The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks reassign F Jonathan Dahlen to Utica of the AHL

Adarsh Sant

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Ottawa was trading for a vet who had regularly upped his game in Stanley Cup play. They went to the quarter finals and Burrows was a big part of why they did. Is that over payment? The truly classy thing about that whole deal was that Burrows let it happen contrary to other team mates who did not.  

He "let" us trade him to a playoff contender that is pretty close to home? What a nice guy. Not trying to disrespect Burrows but that's like telling Kesler we have two deals for you one in Chicago the other in Anaheim and saying "gee he let us trade him off" what a classy guy.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

He "let" us trade him to a playoff contender that is pretty close to home? What a nice guy. Not trying to disrespect Burrows but that's like telling Kesler we have two deals for you one in Chicago the other in Anaheim and saying "gee he let us trade him off" what a classy guy.

Not really sure what you're getting at here. Kesler wanted to leave (and demanded it), I'm not sure Burrows wanted to. Sometimes players are attached to the teams they've played with their entire career and don't care as much to be on a playoff contender (see Sedins).

55 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Not really sure what you're getting at here. Kesler wanted to leave (and demanded it), I'm not sure Burrows wanted to. Sometimes players are attached to the teams they've played with their entire career and don't care as much to be on a playoff contender (see Sedins).

It was a hypothetical saying that if we offered Kesler his preferred teams, didn't mean to confuse you bud.

We sent Burrows to a good team close to home. It's not like we sent him to a bottom feeder that was lottery bound. We did him a favor as much as he did us a favor. 

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

It was a hypothetical saying that if we offered Kesler his preferred teams, didn't mean to confuse you bud.

We sent Burrows to a good team close to home. It's not like we sent him to a bottom feeder that was lottery bound. We did him a favor as much as he did us a favor. 

It's more clear what you're saying now, but I still think it comes down to Kesler wanting to leave and Burrows likely would've been just fine staying here making the scenarios different and why Burrows "let" it happen. Benning found a situation that made sense for Burrows, which allowed Burrows to facilitate waiving his NTC in which he had no need to. The key thing was the extension Burrows got because the Canuck management likely told him they won't be re-signing him and he could've been out of a job and forced to retire after the season was done which he probably would have wanted to do as a Canuck anyway.

So yes we did Burrows a favour, but the fact is he did us a favour unlike in Kesler's situation. I understand your point, just not the greatest comparison IMO.

5 hours ago, xereau said:

Sens had him at 3rd line winger ceiling?  We haven't even seen him play yet.

Dahlen was a 2nd round pick, 42nd overall in the 2016 draft. I don't necessarily believe they saw his ceiling as a "3rd line winger". They definitely did trade Dahlen in hopes for a big playoff push but it didn't really amount to much as they got eliminated in the second round and Burrows wasn't a huge contributor. The fact remains, an aging Burrows got swapped for a bright, up and comer in Dahlen who has a ton of potential... and so that's why it's a win.

Will Dahlen play in the NHL meaningfully? I don't know yet... but from what I seen, he's a gamer and he'll challenge for an NHL spot this coming training camp and could find a nice spot on Petersson's wing for years to come... and that's amazing to think about/hope when you realize we got Dahlen FOR Burrows and didn't have to throw in any big parts.

11 hours ago, skategal said:

I just hope that if he struggles (odds are that he might) all of us keyboard warriors don't label him a bust out of the gates.  Patience is often in short supply here.  Ideally, this gives him a chance to measure his game against possibly more seasoned pro's so he has a better idea of what/how he needs to adjust before next training camp.  In a perfect world, he's going to light it up, but I'll be happy if he scores some goals and shows decently.  Will be interesting to see how he compares against Goldobin as an example.  

Wise words.   With most of these kids, you are ideally hoping to see them have a solid 8 to 12 year career with your team and by drawing conclusions a week, or even a month, into their first taste of the North American professional game seems more than a little bit premature and frankly silly.   

8 hours ago, Quantum said:

Dahlen was a 2nd round pick, 42nd overall in the 2016 draft. I don't necessarily believe they saw his ceiling as a "3rd line winger". They definitely did trade Dahlen in hopes for a big playoff push but it didn't really amount to much as they got eliminated in the second round and Burrows wasn't a huge contributor. The fact remains, an aging Burrows got swapped for a bright, up and comer in Dahlen who has a ton of potential... and so that's why it's a win.

Will Dahlen play in the NHL meaningfully? I don't know yet... but from what I seen, he's a gamer and he'll challenge for an NHL spot this coming training camp and could find a nice spot on Petersson's wing for years to come... and that's amazing to think about/hope when you realize we got Dahlen FOR Burrows and didn't have to throw in any big parts.

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wise words.   With most of these kids, you are ideally hoping to see them have a solid 8 to 12 year career with your team and by drawing conclusions a week, or even a month, into their first taste of the North American professional game seems more than a little bit premature and frankly silly.   

This will be good for a lot of our prospects. Nothing tests a player more then playoffs. This is where you see who can raise the level of their play. You get to see character.

7 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

huge addition.

Utica adds the 2nd highest scorer from that leauge and they  add Nikolay Goldobin.  expecting a huge run from them.

plus adding Kole Lind...he will adjust and be a difference maker too...Goldy, Dahlen, Lind line....release the beast.

2 minutes ago, BenMaverick84 said:

Unless the retirement of the twins changed his mind, He's repeatedly said he will not waive his NTC

to be fair to Edler he's never actually come out and said that so directly. All he's ever said is he loves it here and hasn't been asked. 

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

to be fair to Edler he's never actually come out and said that so directly. All he's ever said is he loves it here and hasn't been asked. 

I can't find the article but I know at least once he's said he's unwilling to if asked... Also Murph in Feb 2018. 

https://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/status/966460403839467520?s=20

Just now, BenMaverick84 said:

I can't find the article but I know at least once he's said he's unwilling to if asked... Also Murph in Feb 2018. 

https://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/status/966460403839467520?s=20

where in there does it say they presented him with a choice? there's never been a report of a potential destination. He's also said he'd consider a move if presented. 

I'm not saying you're doing it, but its bothersome when Edler gets ragged on over his NTC and desire to stay. Isn't that kind of loyalty usually a good thing? He's actually good value for his level of play, we're not going to get anyone better at that dollar amount. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I think it's more likely we see him extended TBH.

I agree. And why not. He was easily our best Dman this year. He seems to be into stepping up his leadership role as well. I have been down on Eddy for years but I have nothing but praise for him this year. Not sure what has gotten into him. Gotta say I never saw this coming. 

Archived