The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks reassign F Jonathan Dahlen to Utica of the AHL

Adarsh Sant

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have reassigned forward Jonathan Dahlen to the Utica Comets from Timra IK of the Allsvenskan.

Dahlen, 20, finished second in the Allsvenskan with 44 points (23-21-44) in 44 games. His 1.0 points per game and 0.52 goals per game led the League during the regular season. The 5-11, 176-pound forward also led all Allsvenskan players in playoff scoring with 14 points in 10 games. 

In 2016.17, Dahlen registered 41 points (24-17-41) with Timra and six points (5-1-6) in seven games for Sweden at the 2017 IIHF World Junior Championship. 

A native of Ostersund, Sweden, Dahlen was originally selected by Ottawa in the second round, 42nd overall, at the 2016 NHL Entry Draft. He was acquired from Ottawa in exchange for Alex Burrows on Feb. 27, 2017.

Just now, nzan said:

I'll do my own research too, but does anyone have an idea of a comparison between AHL and Allsvenskan?

Different ice surface and playing style but one could argue it’s around as difficult to put up points in Allsvenskan as it is in the AHL.

Overall pace and physicality are likely more of an adjustment. 

League equivalents are close (NHLe for Allsvenskan ranges between 0.42-0.46, depending on whose numbers, and AHL IIRC is usually around 0.46-0.48).

I’d say it’s fair to expect Dahlén to be a point per game AHLer if everything goes well. Again, that’s if it goes well. If he has trouble adjusting, then maybe half that, at least until he gets his bearings.

Archived