The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

Bode Wilde please! We need this guy!

Bode Wilde is a talented and competitive defender that plays a tenacious 200-foot game. His balance and acceleration in-stride is noteworthy and he is never caught in no-man's land, or doing nothing. He is proactive and hard-nosed in pursuit if puck control, and he reads queues in all three zones naturally and quickly. Defensively, he is a beast and always looks to take time and space away from the opposition. He erases the open lane, keeps opponents to the outside, and is physical along the wall. In-transition, he is able to make that outlet pass or, more than likely, take it up himself to set up the trap. Offensively, he showcases a very hard, accurate shot that leaps off his stick. He can also open up space by way of his skating ability, size, and handling of the puck. Thanks to his quick thinking in making the high-percentage decision, he can be very difficult to read and play against. All-in-all, Wilde is a smart, competitive, and sizey two-way D-man that can provide a team with numbers on the board and stability on the ice.

We need this guy on our right side where we are definitely weakest.

Hughes-Wilde

Juolevi-Stetcher

Tryamkin-Chatfield

Good mix of size and skill that doesn't have a weak pairing.

Kind of disappointed Veleno fell so far down. I was probably one of a few who was fairly high on him. Was hoping JB could've worked his magic and gotten us an extra 1st round pick and used it on him. Just imagine a PP unit of Boeser - Horvat - Pettersson - Hughes - Veleno? That would be a perfect PP unit that would be a nightmare for the opposing team. Either Hughes and Veleno as the set-up/entry zone man, two elite snipers and Horvat as the net presence.

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

Jack Drury, Serron Noel, Mattias Samuelsson, Bode Wilde, all available.

Wouldn't mind Serron Noel or Bode Wilde. Noel if we want a PWF, or Wilde 6'4 200lb right hand shot if we want to further bolster our defense.

My guy is Bode Wilde. Bode Wilde decommitted recently and is going to play in the CHL.

Bode Wilde it Samuelson would be fantastic.  

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Kind of disappointed Veleno fell so far down. I was probably one of a few who was fairly high on him. Was hoping JB could've worked his magic and gotten us an extra 1st round pick and used it on him. Just imagine a PP unit of Boeser - Horvat - Pettersson - Hughes - Veleno? That would be a perfect PP unit that would be a nightmare for the opposing team. Either Hughes and Veleno as the set-up/entry zone man, two elite snipers and Horvat as the net presence.

Was hoping the same thing. We didn’t have a lot to work with to move up without a huge trade. With Tavares and Carlson about to hit FA no team seems willing to take on salary until the dust settles. 

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Bode Wilde please! We need this guy!

Bode Wilde is a talented and competitive defender that plays a tenacious 200-foot game. His balance and acceleration in-stride is noteworthy and he is never caught in no-man's land, or doing nothing. He is proactive and hard-nosed in pursuit if puck control, and he reads queues in all three zones naturally and quickly. Defensively, he is a beast and always looks to take time and space away from the opposition. He erases the open lane, keeps opponents to the outside, and is physical along the wall. In-transition, he is able to make that outlet pass or, more than likely, take it up himself to set up the trap. Offensively, he showcases a very hard, accurate shot that leaps off his stick. He can also open up space by way of his skating ability, size, and handling of the puck. Thanks to his quick thinking in making the high-percentage decision, he can be very difficult to read and play against. All-in-all, Wilde is a smart, competitive, and sizey two-way D-man that can provide a team with numbers on the board and stability on the ice.

We need this guy on our right side where we are definitely weakest.

Hughes-Wilde

Juolevi-Stetcher

Tryamkin-Chatfield

Good mix of size and skill that doesn't have a weak pairing.

If there is anyway JB can move up a few picks to grab Wilde, do it. 

If all we walk away with from

this draft is Hughes and Wilde, I would consider it very successful.  

I was rather surprised Hughes made it past Detroit, nice gift. Guess we need to thank Arizona for that, what with their extreme reach for Hayton. I don't blame Detroit for grabbing Zadina instead of Hughes, great example of taking the BPA.

I'm a little old school, and had started the draft hoping for one of Dobson or Boucher. Guess I may need to adapt my thought process to watching and appreciating a speed game.

Now...2nd round. One; how did Wilde NOT get taken? Two; can we get that lucky and have him be available for us? Him or Samuelsson would be great!

34 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Was hoping the same thing. We didn’t have a lot to work with to move up without a huge trade. With Tavares and Carlson about to hit FA no team seems willing to take on salary until the dust settles. 

With Washington clearing Orpik it is looking less and less like Carlson will make it to market.

Lots of rumors that JT is about to re-sign though I think the Islanders did brilliantly on day one of the draft they should have moved at least one of those picks for a solid player to show JT they are committed.  If they don't think they can sign him though, adding Wahlstrom and Dobson to Barzal is a great way to start the rebuild.

I am thrilled with how this draft went for us.  The off the board nature of so many picks shows how nice it would have been to have an extra pick.  How disappointing in terms of action.  A couple small moves up or down and one minor trade.  Hopefully there is more action today. 

So Benning wants to focus on Centres and D.

Akil Thomas sounds like exactly the type of centre he would like.  Great skating, feisty.

Berggen, McLeod, Gustaffson, Jake Wise reminds me of the Lockwood pick a couple years ago.

On D

Addison

Wilde

A lot more are listed above.  Should be no issue finding a quality prospect at 37.

9 hours ago, BCNate said:

That is a scary good draft for NYI.  There are a lot of things going right for them right now.

Wings have to be very happy to though, Zadina could be a stud,  and most people thought Veleno might be the 2nd best centre in the draft.

Honestly yes, Detroit fans should be happy, but I watched the draft with two hardcores and they were both upset that there were no high end Dmen taken.  Like Vancouver, It’s the biggest hole on their team, and they were both furious they didn’t get Hughes. 

Have to go BPA for first round, and in their case, they got a couple gifts. 

1 minute ago, 70seven said:

Honestly yes, Detroit fans should be happy, but I watched the draft with two hardcores and they were both upset that there were no high end Dmen taken.  Like Vancouver, It’s the biggest hole on their team, and they were both furious they didn’t get Hughes. 

JB said he had Hughes ranked higher than Zadina.  I think JB felt Detroit was taking Hughes, and was shocked into complete giddiness when they went with Zadina. 

7 hours ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

I still can't believe ARI went with Barrett Hayton.... he was my sleeper pick because he was buried behind his skilled teammates who are all graduating and he still put up a ppg pace but man, at 5th overall, come on ARI... wth

I loved it, they drafted for need. 

Now we are on to the second round. I'm basically praying that one of Wilde or Samuelsson is available at our pick.

I also haven't given up hope that we can acquire additional picks. I'd love to see us maximize Nilsson's potential right now, and get a pick for him...like another 3rd, or maybe a 4th this year and next.

Failing to get one of those two D, well...Noel is still available. He would be a nice compliment on wing, should Petersson be able to successfully transition to C.

7 hours ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

I still can't believe ARI went with Barrett Hayton.... he was my sleeper pick because he was buried behind his skilled teammates who are all graduating and he still put up a ppg pace but man, at 5th overall, come on ARI... wth

he's the bo horvat of this draft, and in a 2013 redraft, #5 (maybe even 4) is where I'd take bo.

6 hours ago, Odd. said:

Jack Drury, Serron Noel, Mattias Samuelsson, Bode Wilde, all available.

Wouldn't mind Serron Noel or Bode Wilde. Noel if we want a PWF, or Wilde 6'4 200lb right hand shot if we want to further bolster our defense.

My guy is Bode Wilde. Bode Wilde decommitted recently and is going to play in the CHL.

That's a negative for Wilde, in my books.  Stuck in the CHL for at least 2 years, then AHL.  Go for a kid who can go to Utica within the next two seasons

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

Detroit and Ottawa essentially needed everything so just get BPA and be happy.  I am thrilled they took Zadina, it forced us to take a D and get the one we most wanted.

Hughes seemed like consensus number 4 player so great.  The last two years we have had terrible luck in the lottery but great luck on the floor.

Tkachuk's seem to have bad luck in the draft.  Matt to Calgary where he plays in a toilet bowl of an arena with a team that seems to be following the Maple Leaf's plan of the 90s where they think they are one player away but really aren't even close and Brady going to the tire fire that is Ottawa right now.

Archived