The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Bitter Melon said:

They aren't really comparable. Yes Debrincat is only 4lbs heavier so he and Pettersson are both playing at roughly the same weight, but Pettersson is over half a foot taller. That makes a big difference. Debrincat isn't large but he's likely well proportioned for his frame. Pettersson has that same weight stretched out across a much longer frame. Its the difference between a bulldog and a greyhound. They're both roughly similar in weight (or close enough for this analogy), but one is a lot more compact and robust while the other is very long and lanky.

Pettersson doesn't need to put on Horvat level muscle but if he wants to survive at the rough level of the NHL he'll need to put on a good 15-20 lbs or so.

He has time to though. We are in no need to rush him and thankfully he is progressing very well.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

If he ends up being better than Jagr or Scott Stevens I'd say he was a successful pick, but that's a high bar to set.

Better than Jagr...

I'll settle for close to Jagr..... and say its a very successful pick.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

It's happened to Virtanen, Juolevi, Hutton, Hansen etc....

dont see it happening to any other teams....

While I agree, some are overworrying about Petterson's weight, I wonder if this is something we don't hear about with other teams simply because we don't always hear about why other teams prospects that may be struggling due to being too slow.  I wonder, did Bennet try to bulk up too much?  Dal Colle?  Not saying they definitely did, but maybe.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

They aren't really comparable. Yes Debrincat is only 4lbs heavier so he and Pettersson are both playing at roughly the same weight, but Pettersson is over half a foot taller. That makes a big difference. Debrincat isn't large but he's likely well proportioned for his frame. Pettersson has that same weight stretched out across a much longer frame. Its the difference between a bulldog and a greyhound. They're both roughly similar in weight (or close enough for this analogy), but one is a lot more compact and robust while the other is very long and lanky.

Pettersson doesn't need to put on Horvat level muscle but if he wants to survive at the rough level of the NHL he'll need to put on a good 15-20 lbs or so.

Hmmm yeah I guess you're right, never really thought of it that way, was just thinking of him taking hits but if debrincat is bulkier that does make a difference when you're absorbing a hit 

• Cheers 1

On 11/28/2017 at 11:15 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

It can be hilarious to follow with that link if you invoke the translator - examples from today's game include:

"Ejdsell tries to fool Fasth by walking the kitchen route, but the goalkeeper can handle."   

"Elias Pettersson in the goal frame!"  (he hit a post)

"Rahimi pulls down Thörnberg and gets rest for two minutes."

"Redhead Robert Rosén and God-like Elias Pettersson score again when the youngster is in preparation for Rosén, making his eleventh point in the last six matches with a shot at the cross."  

"27 rescues from Fasth
In the third period, the guests would eventually get a hole in Fasth after Martin Thörnberg conceived the burial guard earnestly and Dylan Reese's finish from the blind line looked into goal. After the goal, the HV71 put in a forecourt, but despite playing six to five at the final stage, Växjö left and Viktor Fasth took on the role of match winner after 27 rescues. "

• Cheers 1