The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HOPE - Do you like the direction the Canucks are heading?

Hamhuis2

Do you believe in the direction of the Canucks going forward?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

What direction are the canucks travelling exactly....... ? 

From my perspective,,,, the canucks are heading towards the nearest golf course.   Saturday April 8th is the last reg season game....

Pretty sure Canucks have tee times booked for Sunday April 9th .   Good times...

I would prefer the club take a road less travelled ......  right to  the CUP>

So what your saying is we should be buyers at the deadline instead?

Who knows what direction the team is heading. It used to be "get younger while remaining competitive" to "We wanna make the playoffs" to "we are in a rebuild" and now there is talk of Benning being let go without letting him see through what he has done thus far. 

21 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Who knows what direction the team is heading. It used to be "get younger while remaining competitive" to "We wanna make the playoffs" to "we are in a rebuild" and now there is talk of Benning being let go without letting him see through what he has done thus far. 

1 minute ago, YummyCakeFace said:

What direction is that exactly?  Do THEY even know?   It changes year to year.  They say one thing and do the other.  

The direction hasn't changed. Draft and develop, draft and develop, draft and develop. 

The rumours of Benning being let go are all fabricated from panicked people. 

Reading into Benning or Linden's comments all the time is plain wrong. Take their word at face value until they prove otherwise, because there's no reason to think they're lying all the time. Sure, they will choose to not disclose things sometimes, but that has to happen when leading up to the tdl. 

We have come along way since this press conference where John Tortorella said the team was "stale".

decided to watch/listen 2 it again. lol.  he basically admits the team's fally near the end of the year was on him.  It's weird consuming this again now that we are removed from the whole situation. i can digest it in a new light now im emotionally separated from the season.

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Reading into Benning or Linden's comments all the time is plain wrong. Take their word at face value until they prove otherwise, because there's no reason to think they're lying all the time. Sure, they will choose to not disclose things sometimes, but that has to happen when leading up to the tdl.

Linden and Benning statements.

One of John Tortorella's comments: You may have to slide sideway a little but during a rebuild.  wow I wonder If John T might of inspired the ownership group of committing to a retool.  That would be something wouldnt it? if it came out after we win a cup we find out John T convinced managements its time to retool on the fly lol

John T: Also had on going conversations with Mike Gillis about getting younger at the trade deadline.  They were in mutual agreement some of the older players had to go out.  He said those deals can be hard to make.  Give Mike some lease there lol.

9 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

We have come along way since this press conference where John Tortorella said the team was "stale".

decided to watch/listen 2 it again. lol.  he basically admits the team's fally near the end of the year was on him.  It's weird consuming this again now that we are removed from the whole situation. i can digest it in a new light now im emotionally separated from the season.

My god I love honesty. You know a lot of fans here realized after the two playoffs series where the team mustered up one, just 1 win, that a retooling was needed. Torts was the best coach in the NHL at having rookies play in the NHL and getting the most out of them. It was just the media liked getting the inside scoops, the leaks, the "dirt" and the free drinks from AV.

He got fried alive for saying that and then..... along comes Benning, slow talking Benning, slow dealing Benning.... he says the same thing and he is a Mensa genius. Except Benning didn't make the team younger or inject youth, he made the team older and just replaced a 25 yr old for nothing with a AHL 22 yr old that cost a draft pick. Statues of Benning are being conceived of by some of the fans/posters. 

Its looking better now because we have a few legitimate prospects but the team is and has been a bottom 5 team 3 years in a row. When Benning started they clearly weren't committed to a full out draft & develop plan.

You could say the team was making strides this year but the only reason that's the case is because we have Brock Boeser. (And Horvat's a year older). Without Brock Boeser this team is really no better than last season.

They've done a nice job bringing in some prospects but they've also tried to cut corners. Ultimately are 3 good draft picks enough to save Benning? (Boeser/Pettersson/Demko) I think they are still waiting to see what happens at the trade deadline and how the team finishes the year. If its another Bottom 5 finish & they goof on moving Vanek/Gudbranson I think Benning could be done.

I do like the direction we are going but I don't have complete confidence they won't try to cut corners again & I also think (considering we have been bad for awhile now) that some of the corner cutting has set us back a bit in the rebuild. 

19 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

From my perspective,,,, the canucks are heading towards the nearest golf course.   Saturday April 8th is the last reg season game....

Pretty sure Canucks have tee times booked for Sunday April 9th .   Good times...

Your probably in the minority group of fans that can actually stomach a complete tear down.  One of the most important metrics a GM has is dollars in, how much a club is making, and unfortunately Vancouver doesn't have the TO,NYR,MTL base that sells out regardless of how bad the team is.  

I'd be overjoyed if Benning tore it down to Horvat and Boeser, in exchange for draft picks and high end D prospects, didnt resign the Sedins, traded Vanek for whatever he could get, told Edler and Tanev to pack their bags and provide a list of teams, and then do our best Vegas/EDM impression for a couple years until we've drafted our stars.  Don't think that's ever going to happen until ownership can also tolerate it.

22 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Just like the Oilers are a cup team this year?

IF cannot see the massive strides made in giving the future of the Canucks a chance to not only succeed but compete at the highest levels, you have not been paying attention.

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

IF cannot see the massive strides made in giving the future of the Canucks a chance to not only succeed but compete at the highest levels, you have not been paying attention.

Kinda tough to not asseble a few good prospects when u consistently finish bottom 3 in the league 

this is a results based business 

jim lemming is running out of time 

50 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

To be devils a-hole here, exactly what strides have been made?

A few prospects, a few good ones and fewer great ones?

I see Boeser making an impact, but not much else.

For a 3 years of tanking, that’s not wowing me. 

11 hours ago, Jester13 said:

The direction hasn't changed. Draft and develop, draft and develop, draft and develop. 

The rumours of Benning being let go are all fabricated from panicked people. 

I donno about the rumours being fabricated. Fact is we are more than halfway through JB's final season under term and there has been no hint of him being brought back yet. The draft and develop method is every teams mantra now with the way the NHL is today. It seems as if the M.O of the team has changed 3 or 4 times since this management group took over and me thinks that ownership is indecisive and impatient with the status of the team which could be detrimental to the team's long term future.

So who do you have that can step in as a GM and President and make this team a cup contender with that is available to us right now? The reality we have is that our run at the cup that we should have won in 2011 is over. We have had the expected years of trying to add pieces and coaches to the core that has aged as all do. Regardless of what team you cheer for this is the reality when they have to rebuild. Patience has never been a strong point of anyone close to the Canucks or the majority of their fans, Edmonchuck has drafted first overall what 5 , 6 times in the last decade and they are still not a playoff team despite having Mc God. I am not happy we dont have star players or a playoff contender any more than anyone else does but i also know that it takes time to build a winner and it isn't done via trades or free agency. those are for teams that are already there and need to add a piece. It has to be done through the Draft. Our GM and presidents mandate is to build the next winning team. This will not be done overnight.Teams have to finish at or near the bottom of the league to become contenders. Pitts burgh did it twice with Lemieux and Crosby. Quebec did it five times straight i think with Sakic and then Lindros who became Forsberg. Last year Tampa was in the bottom half of the league as well. In order to become Stanley Cup Contenders we have to be patient enough to let the rebuild actually occur. Worrying about whether we make the playoffs to go out in the first round is not a successful formula. You don't have to drink the kool-aid you just have to supply us with some reasonable offer of a different solution that gives us long term success

Archived