The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not a fan of going back to a year and a half ago and highlighting people's emotional kneejerk reactions to a pick in an a very transparent attempt to undermine all future opinions of said person.

That’s how little men make themselves feel big.....until they look down.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, khay said:

I agree. I didn't realize that before but Crosby and Forsberg share quite a bit of similarities. Forsberg put up 1.26PPG, Crosby currently at 1.29PPG. 

I actually feel that Zetterberg can play a bit of power game like Forsberg. And I think Datsyuk was much more magical with stick than EP and he was just plain out quick whereas EP is more of an elusive type. EP doesn't look quick and the defenders may feel like they can lay a body on him, but then he evades them somehow and makes passes that don't seem very possible.

Among the NHL greats, the one player that I can think of whose style matches EP is Gretzky. Not saying he will be as great as the great one but the way Gretzky evades defenders, circling around them with fine stickhandling, making unexpected passes, and putting the puck into empty spaces so that he can go and retrieve it. Like that moment when EP passed to himself during one of the preseason games, that was really Gretzky like.

McDavid is more like Bure. I think if McDavid wants to focus more on goal scoring, then I think he will be able to win the Rocket Richard every year. Probably can hit 60 goals. Right now, McDavid looks like he wants to make plays than to score on his own.

Comparing Elias to the Great one is far fetched but stylistically, I agree. EP just puts blindpasses to an open area of the ice and you see Goldy or Ericsson reacting but a step back which shows EP clearly knows where the play is going to go. EP , in my opinion is like you said, is very similar to Datsuk, although Pavel has has more wheels but Elias has a much more lethal shot

9 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Small sample size, but Elias Pettersson has 6 points in 3 games, with 3 of those being goals. His talent has contributed to the Canucks' potent powerplay, with 4 of his 6 points coming off the powerplay. He is also winning 55.17% of his draws. Looking good so far for the young rookie, but again small sample size.

Apart from Nik Goldobin and Loui Eriksson benefiting from Pettersson, the next player who has benefitted the most is Alexander Edler. Edler has 4 points in 3 games, with 3 of those points from his role as powerplay quarterback. 

Again, small sample size. 

Actually 3 points were power play and 3 were 5 on 5.  Canucks have 4 power play goals, only one of which Pettersson has not gotten a point.

8 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

People who get their jollies posting obnoxiously negative ignorant crap about members of the Canucks organization here really don't like having a spotlight pointed at their nonsense. Personally, I enjoy it when Zepp or Oldnews point out facts that the trolls and haters don't want to think about.

100% people love to critique/call out the management to try and make themselves look smarter. They sure hate when they get it back. The risks you take posting your opinions online, especially if you try and look smarter than others :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You might have more of a point if there wasn't a pretty obvious and consistent pattern.... 

Not my cup of tea personally, but I don't begrudge those who get some cathartic release from pointing out the flaws in the systemic, reactionary 'haterade' posts.

Pretty much my sentiment as well. But you know that if those people who make the negative posts ended up being right, they'd be the first ones in here telling us about how right they were

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

I know it's only been 3 games (2 losses), but Elias looks like he really struggles with losing. He's probably not used to losing and I wonder how this will affect him, if the losses pile up. He's doing everything right out there, probably the Canucks best player. But he can't do it all. The D making mistakes he wouldn't, the goalie letting in the first shot and a few softies along the way. He's probably heard all about Boeser before joining the team, how this hot shot kid with the wicked laser shot scores from everywhere. I hope he doesn't get frustrated with the Canucks. 

On 10/6/2018 at 1:47 PM, The 5th Line said:

@reyezone  You're laughing at my post, why?  Drafting Petterson shows that you need to draft for high end skill in the first round, not toolsy players like Virtanen, Crouse, Zacha etc with limited ceilings,

I absolutely agree with you. Even Bob Mckenzie had Jake slated in the early second. If JV had been drafted in the 2nd round he would be a fan favourite. That being said, we got an NHL player in Jake Virtanen, and for that we should be greatful...  be patient, there's more and more consistent flashes of greatness in his game. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I know it's only been 3 games (2 losses), but Elias looks like he really struggles with losing. He's probably not used to losing and I wonder how this will affect him, if the losses pile up. He's doing everything right out there, probably the Canucks best player. But he can't do it all. The D making mistakes he wouldn't, the goalie letting in the first shot and a few softies along the way. He's probably heard all about Boeser before joining the team, how this hot shot kid with the wicked laser shot scores from everywhere. I hope he doesn't get frustrated with the Canucks. 

Real hockey players don't do this. There's a brotherhood in the room. Sure there can be divisions, but in the end your teams your team.

14 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not a fan of going back to a year and a half ago and highlighting people's emotional kneejerk reactions to a pick in an a very transparent attempt to undermine all future opinions of said person.

I'm just lucky I was away from the keyboard when the pick was made.

I will absolutely hold those vloggers from earlier to a different standard though.

Pettersson related stuff in Friedman's 31 thoughts

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-auston-matthews-patrick-kane-william-nylander/

12. The Canucks produced a draft video after Pettersson’s fifth-overall selection in 2017, revealing they felt safe trading down one spot with Vegas, but were worried about the Rangers — picking seventh. One executive indicated that if Pettersson had followed top pick Nico Hischier to North America the season beforehand, the current Canuck would have been No. 1. Another disagreed, if only because it is so hard to be dominant with his body structure.

“You need to be special if you’re built the way he is,” a third said of Pettersson, who’s currently listed at 6’2″ and 176 pounds on the Canucks’ website. “I had no doubt that he was the most talented player in his draft class. Him not playing in North America and being so physically raw prevented him [from going] first overall in my opinion.”

The Canucks were handed a tough, tough schedule to start this season, but that’s probably good for Pettersson, who will learn what it’s like to be the focus of a game plan when you don’t have last change.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I absolutely agree with you. Even Bob Mckenzie had Jake slated in the early second. If JV had been drafted in the 2nd round he would be a fan favourite. That being said, we got an NHL player in Jake Virtanen, and for that we should be greatful...  be patient, there's more and more consistent flashes of greatness in his game. 

Idk, I seem to recall a lot of scouts had Jake in their top 10.  The only one that had him out of the 1st round was Button, who dropped him down in his last scouting report.  Butt's not perfect, after-all, he had 1) S.Rheinhart, 2) Ekblad, 3) S.Bennet,

4) Draisatl and 5)Del Cole in his top 5.

Not a big Virt fan here, but I think he would probably come 3rd or 4th in that grouping.  I also think that being a hometown boy was a big factor in the Canucks drafting Jake.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

Now, back to Petey Boy...

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Being frustrated with his team and/or linemates is something all elite players have to get used to.  I'm thinking he probably dealt with those feelings when he played on Timra IK.

In time, the more skilled players will learn from  EP and adapt to his style of play.  Next season, there may be 2 or 3 youngsters (Dahlen, Hughes, 1st round pick) that have skills that are more suited to his game.

Edited by higgyfan

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

What blatantly dishonest BS. McKenzie had Jake ranked 7th overall in his final ranking. Do you really expect anyone to take you seriously when you make up sleazy garbage like that? You seem to have about the same amount of respect for the truth as the poster you are "absolutely agreeing" with.

Pretty much this.

I don't mind people critiquing our players, but when people start making stuff up to "be right"....

I guess I'm not going to consider fivehole a legitimate debater anymore....

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1