The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 World Hockey Championships

9 minutes ago, combover said:

To many oilers,

Still cant believe the flames hired peters lol.

canada goaltending was suspect from the first game

Horvat had a good tourney

go sweden go.

Only 3 - 5 Islanders though.  

McDavid and Nugent-Hopkins (and Ekblad) were selected by the coaches as the best players for Canada over the tournament.  

8 hours ago, scheif16 said:

Just admit that teams like switzerland getting closer to the big teams. If you say its a C team but you have McDavid, Barzal, ROR, Ekblad, Parayko...

N1CO wasn't there so the swiss also sent their B team and still won ;)

McDavid - A team

Barzal, ROR, Parayko, Ekblad, Schwartz - B team

Everyone else - C or D team

Goalies - F team :P

So C team seems fair.

With that said, I agree with you. I wasn't taking anything away from what Switerzerland accomplished and I agree that they're getting closer to the big teams. Canada's C team is a strong roster and Switzerland beat them, fair and square.

28 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Congrats on your team making/earning its way to the gold medal game, but I'm still salty about it happening with Canada's C team on the ice.

Congrats on the Bronze, SabreFan1.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I understand that.  My irritation comes with that the tournament needs to move to after the playoffs are over and done with.  That way every country has it's best players on the ice. 

As fun as it is to watch a team's AHL affiliate, you wouldn't rather watch them instead of the NHL even if they are almost as good as the guys in the big leagues.

The other leagues also have a schedule.  Their season already ended in April and they start again early September.  It's up to the Canadian federation and the US one to pressure the NHL to adjust the schedule to the other leagues in the world.   Most NHL owners probably don't even want their players to participate re the risk of injury.  

18 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

@AlflivesTo answer your confused face, Canada would never have lost to Switzerland if all of it's best players were on the ice.

They did in 2006 and almost did save for a shootout in 2010. Swiss goalies always have the game of their lives against Canada. 

Canada management picking McDavid, Nugent-Hopkins and Ekblad as top players in the tournament is a giant metaphor of how this WC went.

McDavid got 12 points in 5 games against the teams they should always beat (KOR, DEN, NOR, LAT, GER). 1 point in the semi’s and bronze medal games, 1 point in the 2 games that were up for grabs (USA, FIN). That leaves only 1 game he played well in when we needed him (RUS). Just like how McDavid got all his points in the nhl reg season this year when his team was already out of the playoffs; these points don’t matter at all unless your team has success.

Nugent Hopkins somehow only got 8 points as a top line winger beside a guy who got 17 points, in which he was on ever PP, and last minute to score situation.

Ekblad’s performance as actually changed my opinion of him. He was terrible! 

14 minutes ago, drdeath said:

They did in 2006 and almost did save for a shootout in 2010. Swiss goalies always have the game of their lives against Canada. 

And the Swiss Team will do it again and again until others start to show some well-deserved respect.

27 minutes ago, Time Lord said:

McDavid - A team

Barzal, ROR, Parayko, Ekblad, Schwartz - B team

Everyone else - C or D team

Goalies - F team :P

So C team seems fair.

With that said, I agree with you. I wasn't taking anything away from what Switerzerland accomplished and I agree that they're getting closer to the big teams. Canada's C team is a strong roster and Switzerland beat them, fair and square.

True, I also agree that there would have been a better outcome with at least one quality goalie. Genoni had an amazing evening for sure. But I would say beside McDavid there is another A-level player named captain Bo Horvat! ;)

1 hour ago, mll said:

Only 3 - 5 Islanders though.  

McDavid and Nugent-Hopkins (and Ekblad) were selected by the coaches as the best players for Canada over the tournament.  

More proof the coaches were clueless.

horvat and parankyo were better.

14 minutes ago, combover said:

More proof the coaches were clueless.

horvat and parankyo were better.

And we will continue to lose in these tournaments if we keep taking soft, one way players, who do nothing unless they have the puck.  Maybe our recent WJC Gold medal team showed that all the players chosen must play the right way for the team to win?

Too many coilers, McJesus is all about garbage points.  He better clutch up or he'll be this sports Dan Marino.  Happy with Horvats play, he should make the next Olympic team.

Swiss and Canadian citizen here, so stoked on how far the Swiss have come and grown in hockey. They've become a legitimate team in international hockey, and not just a rollover team. And they'll only get better each year, with more and more young Swiss players entering the league and succeeding. Really pleasing to see unfold.

3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Canada management picking McDavid, Nugent-Hopkins and Ekblad as top players in the tournament is a giant metaphor of how this WC went.

McDavid got 12 points in 5 games against the teams they should always beat (KOR, DEN, NOR, LAT, GER). 1 point in the semi’s and bronze medal games, 1 point in the 2 games that were up for grabs (USA, FIN). That leaves only 1 game he played well in when we needed him (RUS). Just like how McDavid got all his points in the nhl reg season this year when his team was already out of the playoffs; these points don’t matter at all unless your team has success.

Nugent Hopkins somehow only got 8 points as a top line winger beside a guy who got 17 points, in which he was on ever PP, and last minute to score situation.

Ekblad’s performance as actually changed my opinion of him. He was terrible! 

McD is not a good captain, yet.  Needs to season more. He is not Crosby. 

Archived