The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign D Michael Del Zotto [2 year x $3.0M AAV]

1 minute ago, Outsiders said:

They Obviously don't think Juolevi is ready for the NHL full time yet. Allows him to develop and physically mature. I bet they are thinking. 1 year of junior, 1 season in the AHL with a call up at the trade deadline when they deal Del Zotto. Good not to rush him smart move

Him and Petterson ready same year is what I think JBTL banking on. 

14 minutes ago, b3. said:

Also no issues with this.

Will be a great revenue generator for Brandis.

LOL! 

Very happy with this contract... 2 years, 3 AAV... Can't believe I'm about to say it but Jimbo you signed a great contract. 

Benning is slowly turning this ship around which is fantastic to see. Another low risk, high reward signing. What's most exciting is that DZ is young and can easily have a bounce back year. He easily fits our 1st unit PP with Stecher, Bo, Boeser, Baer, and one of the Sedins. Can't wait!

2 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

Him and Petterson ready same year is what I think JBTL banking on. 

I think Petterson is at least 3 seasons away. He will likely go to Sweden for 2 years then come to N/A(Utica) and play a full season there. He needs to mature physically like Juolevi but Ollie is 180-185 and I personally don't think he will need 3 years. Maybe 2. 1 in Junior/1 in Utica

5 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

They Obviously don't think Juolevi is ready for the NHL full time yet. Allows him to develop and physically mature. I bet they are thinking. 1 year of junior, 1 season in the AHL with a call up at the trade deadline when they deal Del Zotto. Good not to rush him smart move

Yup.  Exactly.  This signing is a rebuilding move.  It's set up to keep our prospects (Juiolevvi) developing.

A good stop gap signing. Gives OJ some development time. 

The salary is a bit higher than I thought but it's only for 2 years and it's not like we will be needing it in the next 2 years anyways.

3 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Not sure if I am 100% onboard with this one. I love Nilsson and Gagner, but is MDZ good enough at D? Happy with term and $. I understand the team needs players but I don't think MDZ is a god enough defender.

He doesn't have to be if paired with Gudbranson or Tanev.

Still has some upside, but probably my least favourite signing today.  I just dont believe he has shown he can offer enough to warrant 3m.  

Probably an upgrade over Sbisa though...

Hopefully he can manage to play a full season for us without getting injured.  Something he has accomplished.... Never.

Archived