in his first 25 games. There absolutely will be a transitional period and the sooner the fans accept that the better.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

2 hours ago, runtzguy said:

:bored:

I remember guys commenting how Gretzky was running on luck. Could not handle the physicality?

All EP did, without finding his comfort zone, was toy with Winnipeg. Mopped up one goal on his team mates effort. Rifled a goal Ovechkin or Stamkos would grin at. In fact he disguised it. Goalies and D don't know when its coming. Equally calmly control the puck, drill and sauce passes, one for an apple.

Just wait till EP finds the elusiveness he had in the SHL....

EP had one play in the third period where he held the line, puck handled through 3 Jets, then fired an elusive wrist shot that just missed. It could easily have been his hat trick. 

Also noticed he he is often joking with his teammates (mostly Dahlen and Juolevi) between whistles. He seems very calm and composed, and enjoys the game.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

EP had one play in the third period where he held the line, puck handled through 3 Jets, then fired an elusive wrist shot that just missed. It could easily have been his hat trick. 

Also noticed he he is often joking with his teammates (mostly Dahlen and Juolevi) between whistles. He seems very calm and composed, and enjoys the game.

Yeah, at least a couple times in the third he did the hold-the-puck-and-dangle-the-zone thing that few players can do, getting into great position to shoot or make a play.  Boeser and Hughes are two others, perhaps Dahlen to some extent.  Very confident, but no signs of arrogance nor frustration either, like nothing really phases him.  Pretty clear that he loves hockey and it just comes naturally to him.  We are likely going to be astounded at some of the things he pulls off in the future.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, cory40 said:

It was on his mind. But he also looked really nervous tonight. His skillset is off the charts as good or better than any we have seen in Penticton since it started. Elias will get lots of points because he see's the ice so well. He made 4 or 5 passes to players on the ice that you would never look for. One was a behind the back through his legs drop pass to a team mate (that was caught off guard also) because it created so much open space. 

Ya i herd the call on that pass and figured it was similar to what Quinn hughes experienced. Nobody expects their passes. Those will connect when they develope chemistry with linemates over time 

Edited by cuporbust

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

:bored:

I remember guys commenting how Gretzky was running on luck. Could not handle the physicality?

All EP did, without finding his comfort zone, was toy with Winnipeg. Mopped up one goal on his team mates effort. Rifled a goal Ovechkin or Stamkos would grin at. In fact he disguised it. Goalies and D don't know when its coming. Equally calmly control the puck, drill and sauce passes, one for an apple.

Just wait till EP finds the elusiveness he had in the SHL....

Let's keep in mind that the Jets prospects weren't exactly the cream of the crop.  There's probably only a cpl plays who will ever even get a sniff at the NHL

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think it's safe to say he's not an NHL calibre cman.

Not yet, I hope he can learn that position as he matures.  Not sure if he won a faceoff last night, none of the ones I saw him at for sure, but I might have missed a few.  He's got the mobility, vision and speed to play center, but the faceoff piece needs work.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think it's safe to say he's not an NHL calibre cman.

Oh stawns. It's way too early to make that kind of a bold statement. However, he will need some time on the wing before he makes the transition. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3