The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Kole Lind on Sportsnet 650:

"There was a lot of learning involved in my first year of pro hockey. I definitely expected more of myself, but with all the injuries I was able to step back and learn the game more. I was able to play the way I wanted to towards the end of the season."

"My confidence fell off early, and I wasn't able to do what I wanted with the puck. I'm not really sure what it was that flipped the switch for me in the back half of the year."

"I'm working to get more powerful with my legs, get faster. I want to keep up with the play."

"For most of my career, I was a go-to-guy and I had a lot of ice time. I learned a lot this year about creating my own chances and earning my playing time."

"This season has pushed me a ton more. I came in a little too confident last season. With everything I've learned, I know what to prepare for this summer."

Humbling season for Lind. Sounds like he knows he’s got to work his tail off to get back on track

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Dahlen, Lind, Gajovich, Palmu and Juolevi all came into the year with a decent amount of hype and they all had awful seasons. Very disappointing what happened in Utica last season. To top it off Benning never made the trip there. 

Well he has a guy in Ryan Johnson there who he obviously trusts.  

It's like saying because he hasnt gone viewed in person all the guys Judd Brackett is scouting that there is something missing there.  

One part of being a manager is putting the right people in place. 

I think the Kole Lind interview made it clear that the prospects in Utica are very raw, and fans just need to be patient.  

Edited by SILLY GOOSE
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

On 4/28/2019 at 8:56 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

You bring up  a good point Fred. When these kids are drafted, what input, if any, is given to the player about how big of a jump it is to go from the CHL to the AHL and the extent management goes to to ensure they are well aware of the training commitment they need in order to hit the ground running at the start of the new season. I am not privy to how that works and any input from those that have gone through that would be most enlightening.

Scott Nichol, GM of Milwaukee and Director of player development for Nashville was just on a podcast a month ago where he explained the work they do with prospects.  It starts as soon as they get drafted.  They want them to adopt NHL habits early on so that the transition to the pros is as smooth as possible.  They've even developed a website where prospects can log in and get an analysis of all their shifts.  

His segment on player development starts at the 19:55 mark where they ask him how much communication he has with players like Rem Pitlick and Dante Fabbro and he explains in general the work they do together.  

https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/preds-official-podcast-scott-nichol-shares-expectations-for-dante-fabbro-rem-pitlick/c-306262472 

The Chicago Blackhawks just uploaded this feature on Adam Boqvist and the role that Brian Campbell has in his development.  You can see Campbell on the ice with him in London and the two doing video review together.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Dahlen, Lind, Gajovich, Palmu and Juolevi all came into the year with a decent amount of hype and they all had awful seasons. Very disappointing what happened in Utica last season. To top it off Benning never made the trip there. 

Aside from his injury, OJ had a good season.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

On 5/2/2019 at 9:07 PM, Rush17 said:

Juolevi had a phenomenal start to his season. Not sure what you are talking about. Injuries are the only reason he didn't play the final 30-40 games in the NHL. 

13 points in 18 games for a rookie AHL defenceman isn't had by any stretch. He was just starting to heat up when he got sidelined.

But that means that OJ is something other than a bust and some posters would have to choke themselves on saying something positive about him.  

Until he wins the Calder, Norris, Conn Smythe all at the same time, he is a bust cause Tkachuk.  

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

But that means that OJ is something other than a bust and some posters would have to choke themselves on saying something positive about him.  

Until he wins the Calder, Norris, Conn Smythe all at the same time, he is a bust cause Tkachuk.  

Even then the "realistic fans" would be saying "one year doesn't mean anything".

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Lets just start with him making the nhl first...

On 5/2/2019 at 4:37 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

My reason for being high on OJ has more to do with his positioning and decision making.   Those are what lead to him getting points but he is not someone I would just on points like i would, say, Hughes who creates O from the D position out of plays that most cannot do that.   OJ won't be that kind of player - ever.   OJ is far more like Edler in terms of positioning and like Tanev in terms of how he uses his body.    However, he is better than both (at comparative same levels of their careers) at first pass and zone exits in general.   

I see OJ as a solid 40 point Dman at the NHL level within the first three or four years of his career in the bigs.....he will be valued more for what people don't notice about him than what they do.   I know many remain on the fence with this kid, and I get that given his lost season this year but I think a few years from now people will be very pleased that he is part of the Canuck organization.    

And we sorely need another Mr. Everything on the back end once Edler is gone. I am still high on him as well. My only concern is his health. I have no concerns when it comes to his talent level or if he will make the NHL, I just really hope these injuries the last few seasons come around for him. I feel bad for the kid, he gets the momentum going and then down he goes again... I do think the reason for his recent stretch of injuries is just growing pains. He is tall and lanky, once he puts a bit more muscle on his frame it should stabilize him a bit better. Which will naturally happen for him as he gets older. He is worth the wait.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

And we sorely need another Mr. Everything on the back end once Edler is gone. I am still high on him as well. My only concern is his health. I have no concerns when it comes to his talent level or if he will make the NHL, I just really hope these injuries the last few seasons come around for him. I feel bad for the kid, he gets the momentum going and then down he goes again... I do think the reason for his recent stretch of injuries is just growing pains. He is tall and lanky, once he puts a bit more muscle on his frame it should stabilize him a bit better. Which will naturally happen for him as he gets older. He is worth the wait.

Excellent Post.  OJ is going to force JB to trade Hutton.  

I see a lot of OJ physical immaturity in Lind.  Taller, lanky guys who are still baby faced.  These guys take time to mature, but often pass their peers who matured sooner.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We'll see @Pete M, I'm certainly not down on Lind based on last season. It was just a bit of a reality check that our hype-hype-hype fan base needs. 

We can't expect to have five players graduate from draft to NHL. Then we'd be talking about a 78 team league haha 

If you listen to Utica guys (Trent Cull and Ryan Johnston), they all said that Lind was overwhelmed with speed of the AHL but started.finding his footing later in the year. 

Last year was definitely a reality check for fans. Not every player, even 2nd rounders, will dominate the AHL or even find success. I watched a good few WHL games and you can see the difference in speed and talent. It’s why guys like Rattie can dominate in the CHL. But once that speed advantage disappears you gotta find other ways to contribute. AHL is faster but also bigger than the CHL. Lind’s advantages over kids disappears in the AHL. I still have hopes for him, but the idea all the kids in Utica would drop 50-60+ points was a mistake on CDC’s part (those that had too high expectations anyway).

Last season was hopefully a good eye opener for Lind and Gadjovich on what they need to improve on. To become pros.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

We'll see @Pete M, I'm certainly not down on Lind based on last season. It was just a bit of a reality check that our hype-hype-hype fan base needs. 

We can't expect to have five players graduate from draft to NHL. Then we'd be talking about a 78 team league haha 

If you listen to Utica guys (Trent Cull and Ryan Johnston), they all said that Lind was overwhelmed with speed of the AHL but started.finding his footing later in the year. 

It seems every time I hear Cull and especially Johnson talking candidly about player weakness they bring up separation speed (Goldobin and Dahlen about a year ago iirc). I like it!

It is funny to recall also that a year ago Lind had lit up the Dub and now we’ve all forgotten him because we struggle to think outside of Star or Bust.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, nzan said:

It seems every time I hear Cull and especially Johnson talking candidly about player weakness they bring up separation speed (Goldobin and Dahlen about a year ago iirc). I like it!

It is funny to recall also that a year ago Lind had lit up the Dub and now we’ve all forgotten him because we struggle to think outside of Star or Bust.

Lind was not in pro shape most of last season.  He’s going be be ready this year. 

• Upvote 4