The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Time Lord said:

noy"27 rescues from Fasth
In the third period, the guests would eventually get a hole in Fasth after Martin Thörnberg conceived the burial guard earnestly and Dylan Reese's finish from the blind line looked into goal. After the goal, the HV71 put in a forecourt, but despite playing six to five at the final stage, Växjö left and Viktor Fasth took on the role of match winner after 27 rescues. "

I tell ya, that stuff is golden.   If you are not snorting your beverage through you nose once a period, you are not paying attention.  I love the live feed...you sit there and get things like "Flaxen just took the wife of the guy across the stable" or "Sitting now for sin can is the big red boy man Dexter" and similar.     I know the second one was a penalty but still have not a clue what the first one involved but it sounded interesting and my mind's eye came up with some hilarious on-ice stuff to a backdrop of that fast-paced British slap stick music.

Edited by Rob_Zepp
I am literally to stupid to spell some days
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hockeysverige editor-in-chief Uffe Bodin was on 650 earlier today talking Pettersson, Dahlén, and some of the top Swedish prospects for the 2018 draft:

If you don’t feel like listening, here’s a summary of the main points (going off memory here and riffing occasionally with my own editorial comments):

Bodin had some really nice things to say about Pettersson (although who doesn’t these days) and Dahlén dominating their respective divisions of Swedish pro hockey.

Talked about how Pettersson has moved beyond Forsberg and now compared closer to Nilsson at the same age. He noted that when Nilsson was doing it in the 70s, some teams were scoring 10 goals a game, which makes Pettersson’s scoring all the more impressive in today’s more competitive Swedish league.

Said that in Sweden, the press is really starting to see Elias as potentially the next great Swedish player, and is often mentioned alongside the names of all time greats.

Also mentioned how he expected Elias to have a good shot at playing in the Olympics, especially if he’s springboarding off a strong WJC.

Like most Swedish analysts these days, he said it probably wouldn’t hurt for Pettersson to get another year or two in Sweden before coming over to the NHL. Mentioned how thin Elias is and how he hasn’t yet developed his “man muscle” (to quote Bodin).

He has a point, but I just find it funny whenever Swedes talk about wanting Pettersson to play in the SHL as long as possible. Kinda feels like if a Utica fan said they thought Demko needed another 3 seasons with the Comets. Bodin also said he expected the Canucks wouldn’t agree with keeping Elias in Sweden too much longer (and noted how Gradin wanted him in the NHL this year).

Also mentioned Dahlén and how he has the best Corsi stats in Allsvenskan (and is matching those underlyings with both his individual scoring and on-ice goals). He felt Dahlén might stay with Timrå if they continue to lead the Allsvenskan and have a chance to advance to the SHL, but would likely move to SHL before the end of January if Timrå slips down in the standings.

Talked a little bit about Boqvist and Lundeström (2018 eligibles) near the end of the segment.

Thanks for the summary Sid. Question. Didnt Peter Forsberg play in Sweden for 2 or 3 more seasons after his draft year before coming to N.A.? If so I have no problems with EP spending another year developing in the SHL or even if he were to come over and play in Utica for a season. I don't think that would hurt his development at all. It would probably improve it if anything. If he's to play C he needs to bulk up a little bit and I think that is the position VAN needs him to play to take over for Hank eventually. Plus he can play against men on N.A. Ice and crush the league before becoming a full time NHL player. I just don't think there's any need to rush him. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I look forward to CDC's arguing for and against Pettersson's playing in North America next year. Should be heated.

If he keeps this pace in the SHL and dominates the WJC I think he will play for Vancouver next season. The guy definitely needs to gain strength though so you never know. Another year in SHL playing centre wouldn’t be the end of the world. 

I wonder if hes he’s going to play centre or wing at WJC this year. 

Edited by messier's_elbow
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Davathor said:

If we're lucky we might have a #1 C in a couple years. If we can snag a #1 d-man soon, this might be a pretty fast rebuild.

A core of-

Petersson, Boeser, Horvat, Demko, Dahlen (?) 

Futures looking bright! 

This team is missing a bigtime D prospect for a new core.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

If he keeps this pace in the SHL and dominates the WJC I think he will play for Vancouver next season. The guy definitely needs to gain strength though so you never know. Another year in SHL playing centre wouldn’t be the end of the world. 

I wonder if hes he’s going to play centre or wing at WJC this year. 

Yeah, I think it's a possibility, but far from a forgone conclusion. Has Växjö already said they'd release him to play? 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Petersson is a great prospect. No one thinks we should rush him.  Everyone wants to see him play when he's ready. 

Exactly. 

See how he finishes out this season (and the various tournaments), what kind of gains he makes in the summer, and most importantly, how he looks at the camps and preseason next year.

If he looks ready, he should be on the opening night roster.

If he looks close, give him a short AHL tuneup and then call him up later in the season.

If he looks like he needs time, either a full year in the AHL or a return to the SHL would both be great spots for him to continue to mature and develop.

I’m just done with the hand wringing over his weight. Obviously the stronger he gets, the better (within reason). But if he shows he can be effective against NHL level competition, then he’s ready, regardless of how much he weighs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

I wonder if hes he’s going to play centre or wing at Olympics this year. 

FTFY

:bigblush:

• Cheers 1